Author Topic: Testing GenMAC with Unsupported drivers  (Read 31599 times)

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
Re: Testing GenMAC with Unsupported drivers
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2014, 12:54:34 am »
Thanks Doug.

Just one question, does the WarpIn installer patches in some way the GENM32W.OS2 file driver? I uninstall the driver and install it with GenMU_test and I started to get "NO VALID HARDWARE INFO in PROTOCOL.INI FOR (“WRND322$”)" on boot.

I modified "GENM32W.OS2" list with the EgenM32W tool to get back the driver loading.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2014, 04:48:30 am »
Thanks Doug.

Just one question, does the WarpIn installer patches in some way the GENM32W.OS2 file driver? I uninstall the driver and install it with GenMU_test and I started to get "NO VALID HARDWARE INFO in PROTOCOL.INI FOR (“WRND322$”)" on boot.

I modified "GENM32W.OS2" list with the EgenM32W tool to get back the driver loading.

Regards

Hmmm. I checked the patch, it should be correct. What, exactly, did you change?

You mention WRND322$, which indicates that you have two GENMAC supported NICS. Is this correct? What is the other (first) one? Please post the log files for the failure (or send them to me).

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2014, 11:30:08 am »

dbanet

« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2014, 12:15:24 pm »
Hi Martin

I just spotted a thread about WPA2 in the genmac mailing list see news.gmane.org thread WPA2-PSK

In the above thread Doug states "WPA2-PSK support seems to have problems. Try WPA-TKIP. You *may* be able to get WPA2-PSK to work with the updated supplicant and the updated XWLAN, but you should understand a bit about how it all works, if you want to try that. You will also need the new DHCP support."

I also seem to recall reading somewhere, possibly in the above newsgroup, that WPA2 may not work with all (genmac) drivers.

I cannot remember whether my laptops are using WPA2. I'll have to check that later and if WPA2 is not in use I'll give it a try and report back.

Regards

Pete

Using anything but WPA2-PSK AES does not make your wireless access point secure, please be aware of that.

Any other wireless encryption technology is a no-go today.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 04:32:42 pm by Boris »

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2014, 04:28:12 pm »
Using anything but WPA-2 PSK AES does not make your wireless access point secure, please be aware of that.

Using WPA-2 PSK AES doesn't make your wireless secure either. It is just the most secure method available, next to wired (which is also not secure). When you can't make WPA-2 PSK AES work, you need to go to the next most secure method.

The security is in the mind of the user. If they don't think about what they are doing, they are likely to have a problem, eventually. If they do think about it, they are not likely to have a problem, even on open networks, with no security.

dbanet

« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2014, 04:32:18 pm »
WPA2-PSK TKIP is easily crackable, while brute forcing WPA2-PSK AES may take ages.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2014, 11:12:22 pm »
Hi Doug.

It used to have two adapter. A built it ethernet, a PCI ethernet and the PCI Dlink (Ralink) card.  But I started to switch some cards to try out it.

It seems that I had been messing too much with this machine and I will need to clean it up. - which means I will reinstall the software since I had been trying different adapters and installing too much software on it :)

I installed again GenMac and GenMU test, but now the adapter does not turn on (the Xcenter widget does not show the "enable" option anymore).

I will reinstall eCS 2.1 again to try out.
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

dbanet

« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2014, 04:09:52 am »
I will reinstall eCS 2.1 again to try out.

Oh ouch. Before you proceed, you may try reinstalling MPTN only.

Just, as for me, installing eCS never goes right, at least at the first (ten) time(s). :)

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2014, 09:30:09 pm »
Hi Paul

Untested build of wpa_supplicant 2.2 - http://smedley.id.au/tmp/wpa_supplicant-2.2-os2-20140618.zip

Does not seem to want to work here - xwlan gives a couple of unexplained beeps and cannot connect.
Reinstating the older 2.0 gets connectivity back.

Regards

Pete

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2014, 09:32:48 pm »
Hi All

No, neither of my laptops can use WPA2.

Attempting to use WPA2 results in an inability to connect.

Of course WPA2 AES works fine under Windows on both laptops.

Regards

Pete

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2014, 10:48:00 pm »
Hi.

I'm trying on other PC a Broadcom 14E4x4318, mini PCI on a PCI adapter.  It is supposedly supported by GenMac

The eCS 2.1 installation recognize it as GenMac 14E4x4318 and installs the driver.

On the reboot after loading GENM32W.OS2 it locking the boot (without any error) after loading X:\IBMCOM\PROTOCOL\NETBIND.EXE.
It just stays there on boot.

If I reboot with Alt+F4 and stop loading the GENM32W.OS2 driver eCS will load normally.

Any ideas?
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2014, 11:24:26 pm »
Hi Pete,

Untested build of wpa_supplicant 2.2 - http://smedley.id.au/tmp/wpa_supplicant-2.2-os2-20140618.zip

Does not seem to want to work here - xwlan gives a couple of unexplained beeps and cannot connect.
Reinstating the older 2.0 gets connectivity back.

I finally got around to testing locally, found the same issues, and fixed them :)

http://smedley.id.au/tmp/wpa_supplicant-2.2-os2-20140624.zip

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2014, 01:29:33 am »
Hi Martin

Both my Acer Travelmate 5320 and Dell Latitude E5500 laptops came with Broadcom wireless nics.

I failed to get wireless working on either laptop until I threw away the Broadcom nics and installed equivalent Intel nics; for the Acer that was a 3945abg and for the Dell a 5100abgn.

I suspect you need a 5100abgn to replace your Broadcom nic  :-)

Regards

Pete

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2014, 11:33:00 pm »
Hi

Does anybody found the problem that the driver is recognized with GenMac and loads on boot without any issue, but when you go to the "Wireless LAN Monitor" widget it does not shows the "Enable Radio" function enable and on the "Device" tab, it does not shows any "Wireless LANA Driver"? I'm using Wireless LAN Monitor / XWLAN version 3.12 beta 2 .

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 11:55:39 pm by Martin Iturbide »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2014, 03:32:02 am »
Hi

Does anybody found the problem that the driver is recognized with GenMac and loads on boot without any issue, but when you go to the "Wireless LAN Monitor" widget it does not shows the "Enable Radio" function enable and on the "Device" tab, it does not shows any "Wireless LANA Driver"? I'm using Wireless LAN Monitor / XWLAN version 3.12 beta 2 .

Thanks in advance.

That is usually caused by trying to use the "UNSUPPORTED" parameter. "UNSUPPORTED" seems to prevent GENMAC from loading the interface for XWLAN. That is why you need to edit GENM32W.OS2 to make GENMAC believe that the device is actually supported. Of course, you also need to change the parameter to "NONE", but, there are other reasons why that could happen.

GENMU(_TEST) distributes a patch file, for GENM32W.OS2 because Willibald Meyer (the author of GENMAC), specifically prohibits distributing patched versions of his original files. Perhaps patching the files, after the user installs the original files, is pushing the limits a little, but it seems to be the only way to do it without distributing the patched file.