Author Topic: Firefox 17.0.11 won't start  (Read 23047 times)

Joop

• View Profile
Firefox 17.0.11 won't start
« on: June 21, 2014, 07:13:59 pm »
Installed or better said unzipped the zip file into a new directory. Copied the contents of mozsupport.zip to the ecs\dll directory. I use run. So in the ff directory there is a Firefox!.ENV file and the file Firefox!EL.EXE. Normally a program will run without ant trouble with this setup. Its the same as other ff setups, only this time additional dll files to copy. Done that. Yet at start up I get a beep and this;

Unable to start 'FIREFOX.EXE' - rc= 2 - possible cause: 'STDCPP6'

** press Enter to continue **

I have no idea where to look and what this error will tell me. So anyone can explain to me what I did wrong this time?

Thank you
Joop

Ian Manners

• Global Moderator
  • I am the computer, it is me.
    • View Profile
    • ComKal Networks Australia
Re: Firefox 17.0.11 won't start
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2014, 08:13:49 pm »
Hi Joop,

something on the Mozilla OS/2 newsgroup about that,

ok, here it is, from Barbara

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/mozilla.dev.ports.os2/CwW3dYCHOFw

relevant bit below for you.

I ended up here:

https://github.com/bitwiseworks/mozilla-os2/blob/master/widget/os2/README.OS2

I don't know where I've been, but I'd never read this before.
Reading down, I discovered:

6. INSTALL 'gcc473.dll' and 'stdcpp6.dll' from
      http://rpm.netlabs.org/release/00/zip/gcc-4_7_3_1-1_oc00.zip.
      If you use WarpIn, you may install a WPI from
      ftp.netlabs.org/pub/gcc/gcc4core-1_2_2.wpi.
      If you use RPM/YUM, just run:
      'yum install libgcc473 libstdc++' from the command line.

I thought all that was for Firefox 24.  But with nothing to lose on
the T42 (again), I went out and got the gcc4core-1_2_2.wpi package
which happens to include the elusive STDCPP6 thing as well as gcc473
plus a whole bunch of other gccs I already had but I assume got
overwritten.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 08:28:05 pm by Ian Manners »
Cheers
Ian B Manners

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2014, 08:29:12 pm »
As Ian said, you're missing stdcpp6.dll.
Be aware I made a boo-boo and screwed up a pref and will be replacing the build. For now you can fix it by going to about:config and search for dom.ipc.plugins.enabled and toggle it to false.
This will fix the 100% CPU issue with some plugins and be the same as the next upload.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2014, 08:35:44 pm »
The requirements are,   gcc473.dll, mmap.dll, pthr01.dll, stdcpp6.dll, libc065.dll and the mzfntcfgft package.
Most of these are available at Hobbes, in particular for the newer DLLs, http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/download/pub/os2/apps/internet/www/browser/moz_required_dlls_v1.zip.

Joop

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2014, 11:24:47 pm »
Thanks for the help, thought I got all, the last mentioned file was not in the list. Now I've FF17.0.11 running, but there are a lot of things very wrong. I can't get it into another language (that's something else than spelling, its about language toolbar, help etc). The nl.xpi from version 17.0.11esr is not accepted because its incompatible, the nl.xpi from version 17.0.10esr is accepted, can be installed, can be set to use it, but it doesn't make any difference, its English and it stays English.
I copied all the user files from FF10 to a new directory which is used by FF17, but it seems that this FF won't use that. So how do I get all settings into the new one, including lists with sites, passwords etc.?
The add-on container seems to run forever, had to do a ctrl-alt-del for popup and with the list and the kill option for deactivating the container. So for non English users its not an option, I stay with FF10 latest.

Greggory Shaw

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2014, 11:51:58 pm »
The requirements are,   gcc473.dll, mmap.dll, pthr01.dll, stdcpp6.dll, libc065.dll and the mzfntcfgft package.
Most of these are available at Hobbes, in particular for the newer DLLs, http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/download/pub/os2/apps/internet/www/browser/moz_required_dlls_v1.zip.

Maybe some Rexx guru can send me some tips or additions to my drag and drop install script here:

http://www.os2world.com/forum/index.php/topic,361.0.html

Any help  ?

Greggory
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 12:11:04 am by Greggory Shaw »

Joop

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2014, 07:07:03 pm »
Installed FF 24.3, same problems. I managed to use the old settings but found some problems which go back to at least version FF10. If you use a master password and make use of passwords then on the background  a proces is running, in popup it is "Inv.PM wachtwoord vereist" would translate like password required or something. With FF10 this closed as soon as you exit FF. With FF17 and FF24 it isn't closed and it sends the cpu meter to 99.99% with slow responces as a result. Same thing for if you want to install an add on. The manager keeps on running in the background and the cpu meter goes up to 99.99%.

Is this only on my system or is the problem more common?

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2014, 10:13:33 pm »
Hi Joop. i'll try to answer your points or get more info.
I copied all the user files from FF10 to a new directory which is used by FF17, but it seems that this FF won't use that. So how do I get all settings into the new one, including lists with sites, passwords etc.?
I hope that you are using the environment setting MOZILLA_HOME to store your profiles in one place outside of the programs directory. You should always back up your profile before trying a new version. You can go to the URL about:support and click the open directory button besides profile directory to find it.
Here's an article on moving your profile, https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/Recovering%20important%20data%20from%20an%20old%20profile
When having problems such as most you list, you should test in safe mode (Help-->Restart With Add-Ons Disabled) and also try a new profile (firefox.exe -profilemanager) to test if your problems are locally caused by corruption in your profile.
I can't get it into another language (that's something else than spelling, its about language toolbar, help etc). The nl.xpi from version 17.0.11esr is not accepted because its incompatible, the nl.xpi from version 17.0.10esr is accepted, can be installed, can be set to use it, but it doesn't make any difference, its English and it stays English.
Can you give me detailed instructions to reproduce this? I've never played with language packs. Also you should try with a new profile and also perhaps 17.0.5esr
The add-on container seems to run forever, had to do a ctrl-alt-del for popup and with the list and the kill option for deactivating the container.
This does seem to be a bug that I also see. Usually I can kill the Firefox process and start over.
If you use a master password and make use of passwords then on the background  a proces is running, in popup it is "Inv.PM wachtwoord vereist" would translate like password required or something. With FF10 this closed as soon as you exit FF. With FF17 and FF24 it isn't closed and it sends the cpu meter to 99.99% with slow responces as a result. Same thing for if you want to install an add on. The manager keeps on running in the background and the cpu meter goes up to 99.99%
I can install add-ons without problems.  I also just tested the master password thing, seemed to work fine.
Once again, create a new profile and see if you still have these problems and if you do you wil nee to migrate to a new one, see above URL

dbanet

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2014, 01:12:53 am »
Hi Joop, and everyone else!

I am here to point you out my service I run for maybe already a half of a year which although didn't get much attention, may be incredibly useful in the situation of the topic starter and Barbara, where a program needs a library, you don't use rpm/yum, you know its name, but don't know where to get it.

Please read more about http://dbanet.org/libs at os2world: http://www.os2world.com/past-news/79-general/20214-os-2-dlls-search-service

Cheers!
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 01:17:15 am by Boris »

Joop

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2014, 02:38:52 am »
Hello Dave,
I can't get it into another language (that's something else than spelling, its about language toolbar, help etc). The nl.xpi from version 17.0.11esr is not accepted because its incompatible, the nl.xpi from version 17.0.10esr is accepted, can be installed, can be set to use it, but it doesn't make any difference, its English and it stays English.
Can you give me detailed instructions to reproduce this? I've never played with language packs. Also you should try with a new profile and also perhaps 17.0.5esr
Its very easy. You can do it online or offline. I always use offline. This is that you download a language file. Go to ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/ and then go to the release of your choice. Go to win32, go to xpi and download a xpi file, dutch would be nl.xpi. Save the file on your drive, normally I insert version between countryname and .xpi, but thats up to you. Start FF and with menu file and then file open you go to the directory where you saved the xpi file. Open that file. FF will automaticly know what to do. If its okay you can decide to install the file and it will be active. You can check in the options page > add ons or go direct to add ons.
If you use a master password and make use of passwords then on the background  a proces is running, in popup it is "Inv.PM wachtwoord vereist" would translate like password required or something. With FF10 this closed as soon as you exit FF. With FF17 and FF24 it isn't closed and it sends the cpu meter to 99.99% with slow responces as a result. Same thing for if you want to install an add on. The manager keeps on running in the background and the cpu meter goes up to 99.99%
I can install add-ons without problems.  I also just tested the master password thing, seemed to work fine.
Yes, thats right, but when you exit FF your cpu meter is going way up to 99.99%. Because I don't have that much programs running same time this is strange. With popup you can see that still a FF task is running. You can kill it, but this not the normal way of doing things in my opinion. Don't know about you ;-)

Joop

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2014, 02:53:45 am »
Hi Joop. i'll try to answer your points or get more info.
I hope that you are using the environment setting MOZILLA_HOME to store your profiles in one place outside of the programs directory. You should always back up your profile before trying a new version. You can go to the URL about:support and click the open directory button besides profile directory to find it.
Here's an article on moving your profile, https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/Recovering%20important%20data%20from%20an%20old%20profile
When having problems such as most you list, you should test in safe mode (Help-->Restart With Add-Ons Disabled) and also try a new profile (firefox.exe -profilemanager) to test if your problems are locally caused by corruption in your profile.
I use run! so I have .env file for this. Yes I use MOZILLA_HOME and with each major update it will get its own new fresh directory, so for FF17 this will be FIREFOX_PROFIEL_170x and for FF24 it is FIREFOX_PROFIEL_240x. I copy all the files from the old FIREFOX_PROFIEL_1xxx to the new one and start FF. Its roughly the same as in the article. Because the language pack is from FF10 it will notify that its disabled due to version incompatibility. Going to the Mozilla site for getting a new one gives the problem. The add on manager will run for ever in the background. Have to play to see what name will come up exactly in popup, too late for that tonight, another time.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2014, 05:58:54 am »
Hello Dave,
Its very easy. You can do it online or offline. I always use offline. This is that you download a language file. Go to ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/ and then go to the release of your choice. Go to win32, go to xpi and download a xpi file, dutch would be nl.xpi. Save the file on your drive, normally I insert version between countryname and .xpi, but thats up to you. Start FF and with menu file and then file open you go to the directory where you saved the xpi file. Open that file. FF will automaticly know what to do. If its okay you can decide to install the file and it will be active. You can check in the options page > add ons or go direct to add ons.
OK, I can verify that 17.0.11 seems incompatible to language packs, this includes a rebuild with official branding and even changing install.rdf in the language pack. This is strange.
I can also verify that language packs do install in 17.0.5 and 24.3.0 but don't really have any affect. I guess an issue will need to be raised at github. I'm somewhat surprised that the developers hasn't come across this issue.
Yes, thats right, but when you exit FF your cpu meter is going way up to 99.99%. Because I don't have that much programs running same time this is strange. With popup you can see that still a FF task is running. You can kill it, but this not the normal way of doing things in my opinion. Don't know about you ;-)

This issue doesn't affect me, I close Firefox and it closes even after doing the master password thing or installing an add-on. I'd suggest testing with a different profile

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2014, 07:49:30 pm »
Things have changed and to change languages you need this extension, https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/locale-switcher/ and then you can change languages under the tools menu after installing the xpi

Joop

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2014, 02:04:41 am »
@Dave, thanks for the link, but its an extra and it should go the way I described, otherwise Mozilla had build in the function given with the download.

On 17.0.11 I don't have a master password installed, installation of the file did go fine. Program followed all the commands without hesitation. On 24.3 I have a master password installed and there is some trouble with it. I could download and install the file, but at some point you have to restart the program. After this point the program hangs, the cpu goes to 99.99% and nothing happen. You can sit and drink your coffee for ever. If I go to popup then I still can see that its waiting on a password.

So 17.0.11 is now Dutch, but no master password and therefore no passwords. In FF 24.3 I have to clean up a directory and somewhere something is set to 1 or something, so restarting FF 24.3 will end in immediate cpu use shooting up to 99.99% and after that see above with that coffee thing.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2014, 10:36:57 am »
@Dave, thanks for the link, but its an extra and it should go the way I described, otherwise Mozilla had build in the function given with the download.

This is how Firefox is going, remove functionality and return it in an extension. If we ever get 31, you'll see lots more dumbing down.

I think you're master password problem is corruption in your profile. At least I couldn't reproduce it.