Author Topic: Firefox 17.0.11 won't start  (Read 23051 times)

Joop

• View Profile
Re: Firefox 17.0.11 won't start
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2014, 08:48:59 pm »
I started all over again with 24.3. First I got the language install thing. That's going right because there is nothing yet. Next open the xpi file with Dutch. With menu Extra or options, Language set to Dutch. Restart. That's going okay, no hang ups. Next want to open the file "Recovering important data from an old profile.html", cpu go up 99.99% and stays there. With popup terminated. Found on the mozilla os/2 site a list with files and copied that to a text file. With FC/2 copied the files to the Firefox 24.3 home directory. Fired FF and it took a few moments. Had to go through a few install screens with add-ons. It shoots short to cpu 99.99%. Closed FF and nothing stays open on the background. So far so good, but there are a few things, why does the cpu goes 99.99% if I open a html file? I'm going to try again. Also I can't get rid of the tab, even if its only one! That will have an impact on the real estate for the page contents, again a part of the screen lost to useless information.

Joop

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2014, 09:15:20 pm »
For my previous answer I had to pass the password system with a correct password, otherwise I could not log into this forum. There is definite something wrong in 24.3.0 with the password system. Used it only once, exit again cpu 99.99% and on the backgroud a pm password notification for waiting on a password. I don't know what to do, I'm out of options.
I also noticed that on this forum the password stays in the field with 24.3.0, with version 10 whatever that field is cleared.
Because 24.3 remembers its exit it starts with the cpu 99.99%. This sucks.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2014, 12:05:16 am »
Hi Joop,

The Mozilla foundation, in their wisdom, decided to change the way the Firefox 23 and up works with one of the things being how tabs work.  As far as I know there are two things that must be done to restore tabs to the old way.  One involves changing 'Browser.Tabs.OnTop' from true to false and the other is installing the 'Hide-Tab-Bar-With-One-Tab' addon.

I am not sure what is the problem with your passwords as I have no problems using passwords for the various sites I visit that require them to login.  The only thing I can think of is that I have never set/used a master password in any of the browsers.

Also I have not seen the 99.99% CPU usage, maybe because I have multi core processors here, but I have seen a process remain open when firefox is closed - in my case it was the addons not closing.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2014, 05:26:55 am »
Some plugins will launch plugin-container.exe and cause 100% CPU usage, need to kill both Firefox.exe and plugin-container.exe. One example here is the awget binary plugin