Author Topic: Suggestions on how to recover the eCS MBR.  (Read 8210 times)

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
Suggestions on how to recover the eCS MBR.
« on: July 06, 2014, 02:51:17 am »
Hi

I have eCS 2.1 with Windows 8.1 dual boot on a machine. Installed eCS and Windows later. Windows brokes the eCS boot, but with EasyBCD I used to have no problems with Windows boot loader helping to dual boot both OS. But lately Windows broke the eCS  MBR and the Windows boot loader does not work to boot eComStation.

What do you recommend to recover the eCS MBR? I tried booting the eCS CD in maintenance mode, changing the "startable partition", rebuilding the LVM partion tables and using "Rewwrite MBR" option, but it does not work, Windows boot loader keeps loading first on the boot. I have two "Primary" partitions, the first one for eCS, the second one for Win8.1.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
Re: Suggestions on how to recover the eCS MBR.
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2014, 03:05:46 am »
ok, I think I have another problem. I just checked the partition (using cmd on the mantainance mode) and noticed that it can not make a "dir".
It says SYS0026: The specified disk or diskette cannot be accessed.

So I think that the partition for corrupted.
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

eirik

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2014, 08:11:47 am »
Boot from the CD, go to the console-OS/2 command prompt, and specify the command chkdsk x: /f where x: is the drive to be corrected, does the trick in some cases.  This command also works on a dual boot system where windows is present (but you should only perform the command on HPFS or JFS drives). 

Issuing the command help chksk provides more info (also from the CD boot if I remember correctly).  Good luck!

Eirik

guzzi

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2014, 03:37:04 pm »
Like Eirik said, the reason you can't access the partition is probably because it's marked dirty. Chkdsk should fix that.
To fix  the mbr, boot from cd, open a command window and type lvm /newmbr:n (n is drive number)