OS/2, eCS & ArcaOS - Technical > Multimedia

Converting FLAC to WAV

(1/2) > >>

Ben:
In the past I have used the audio converter built-in to eCS with decent success. However, there have always been a few FLAC files that would not convert. AVxCAT took care of those, but now I have some FLAC files that will not convert by any of those means.

I downloaded and installed David Yeo's latest FLAC zip from Hobbes, (1.30), but it has changed nothing.

Has anyone found a solution to converting all types of FLAC files to WAV? Is there another converter program?

Thanks.

Greggory Shaw:

--- Quote from: Ben on July 13, 2014, 04:13:03 pm ---
Has anyone found a solution to converting all types of FLAC files to WAV? Is there another converter program?

Thanks.

--- End quote ---

I'm guessing you have some compelling reason to convert them to WAV.

Try:

ffmpeg -i inputfile.flac - to make sure the identity of format
  ffmpeg -i inputfile.flac -f wav output.wav - but AVxCAT probably uses the same string and the best bet would be to email the author this question too.

Or

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/looking-for-the-best-flac-to-wav-freeware-program.285401/

If not, FLAC is considered to be a lossless format and is just a wav file compressed, and no audio information is lost in the conversion. You can see for your self by comparing a file that has been compressed to FLAC then decompressed with the original WAV file.

Besides the space savings, the nice thing about FLAC format is that it can easily contain information tags (title, album, artist, date, cover art, etc.).

Greggory

Dave Yeo:

--- Quote from: Ben on July 13, 2014, 04:13:03 pm ---In the past I have used the audio converter built-in to eCS with decent success. However, there have always been a few FLAC files that would not convert. AVxCAT took care of those, but now I have some FLAC files that will not convert by any of those means.

I downloaded and installed David Yeo's latest FLAC zip from Hobbes, (1.30), but it has changed nothing.

Thanks.

--- End quote ---

Do the files play OK with any program or other piece of hardware? There is at least one encoder out there that pushes the flac standard creating files that strictly speaking are non-standard. We can always attempt to build something for you. There should be a new version of flac out soon. FFmpeg has advanced and I'm sure I've seen flac related fixes and I'll try to remember the other programs name.
Are the files personal or shareable?

David McKenna:
Ben,

Have you tried VLC? ( http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/download/pub/os2/apps/mmedia/video/players/vlc-2.1.3.zip )

I haven't done FLAC to WAV myself, but VLC has the capability (supposedly).

Dave Yeo:
VLC uses FFmpeg (actually libavcodec) for decoding so is a good test of current FFmpeg and worth trying.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version