Author Topic: Java 6.0 won't run next to FF 17.0.11  (Read 10101 times)

Joop

• View Profile
Java 6.0 won't run next to FF 17.0.11
« on: July 18, 2014, 10:56:54 pm »
Busy today with updating my homepage, just to hot to do anything else. In front of me big fan at high speed for a little air, but that's hot too. I all did it in FF17.0.11 together with Webwriter/2, PMView Pro and Embellish. Last thing before I upload pages to my site is validating. I do this with Total Validator, it runs on Java 6. With FF10.0.12r2 no problems, but with FF17.0.11 the program won't start. I can repeat this problem. Both FF are installed same way, both are using RUN with an .ENV file which are the same. What will prevent Java to run a program which has nothing to do with FF?

Regards,
Joop

guzzi

• View Profile
Re: Java 6.0 won't run next to FF 17.0.11
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014, 11:32:10 pm »
Perhaps lack of memory. Does it help if you close all other programs? A reboot might help too. What is your VIRTUALADDRESSLIMIT?

Joop

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2014, 12:33:58 am »
Perhaps lack of memory. Does it help if you close all other programs? A reboot might help too. What is your VIRTUALADDRESSLIMIT?
Perhaps, 2048. Just put all programs next to each other, but don't know if it was same order and it now just works, total memory used around 300M. Didn't restart the computer, but did close all programs. So may be there was a lock up in memory, don't know. But I can't recall that I was busy with big things, biggest picture was around 1.3Mb, but that won't say a thing how its mapped in memory. And I do work fast, so may be I used memory faster then that Ecs set it free. Can hardly believe that, but otherwise I don't know. Hick up in memory banks with a bad byte? Its hot today, but computer inside temp is just 51degree C which is a good value for chips. System was set up on august 3, 2005, so its almost 9 years old now, for sure you don't get that with Windows, that will stall much sooner ;-)

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2014, 02:12:16 am »
Haven't tried Java with 17.0.11 but it wouldn't surprise me if the new OOP plugin code is uncomplete or otherwise broken. Still better then 24.3.0 which gives 2 cores at 100% or a crash. See https://github.com/bitwiseworks/mozilla-os2/issues/72

Joop

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2014, 09:12:21 pm »
Had today the problem again. Memory usage about 450M of the 1G I have. Again Java won't start, so its not the Java program, but its like Java itself won't start. Is it possible that Java does a test if enough memory is available?

guzzi

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2014, 12:55:40 am »
I have noticed several times that after opening lots of pictures (several hundreds) with pmview that openoffice or java or FF won't start because of too little shared memory. If I look at the amount of free shared memory, there is plenty available. It might be fragmentation, so no memory chunks large enough are available. I'm not knowledgeable enough with Theseus to properly analyse what's causing it. I have marked most FF and OopenOffice DLL's to load their data high, since doing that both use very littlle shared memory.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2014, 02:44:51 am »
Had today the problem again. Memory usage about 450M of the 1G I have. Again Java won't start, so its not the Java program, but its like Java itself won't start. Is it possible that Java does a test if enough memory is available?

Read the README.OS2 included with Openjdk6 starting about halfway under MEMORY REQUIREMENTS. It starts with
Sometimes you may find out that starting a Java application fails with the
following error message:

Error occured during initialization of VM
   Could not reserve enough space for object heap
   Could not create the Java virtual machine.

This means that the amount of memory Java wants to reserve for its heap is
bigger than the maximum free block of memory available to the Java process.
Note that the size of this free block does not directly depend on the amount
of physical RAM installed in your computer (because the physical RAM may be
extended using the swap file, for instance). It rather depends on the virtual
address limit set by OS/2 for the process.
Probably the error message will only show up if starting at the command line.
Joop, you're not clear whether this failure is occasional or all the time with FF17.0.11, can you clarify? I'll have to refresh my memory on how to install the plugin  :)

Joop

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2014, 05:18:30 pm »
Joop, you're not clear whether this failure is occasional or all the time with FF17.0.11, can you clarify? I'll have to refresh my memory on how to install the plugin  :)
I don't know, this was the second time that I updated a part of my homepage. When I do that I usually have open a FF, Webwriter/2, PMView Pro, Embellish and for testing when I'm ready with the page Total Validator. I just notice and when I'm aware of a problem, mine or program, then I watch more closely what's happening, also try to get an error file. Problem with eCS (OS/2) is that's too stable so you forget a few things like the above with Java requirements. Have to dig in, work around for now is close a few programs or close all programs and restart just the ones you really need. Doing that FF 17.0.11 and Total Validator just works together, even that I still have opted in the preferences of Total Validator for an older version of FF with its own directory. I will change all those settings as soon as I'm confident that FF17 works identical as FF10 for me.