OS/2, eCS & ArcaOS - Technical > Setup & Installation

Finished setting up Warp 4?

(1/4) > >>

J.L.:
Hello, I am currently running OS/2 Warp 4 in VirtualBox. I have installed FixPak 15, MPTS 8610/8620/8621, SciTech Display Doctor, Guest Additions, and Warpzilla Enhanced. Is there anything more to add?

Further info: https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=62305

Martin Iturbide:
Hi Jeff.

If you think that your VirtualBox Vm is stable you are done with it.

I don't remember if in Warp 4 Fixpack 15 it was separated the "Device Drivers" on other fixpack.
The other things that I don't remember which TCP/IP is the higher one supported on Warp 4.  And also I don't remember the last version of LAN Services and MPTS for Warp 4.

I only have the fixpack page for Warp 4.52 on the Wiki. I didn't finished the Warp 4 update page.

Regards

Dave Yeo:
Jeff also needs the device driver fixpak, fixpak one and then #2 due to a bug if I remember correctly, he may want to install USB support using Lars drivers on Hobbes and IIRC there were some fixes for the stack contained in http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/download/pub/os2/system/patches/newstack.zip. Might be more that I'm forgetting

J.L.:
@Martin: I'm quite certain it's stable so far, good luck with the Warp 4 update page. FixPak 17 might interest me, but now that you mention it why take the risk? Not even sure where to download it anyhow.

@Dave: I thought the device driver fixpak is unnecessary with VirtualBox Guest Additions and SciTech Display Doctor? What do you mean by fixpak one and then #2, isn't that redundant with FP15? I'm not interested in USB support, I use FTP to transfer files between host and guest. My opinion on newstack is the same as FixPak 17, and I'm not sure which TCP/IP version I have.

Fahrvenugen:
Hi,

The last public FP available for Warp 4 (without a SWC subscription to bring you up to 4.52) is FP15.  I think there was a FP16 and 17 for folks who had paid support.

There is a public device driver fixpak 2 that can be installed (they'd separated the drivers out by the time of FP15), but honestly - if it is working then you probably don't need it.  If you do want it, you can get it here:

ftp://service.boulder.ibm.com/ps/products/os2/fixes/ddpak/xr_d002/

For those with paid support there is also a Device Driver FP3.

The newstack.zip file mentioned will fix some TCP/IP bugs / crashes which could happen with mpts 08621.  It makes the TCP/IP networking more stable, but if you're not experiencing any crashes then you might not want to bother installing it.  To find out what TCP/IP stack you're running, type:

inetver

and it'll tell you.  I can't recall what newstack.zip brings it up to off the top of my head and right now I'm not at my Warp4 machine. 

If you're running Peer, there is a Peer fixpak at:

ftp://service.boulder.ibm.com/ps/products/lan/fixes/ibm.peer/english-us/ip08414/

Of course there are the other standard "must haves" for OS/2 that I put on just about every install, items including:

-DANIS506.ADD driver (get rid of the ibm1s506.add driver)
-EMX Runtime
-info-zip and unzip
-The various libc / gcc runtimes (for running the later builds of Firefox)
-Warpin
-re-activate the launchpad
-Watchcat (along with the following)
  -xf86sup.sys (from xfree os/2 - allows the death process killer for watchcat to work)
  -death9.zip (there are times when a process hangs that only this can kill it)
-Dossleep  (I can't tell you how many times this has come in handy in CMD files)
-Uniaud (although I don't  know if this would have any use on Virtualbox)
-Various USB drivers (but you've mentioned you don't really care about USB)
-Fat32 ifs driver (useful for all those flash drives formatted with fat32, but if you don't care about USB, then this may be pointless too)

Back in the day I used to also install the win32s 1.25a windows 3.1 update and the Windows media player / multimedia update add-on, but now days not so much.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version