Author Topic: Finished setting up Warp 4?  (Read 27013 times)

J.L.

Finished setting up Warp 4?
« on: July 20, 2014, 11:42:45 pm »
Hello, I am currently running OS/2 Warp 4 in VirtualBox. I have installed FixPak 15, MPTS 8610/8620/8621, SciTech Display Doctor, Guest Additions, and Warpzilla Enhanced. Is there anything more to add?

Further info: https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=62305

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
Re: Finished setting up Warp 4?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 12:33:04 am »
Hi Jeff.

If you think that your VirtualBox Vm is stable you are done with it.

I don't remember if in Warp 4 Fixpack 15 it was separated the "Device Drivers" on other fixpack.
The other things that I don't remember which TCP/IP is the higher one supported on Warp 4.  And also I don't remember the last version of LAN Services and MPTS for Warp 4.

I only have the fixpack page for Warp 4.52 on the Wiki. I didn't finished the Warp 4 update page.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 12:53:22 am »
Jeff also needs the device driver fixpak, fixpak one and then #2 due to a bug if I remember correctly, he may want to install USB support using Lars drivers on Hobbes and IIRC there were some fixes for the stack contained in http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/download/pub/os2/system/patches/newstack.zip. Might be more that I'm forgetting

J.L.

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2014, 01:12:36 am »
@Martin: I'm quite certain it's stable so far, good luck with the Warp 4 update page. FixPak 17 might interest me, but now that you mention it why take the risk? Not even sure where to download it anyhow.

@Dave: I thought the device driver fixpak is unnecessary with VirtualBox Guest Additions and SciTech Display Doctor? What do you mean by fixpak one and then #2, isn't that redundant with FP15? I'm not interested in USB support, I use FTP to transfer files between host and guest. My opinion on newstack is the same as FixPak 17, and I'm not sure which TCP/IP version I have.

Fahrvenugen

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2014, 04:10:14 am »
Hi,

The last public FP available for Warp 4 (without a SWC subscription to bring you up to 4.52) is FP15.  I think there was a FP16 and 17 for folks who had paid support.

There is a public device driver fixpak 2 that can be installed (they'd separated the drivers out by the time of FP15), but honestly - if it is working then you probably don't need it.  If you do want it, you can get it here:

ftp://service.boulder.ibm.com/ps/products/os2/fixes/ddpak/xr_d002/

For those with paid support there is also a Device Driver FP3.

The newstack.zip file mentioned will fix some TCP/IP bugs / crashes which could happen with mpts 08621.  It makes the TCP/IP networking more stable, but if you're not experiencing any crashes then you might not want to bother installing it.  To find out what TCP/IP stack you're running, type:

inetver

and it'll tell you.  I can't recall what newstack.zip brings it up to off the top of my head and right now I'm not at my Warp4 machine. 

If you're running Peer, there is a Peer fixpak at:

ftp://service.boulder.ibm.com/ps/products/lan/fixes/ibm.peer/english-us/ip08414/

Of course there are the other standard "must haves" for OS/2 that I put on just about every install, items including:

-DANIS506.ADD driver (get rid of the ibm1s506.add driver)
-EMX Runtime
-info-zip and unzip
-The various libc / gcc runtimes (for running the later builds of Firefox)
-Warpin
-re-activate the launchpad
-Watchcat (along with the following)
  -xf86sup.sys (from xfree os/2 - allows the death process killer for watchcat to work)
  -death9.zip (there are times when a process hangs that only this can kill it)
-Dossleep  (I can't tell you how many times this has come in handy in CMD files)
-Uniaud (although I don't  know if this would have any use on Virtualbox)
-Various USB drivers (but you've mentioned you don't really care about USB)
-Fat32 ifs driver (useful for all those flash drives formatted with fat32, but if you don't care about USB, then this may be pointless too)

Back in the day I used to also install the win32s 1.25a windows 3.1 update and the Windows media player / multimedia update add-on, but now days not so much.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 04:17:31 am by Fahrvenugen »

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2014, 04:13:10 am »
At some point they split the device drivers into separate fixpaks of which there has been two free ones. Since I assume you went straight from GA to FP15, all your device drivers are still at the base level with some possibly broken (Warp V4 was released somewhat quickly and not the most stable). There was a bug that prevented the second device drivers fixpak from properly installing unless the first one was installed.
For things like the HPFS driver and the ide drivers the fixes were quite important to support large memory and large drives, I can't remember if these were in the main fixpaks or the device driver fixpaks.

J.L.

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2014, 05:38:30 am »
OK, I shall try out the device driver fixpaks and newstack. They won't mess with Guest Additions and SciTech Display Doctor right?

Not using Peer, but FTP instead. The rest I'll look into later.

Edit: Success! Thanks for your assistance.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 07:44:17 am by Jeff Liu »

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2014, 01:37:36 am »
Hi.

It is always a good thing that you can make a .zip backup of your .vdi virtual HDD file, so you can go wild on OS/2 installing things. And if it get screwed up you can go back to your backup.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

J.L.

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2014, 02:40:18 am »
I think snapshots are more convenient, but point taken. Already had info-zip, installed WarpIn and EMX. As for the others, I'm not sure I need at the moment.

J.L.

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2014, 04:30:53 am »
Noticed that Warp 4 is lacking SMP support, any way around that? I found this, but it requires MCP Fixpak XR_C004 which I cannot find: http://www.mgreene.org/wikka/Os2Smp

Also tried the first step and got "SYS1078: The file cannot be copied onto itself."

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2014, 06:18:18 am »
In theory you just need to replace the kernel and doscall1.dll and add a psd much as Michael describes in your link. You can get the SMP doscall1.dll and OS2APIC.PSD from any WSEB fixpack of which a couple are publicly available or if adventurous try the OS4 Kernel, doscall1.dll and their PSD. http://gus.biysk.ru/os4/.
The problem is that various parts of Warp 4 are not SMP safe, things like keyboard.sys, ttcpip.dll, snap, and others. I've never been able to get my Warp 4 system to run for more then a couple of minutes with more then one CPU working whereas eCS 2.1+ or 2.2b2 works quite well with 2 cores. Of course my Warp V4 was installed back in '96 or '97 so it has some cruft but works quite well still.
The w kernel is also somewhat faster then the SMP kernel, less overhead and supports things like idle states.

Try moving os2krnl and os2ldr out of the way and then adding the new ones, I usually add a descriptive suffix such as .w4, you also don't need to keep the system and hidden attributes as the system doesn't care about them.
Another handy utility is unlock, comes with lxlite (hobbes) and forces a DLL into memory so that it can be replaced, still need to reboot to activate the new DLL but easier then booting to an alternate system to replace system DLLs.

Fahrvenugen

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2014, 06:52:31 am »
If you're running Warp 4 with FP15, add in the SMP kernel and loader, SMP doscall and the PSD driver it should be possible to get SMP running on a Warp 4 system... But...

The PSD driver talked about in the link is using the older SMP setup where you have multiple physical CPU's in the system (I had an old Proliant 1600r with dual P3's and wseb smp - the thing could run circles around the 'latest and greatest' p-4 stuff that came out just a few years later!).  I've mostly seen this on servers.  Most of the new systems (the multi-core CPU systems, etc) are using ACPI.  For that you'll need the newer ACPI driver developed for eCS (and the only way to legally get it is a license for eCS). 

As for issues with items such as SNAP and TCP/IP, from what I understand the newest version of SNAP had sorted out the SMP issues.  TCP/IP issues are solved if you install the TCP/IP fixpak, the 32 bit MPTS update and the newstack.zip update from Hobbes. 

« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 06:57:00 am by Fahrvenugen »

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2014, 07:49:08 am »
I know of someone looking at the SNAP source, he claimed it was not SMP safe though easy to fix given a license, my eCS system was more unstable when using SNAP though it was a different box. Now with Panorama and all the latest fixes it is very stable except for IRQ issues which show up after a few days.
During the development of FF4 lots of people were having crashes in tcpip.dll, turned out it was linked to the single threading library, a simple binary patch fixed it and the fixed DLL is floating around, I'll give a copy to anyone who wants one.
Your right about the old PSD driver though I don't know how VirtualBox presents itself, ACPI or not or an option. That was one of the reasons I mentioned the OS4 kernel.
Should note that officially Warp (and eCS) is only licensed for one physical CPU though multiple cores are fine and obviously IBM isn't going to care about hobbyists.

J.L.

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2014, 08:35:43 am »
Well, guess I'll give up on SMP. VirtualBox I/O ACPI is needed in order to support more than one virtual processor.

As for getting the eCS component legally or not, that would make this whole journey pointless. Why not just install eComStation then?

OS4User

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2014, 04:24:53 pm »
The w kernel ... supports things like idle states.

os/4 supports idle state as well.