Author Topic: laptop worck with ecs  (Read 6650 times)

bobvirago

laptop worck with ecs
« on: August 11, 2014, 04:47:18 pm »
I have a thinkpad A40      1.4mghz 2 meg memories

I will change  for a more faster . minimum  2 core 2,4, mhz  amd or intel  with 4 g megs

15.6 inch of screen   maybe  hdmi port ,  video card  ati or nvdia  , what is it the best
 I wiill use for ecs.2.2 beta  and  win 7

a used one is not a problem

Your sugestion and your experience ?

Thanks
Robert

Eugene Gorbunoff

• View Profile
Re: laptop worck with ecs
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 08:36:20 pm »

All reports about tested notebooks are collected here:
http://en.ecomstation.ru/hardware.php
-> Laptops / Brand computers

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 08:47:53 pm »
Your sugestion and your experience ?

I have used the following:

IBM ThinkPad T43 (1871), with 1.5 GB of memory. It came with WinXP PRO. The disk is a bit small (60 GB), but it works pretty well. It has an Intel WiFi, and Broadcom wired NIC. Both work with GENMAC, although WiFi needs to use WPA, it doesn't work with WPA2, unless recent advances have fixed that problem (my brother has the machine now). It has a usable 1024x768 pixel screen, but the sound is not great without external speakers. Sound does work properly with eCS.

Lenovo ThinkPad T510, with 4GB of memory. It came with Win7 Home Edition. This was tricky to set up with eCS 2.0, but it should be okay with eCS 2.2 (beta II). It has a Realtek WiFi, that won't work, and an Intel wired NIC, that works with the Multimac Intel driver. It has a great 1600x900 pixel screen, but the sound is not good without external speakers. Sound does work properly with eCS.

Lenovo ThinkPad L530, with 4 GB of memory. It came with Win7 PRO 64 bit. This has a UEFI BIOS, which needs to have the legacy mode enabled. ECS 2.2 (Beta II) installs okay, but the system only gets 512 meg of memory. This problem can be overcome by using the QSINIT loader (advantage  is that you also get to use full memory, as well as memory above the standard addressable area as a RAMDISK - minor disadvantage is that you need to use the /VW parameter with ACPI.PSD). I am also using the OS4 kernel (advantage you don't need to use /VW with ACPI.PSD - disadvantage is that process dumps, or system dumps, can't be understood by the OS/2 tools, and there is some doubt that OS4 is legal). This one has an Intel WiFi. GENMAC loads the driver, and the device appears to be alive, but I have found no way to turn on the radio, so it doesn't work. It has a Realtek wired NIC, that works with the Multimac Realtek driver. It also has a great 1600x900 pixel screen, but sound is not good, unless you use external speakers. Sound does NOT work properly with eCS. This one also has a new style of keyboard. Personally, I like it, but I suspect that anybody who actually types, won't like it.

NOTE: Watch out for 1366x768 pixel screens. They are usable, and seem to be popular with laptop makers (probably cheap), but they are pretty limiting, with modern computers.

All reports about tested notebooks are collected here:
http://en.ecomstation.ru/hardware.php

Be aware, that many reports are not correct. It seems to be impossible to change the rating from BAD to GOOD, at that site. I originally posted the T510 as BAD, because of the problems I had with eCS 2.0. I would now classify it as GOOD, but I found no way to change the rating. For that (and other) reason(s), many users don't bother to post at that site any more.

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2014, 03:06:43 am »
Hi Robert

I have both eCS 2.2 Beta 2 and Windows7 Ultimate installed and working fairly well on a Dell Latitude E5500 which is fairly recent, about 3 years old. Basic spec is: Intel Core2Duo T9600 cpu @2.80GHz, 2GbRAM, Intel GM45 graphics, 15.6" screen, 160GB hard drive

There are problems though:-

1] The touchpad does not work in eCS - nothing wrong with the hardware, it is simply that the eCS driver does not understand the not quite standard PS/2 attached touchpad. There is a chance this will get fixed in the near future.

Solution: use a USB mouse/trackball.

2]  The E5500 was supplied with a Dell 1510N Wireless card (same as Broadcom BCM43xx series) which I could not get working despite lots of help from people who know how to get these things working.

Solution: Swap out the Dell 1510N wireless card and insert an Intel 5100 a/b/g/n wireless card and install the correct drivers from 1 of the genmac packages - which driver you use will depend on the Device and Product IDs eg [8086:4232]

Hope the above is of help

Regards

Pete

Alex Taylor

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2014, 04:52:21 am »
The ThinkPad T400/500 and W400/500 are about 3-4 years old nowadays but pretty nice systems still. They have 16:10 rather than 16:9 screens, which is a big plus in my book (they were the last generation of ThinkPads to have these).  Be warned that suspend/resume on these systems probably won't work, or at least they don't in my experience.  It may be possible to get WiFi working, although it might require some fiddling and updating (I won't go into the long saga I had to deal with, but I did eventually get WiFi going on my W500).

If you want something a bit more fully supported (suspend/resume, surer WiFi, etc.) and don't mind going back one more generation, then the T61/61p or even T60/60p are supposedly pretty good, although I've never used either myself.  (I have an X60, same generation as the T60, which works quite well though.)

Don't expect Bluetooth or Firewire to work in any case, because there are no drivers. Also, the 56K modem, PCMCIA, and IrDA are very unlikely to be usable either, although it's remotely possible you might get lucky with one or more of those. I don't imagine most people have much need for those nowadays, though.

bobvirago

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2014, 03:15:39 pm »

I finally buy a lenovo T61    15.4 inch   dual core  2.0 ghz
 for 99$  CND     with 1 meg  no HD  ,  i had 2 more gigs, and later change the dvd-cdr   for a DVD-rwriter            I have  already a 320g sata    ,

Installation ,    60 gig  JFS ECS  2.2 beta , 200 gig ntfs -win 7  - 30 gigs   FAT32
 the important is to create all the partition with ECS  , and dfsee

ECS2. 2 beta first installtion   work a 90%

wifi work  direct but not with wep wap   
  the sound  no sound but the drivers is ok  i check with Z! to read a mp3

for fix the sound   unimix -id3  -cnt0 -val1 -cnt-1 -val1
i add this line  in startup.cmd

for the wifi , i install the last xwlan    and BINGO all work

I a have a very good machine for less  150 $

Thanks for your help

Robert