Author Topic: Apache OpenOffice 4.1.1 RC3  (Read 83752 times)

Lewis Rosenthal

• View Profile
    • Tales from the Trenches of IT
Re: Apache OpenOffice 4.1.1 RC3
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2014, 05:33:17 am »
Hi, guys...

First, Bitwise deserves a big round of applause for the great work in getting this beast up to this level. Truly wonderful work...

Next, a couple tips for those still having difficulty getting started:

There is (apparently) currently no OS/2-specific readme. This is a release candidate, not a finished product. As such, running it for testing purposes is not for the faint of heart!  ;)

If you find that starting soffice.exe or swriter.exe from a prompt in the program directory does not get you anything, try setting:

Code: [Select]
BEGINLIBPATH=.;
to ensure that you aren't possibly trying to load a dll from your (most likely still installed) OOo 3.x installation.

If you find that starting soffice.exe or swriter.exe from a prompt in the program directory yields you an error message, look closely at the failing module in the error dialog. Grab PMDll (from http://home.earthlink.net/~steve53/os2tools/index.html or my FTP mirror ftp://ftp.2rosenthals.com/pub/warpcave/os2tools), unzip it, and load the failing module in that to see what dependency (likely) failed. (In my case this evening, I didn't have libxslt installed - which surprised me, actually - and this caused a cascade failure starting with sal3.dll, which is one of the modules shipped with OOo, and in turn, caused deploy.dll not to load, stopping soffice.exe right after the splash panel came up.)

PMDll is your friend, particularly when you don't have the sources handy to determine exactly what the dependencies actually are. You can load exe's and dll's with it, and it presents a handy tree view. Set the option to test load, and you can make sure that the versions you are loading are the ones which satisfy the required dependencies.

Anyway, HTH, and happy testing (and don't forget to switch to the debug build in case things really do go wrong, so you can get enough information for a useful trouble ticket).

Cheers
Lewis
-------------------------------------------------------------
Lewis G Rosenthal, CNA, CLP, CLE, CWTS
Managing Member
Arca Noae, LLC                               www.arcanoae.com

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2014, 06:02:26 am »
Hi Joop

As I have simply unzipped and OO411rc3 works fine - so far - I can only guess that the requirements are about the same as for an earlier beta of OO4 so here is the readme included with that release:-

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apache OpenOffice 4.0 Developer Build
=====================================

Apache OpenOffice is comprised of six personal productivity applications: a
word processor (and its web-authoring component), spreadsheet, presentation
graphics, drawing, equation editor, and database.

IMPORTANT: These builds are intended to be used for early testing by other
community volunteers. They have no release quality and should not be installed
in a production environment. Developer snapshots can be unstable and are
expected to have bugs.

Installation notes:
-------------------
The package is provided only in zip file format, and it will not use your
OpenOffice GA user configuration.

System requirements:
--------------------
- eComStation 1.x, 2.x
- OS/2 Warp
- 32bit tcpip stack
- the following packages must be installed (dll only)
   libc 0.6.5
   gcc 4.4.6
   gcc 4.4.4
   ssl
   curl
   jpeg
   xslt
   libicu
   z
   xml2
   stdcpp
   mmap
   pthread
   urpo

These files can be installed with the following command:

yum install libc gcc-4.4.4 gcc-4.4.6 openssl curl libjpeg libxslt libicu zlib libxml2 stdcpp mmap pthread urpo gcc-stdc++-shared-library

if you have a valid rpm/yum installation.
Otherwise you can grab the corresponding zip files from

http://rpm.netlabs.org/release/00/zip/

Only the dlls are needed.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope the above is of some help - looks like you may need libicu judging by the error message but I think you should also check you have all other need lib files.

Regards

Pete

dbanet

« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2014, 10:18:01 am »
I have more than one office program which runs in OS/2-eCS. I can start them all if I want to.

I have this command file;

@echo off
set LIBPATH=i:\office\OpenOffice4\program;%LIBPATH%
set path=i:\office\OpenOffice4
I:
cd i:\office\OpenOffice4\program
soffice.exe

I get an error which I can't translate into a missing file or so.

A popup appears with the message
return code: 2
failing module:ICUUC42

That's it, end excution and I'm back on the prompt, did start the commandfile in an eCS command session. I played with some set libpath and set path settings, same popup.

I think that a little readme or reados2 or something won't do harm.

Joop, setting a LIBPATH environment variable doesn't give you anything at all.
If you read your CONFIG.SYS file, you may notice, that in contrast with the environment variable PATH, which is set up with a string like this:
SET PATH=C:\OS2; ... ; ... ; ..., LIBPATH is not an environment variable. It is an OS/2 command, that may be executed only during startup (when CONFIG.SYS gets executed):
LIBPATH=C:\OS2\DLL;.;C:\usr\lib; ... ; ... ; ..., so setting a LIBPATH environment variable in your local cmd interpreter environment although doesn't fail, but neither does give you anything useful. It does not extend your LIBPATH.

But it is still possible by using BEGINLIBPATH and ENDLIBPATH. These are the features of ours OS/2 command interpreter that allows you to make it (the command interpreter) to extend its own LIBPATH (locally) prepending (BEGINLIBPATH) or appending (ENDLIBPATH) new paths to it. When you then start a child process, like a new OS/2 session, or a program (OpenOffice), it inherits the extended LIBPATH.

So for your case you should've written:
SET BEGINLIBPATH=I:\office\OpenOffice4
That would work, although neither BEGINLIBPATH, nor ENDLIBPATH are not environment variables, they are just a way to tell CMD.EXE to extend its LIBPATH.

Although now I can't see how can your script help. In CONFIG.SYS, the global setup of LIBPATH may contain or not contain a dot, i. e. the current working directory. But it is usually there. If you have reasons, you may remove it, but you will usually need to do more work (like writing this script) to start most of the apps. But again, if your global LIBPATH contains the current working directory, creating a program object is just enough.

You can also extend LIBPATH using BEGINLIBPATH (or ENDLIBPATH) with a dot like Lewis said, but I've read somewhere (can't google it back), that the needed command is not straight-forward SET BEGINLIBPATH=., but:
SET BEGINLIBPATH=.\.I can't remember the reasons, but I use .\., and it works for me, so I recommend using this instead.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 06:10:43 pm by Boris »

Lewis Rosenthal

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2014, 04:03:01 pm »
Good morning...

Failing ICUUC42:
[j:\] yum whatprovides icuuc42.dll
[...]
libicu-4.2.1-1.oc00.i386 : International Components for Unicode (development
                         : files)
Repo        : netlabs-exp
Matched from:
Other       : icuuc42.dll(B

libicu-4.2.1-1.oc00.i386 : International Components for Unicode (development
                         : files)
Repo        : netlabs-rel
Matched from:
Other       : icuuc42.dll(B

[j:\] yum info libicu
[...]
Available Packages
Name       : libicu
Arch       : i386
Version    : 4.2.1
Release    : 1.oc00
Size       : 7.2 M
Repo       : netlabs-exp
Summary    : International Components for Unicode (development files)
URL        : http://ibm.com/software/globalization/icu
License    : IBM Public License
Description: ICU is a set of C and C++ libraries that provides robust and
           : full-featured Unicode support. This package contains the runtime
           : libraries for ICU. It does not contain any of the data files needed

: at runtime and present in the `icu' and `icu-locales` packages.
           :
           :
           :
           : Authors:
           : --------
           :     The ICU project, International Business Machines (IBM) and
           :     Others.  <icu@oss.software.ibm.com>

Per the earlier mention, install libicu, and the module should not fail.

Also:

return code: 2

means:

[j:\] help SYS0002

SYS0002: The system cannot find the file specified.

EXPLANATION: The file named in the command does not exist in the
current directory or search path specified or the file name was
entered incorrectly.

ACTION: Retry the command using the correct file name.

Thus, the module (dll) could not be found in order to be loaded.

HTH
Lewis
Managing Member

David McKenna

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2014, 05:14:34 pm »
 Unfortunately, this version of OpenOffice is nearly unusable on my system. After a fresh boot, I can open up to 2 of the apps, the 3rd will not start (gives errors about dll's - I have all needed dll's installed). Neither will just about any other program start. Even after closing the OpenOffice apps, Firefox will not start until I reboot. Opening and closing OpenOffice apps after a few iterations the WPS gets flakey and eventually crashes. It seems to me that shared memory may be getting used up by this beast and not being released (I have 4GB memory btw). The only way I have found to be able to use it is by only using one app at a time and rebooting after using it. Anybody got any tips on how this could be managed?

guzzi

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2014, 05:31:53 pm »

It seems to me that shared memory may be getting used up by this beast and not being released (I have 4GB memory btw). The only way I have found to be able to use it is by only using one app at a time and rebooting after using it. Anybody got any tips on how this could be managed?

Or just fragmented which will lead to the same problems. I have marked the openoffice dlls to load high with above512, this greatly reduces the use of shared memory. I have only tested a little bit, but sofar it seems to work well.

Andreas Schnellbacher

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2014, 05:45:38 pm »
yum install libc gcc-4.4.4 gcc-4.4.6 openssl curl libjpeg libxslt libicu zlib libxml2 stdcpp mmap pthread urpo gcc-stdc++-shared-library
Thanks Pete. After installing/updating some of these packages, the icuuc42 error msg is gone for me.

I had previously installed OOo 3.2. Unfortunately executing swriter.exe with cmd.exe from the 4.1.1rc3 program dir gives no error msg anymore, but two entries in popuplog.os2:

------------------------------------------------------------

08-23-2014  17:37:34  SYS3176  PID 0090  TID 0001  Slot 00b7
F:\APPS\OPENOFFICE4.1.1RC3\PROGRAM\SOFFICE.BIN
c000001c
14541fe8
EAX=00000001  EBX=003182a3  ECX=003182a0  EDX=00000000
ESI=003182a0  EDI=002d237c 
DS=0053  DSACC=f0f3  DSLIM=ffffffff 
ES=0053  ESACC=f0f3  ESLIM=ffffffff 
FS=150b  FSACC=00f3  FSLIM=00000030
GS=0000  GSACC=****  GSLIM=********
CS:EIP=005b:14541fe8  CSACC=f0df  CSLIM=ffffffff
SS:ESP=0053:0012fdb8  SSACC=f0f3  SSLIM=ffffffff
EBP=00cea38e  FLG=00010246

CPPU3.DLL 0001:00001fe8

------------------------------------------------------------

08-23-2014  17:37:34  SYS3175  PID 0090  TID 0001  Slot 00b7
F:\APPS\OPENOFFICE4.1.1RC3\PROGRAM\SOFFICE.BIN
c0000005
146ca218
P1=00000002  P2=00000004  P3=XXXXXXXX  P4=XXXXXXXX 
EAX=00000000  EBX=1166f638  ECX=1486ec50  EDX=0012fe3c
ESI=0012fe3c  EDI=00000000 
DS=0053  DSACC=f0f3  DSLIM=ffffffff 
ES=0053  ESACC=f0f3  ESLIM=ffffffff 
FS=150b  FSACC=00f3  FSLIM=00000030
GS=0000  GSACC=****  GSLIM=********
CS:EIP=005b:146ca218  CSACC=f0df  CSLIM=ffffffff
SS:ESP=0053:0012fdd8  SSACC=f0f3  SSLIM=ffffffff
EBP=0012fe00  FLG=00010246

SAL3.DLL 0001:0002a218

Some more details:
  • PMDLL shows no missing DLLs.
  • I have .; as the first segment of the LIBPATH entry.
  • libstdc++6 and libsupc++6 were already installed.
  • Shared memory shouldn't be involved. I closed all Mozilla apps before.

Any ideas?

David McKenna

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2014, 05:53:03 pm »
@ Andreas: make sure the Quickstart from version 3 is not loaded. That one tripped me up at first.

@guzzi: there is a 'highmem' archive file in the directory I got OpenOffice from. I just downloaded it and it appears to be an updated version of ABOVE512 that you mention. I'll give it a try, thanks.

Andi B.

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2014, 06:04:31 pm »
A few observations with 4.1.1rc3 -

Do not use too long paths.
T:\Temp\Apache_OpenOffice_4_os2gcci_install123\Apache_OpenOffice_4.1.1_os2gcci_install-arc_en-US\OpenOffice 4\program\soffice.exedoes not work but

T:\Temp\Apache_OpenOffice_4_os2gcci_install12\Apache_OpenOffice_4.1.1_os2gcci_install-arc_en-US\OpenOffice 4\program\soffice.exeworks. Seems there is some 128 char limit. I've created a ticket for that.

Memory -
I had all sort of memory leaks. Lower shared memory and higher shared memory run outs when using the dlls marked as HighMem or not. I could not start soffice.exe and immediately closing it more than 7 times before I had to reboot as there was no shared mem left.

But now after fresh reboot and fresh unzip an not loading dlls high it seems AOO gives all memory back when closing. I've successfully tried more than 12 times now. And Above512 still says
pm: 200256 sm: 127168  <---512---> pm: 917504 sm: 780552Starting soffice.exe and closing gives the same values.

I don't know why I had this terrible memory leaks before (about 85MB every start/close). Maybe it's because I loaded dlls high (will try soon) ore more likely cause I started different AOO and OO versions (3.3, 4.0, ) in parallel or one after each other. Maybe one of the 4.0 dlls was still loaded and leads to that problem, currently I don't know.

dbanet

« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2014, 06:16:45 pm »
Above512 still says
pm: 200256 sm: 127168  <---512---> pm: 917504 sm: 780552Starting soffice.exe and closing gives the same values.

above512's method of determining amounts of memory (DosQuerySysInfo) does not actually give fairly reasonable results. The best way it seems is to use Theseus4 kernel API or Theseus itself.

Matt Walsh

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2014, 06:22:07 pm »
Thanks to Pete, Boris and Lewis I got all the dlls downloaded with yum and set the beginlibpath with .\.   Tried to start the AOO with X:\openofffice4\program\soffice.exe and got a further down error.
This error message says: exception occured raising singleton "/singletons/com.sun.star.deployment.ExtensionManager":   loading library failed: file :///X:/openoffice4/program/../program/deploy.dll"

I looked and the deploy.dll is in the directory noted.  Any further suggestions?
Again I realize it's a RC and I appreciate the help so far.
Thanks
Matt

guzzi

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2014, 06:41:07 pm »

This error message says: exception occured raising singleton "/singletons/com.sun.star.deployment.ExtensionManager":   loading library failed: file :///X:/openoffice4/program/../program/deploy.dll"

I had that one too. Means you have still some dependency missing. In my case it was libxslt.

Andreas Schnellbacher

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2014, 06:49:07 pm »
@ Andreas: make sure the Quickstart from version 3 is not loaded. That one tripped me up at first.
Thanks, I made that sure before by renaming the OpenOffice.org.3 dir when I booted to my service partition.

Lewis Rosenthal

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2014, 07:16:21 pm »
@ guzzi: Re: libxslt - as mentioned before, this one got me, too.  ;)

@ Matt: open deploy.dll in PMDll. set the option to test load dlls from the menu. Trace down the tree, looking for red entries. As guzzi and I discovered, this one was a missing libxslt package. Another good way to be sure that you don't have a conflicting dll in memory is to set LIBPATHSTRICT=T (just in case there is some stray copy of something from somewhere else which is getting in the way).

All: FWIW, I grabbed Yuri's highmem utility from dropbox, and (blindly) marked all OO dll's in \program to load code and data high (-b option) via:
for %a in (*.dll) do highmem -b %a

(highmem does not accept wildcards).

I was impressed with the amount of shared memory it left me when I had Writer, Calc, and Impress loaded (with documents: 4-sheet worksheet, 27-page odt, and a 20+ slide odp). However, upon closing the last of them, my system trapped (000e).  :P

It will take me a bit of experimenting to determine just which ones should get loaded high (likely the biggest ones, though the little ones tend to fragment more when unloading, for obvious reasons), but the opportunity is there, at least.

Overall, I'm still impressed not only by the build, but by OO4, in general. It generates pdfs considerably faster than 3.2, and the pdfs are tighter (I trimmed almost 1K off of a 17K pdf, so thinking about some really big documents, this looks like it is considerably more efficient). I haven't tested printing, yet, nor have I really worked any of the apps, for that matter (I'd like to get them to exit cleanly; even before marking the dll's, I was seeing an exceptq report upon exit).

Cheers, and good luck, guys. Hopefully, you'll be able to get past these dependency issues (and whatever else) quickly, and without much more frustration.

Cheers
Lewis
Managing Member

dbanet

« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2014, 07:24:59 pm »
for %a in (*.dll) do highmem -b %a

(highmem does not accept wildcards).

Hrm? For me it does.

However, upon closing the last of them, my system trapped (000e).

Do you use the latest kernel (14.106_SMP)?
The bug with trapping on unload of DLLs loaded high has been fixed in 106.

It will take me a bit of experimenting to determine just which ones should get loaded high (likely the biggest ones, though the little ones tend to fragment more when unloading, for obvious reasons), but the opportunity is there, at least.

When the first build of AOO4 came up, I've got it running well with DLLs loaded high as well, and I simply did highmem *.dll in all directories where I found any DLLs (it's not the `program' one only).

By the way, I also run with all Qt4 DLLs loaded high (the webkit one is pretty huge, heh), with no apparent problem.