Author Topic: Apache OpenOffice 4.1.1 RC3  (Read 83716 times)

Joop

• View Profile
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.1 RC3
« on: August 22, 2014, 12:36:02 am »
Downloaded the file, its going slow, it took about 12 minutes to complete.  The file name Apache_OpenOffice_4.1.1_os2gcci_install-arc_en-US-rc3-strip.zip suggest some kind of installation program. Didn't found one. There was a readme, but I couldn't discover any words about OS/2 or eComStation nor what you need in order to run the program. Its like something is missing, but I might be wrong.
So, said that, how do I start this monster?

Regards,
Joop 

ivan

• View Profile
Re: Apache OpenOffice 4.1.1 RC3
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2014, 01:28:48 am »
Unzip it, you should find an openoffice 4 directory in there - that is the one you need.

Copy that directory somewhere convenient - we renamed it to openoffice-41 for convenience.

Make a program object with the following:  Path and File Name - <drive>\openoffice-41\program\soffice.exe
                                                               Working Directory - <drive>\openoffice-41\program

Name the program object to something like OpenOffice 4.1.1

That is it, other than making sure you have all the necessary DLLs available in the DPATH.

Sigurd Fastenrath

• OS/2 Versus Hardware - Maximum Warp!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2014, 08:32:15 am »
Good news!

Just donated the money, downloaded the file and will give it a try.

That gives hope for the future of the other OS/2 development started by Lewis, bitwise etc.  :)

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2014, 12:30:04 pm »
Hi ivan

Surely DLL files should be available in the LIBPATH not the DPATH ?

regards

Pete

Andi B.

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2014, 01:09:23 pm »
I start soffice.exe from cmd line in the \program directory. Or by clicking on the symbol in that folder or dragging a reference somewhere ...

No need to play with libpath.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2014, 01:37:52 pm »
Hi Pete,

Yes, you are correct.  My post was made in the early hours of the morning after a 18 hour day at work.

Andi B, unless you have moved the required external DLLs in with the OO DLLs your method will not work - not strictly true if you have the other DLLs in os2\dll which should be in the LIBPATH.

Andi B.

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2014, 04:25:14 pm »
Ivan
unless you have moved the required external DLLs in with the OO DLLs your method will not work
I do not really understand what you mean with this. AOO dlls are all in \program dir. If you drop a reference somewhere maybe it will be required to set the 'Start in directory' (?) setting in the object. Have to check.

Other required dlls (gcc... libc...) are up to date in \usr\lib by 'yum update' on my system which is of course in libpath.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2014, 04:44:15 pm »
Other required dlls (gcc... libc...) are up to date in \usr\lib by 'yum update' on my system which is of course in libpath.

Those are the ones I was talking about and not everyone uses RPM/YUM or even has it on their computer.

Matt Walsh

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2014, 06:44:22 pm »
OK, I installed the "https://www.dropbox.com/sh/350r8h2dpuxsg8w/AACiO6nvExrjsIVGBvqaeKqAa/aoo/Apache_OpenOffice_4.1.1_os2gcci_install-arc_en-US-rc3-strip.zip" file.  Unzipped it into OpenOffice 4 directory and tried to run the soffice.exe after updating my yum.  Get error message "failing module:stdcpp6" which I think is a missing dll update.  Any suggestions what I need and where to get it?
Thanks
Matt Walsh

Silvan Scherrer

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2014, 07:18:09 pm »
Matt

yum install libstdc++6 libsupc++6

regards
Silvan
kind regards
Silvan
CTO bww bitwise works GmbH

Please help us with donations, so we can further work on OS/2 based projects. Our Shop is at https://www.bitwiseworks.com/shop/index.php

Silvan Scherrer

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2014, 07:22:40 pm »
Hi all,

if someone would write a small readme or howto install,  would be more than happy.

regards
Silvan
kind regards
Silvan
CTO bww bitwise works GmbH

Please help us with donations, so we can further work on OS/2 based projects. Our Shop is at https://www.bitwiseworks.com/shop/index.php

Andy Willis

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2014, 09:31:54 pm »
I cheated... I renamed the directories under the Openoffice.org.3 folder (except program where I created a backup folder and moved the stuff to it as ooodoc.dll was in use) and put the stuff from Openoffice4 under it.  That left in place the program objects from the OpenOffice3 install and left the ooodoc.dll which does the associations in place as well.

Joop

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2014, 01:01:58 am »
I have more than one office program which runs in OS/2-eCS. I can start them all if I want to.

I have this command file;

@echo off
set LIBPATH=i:\office\OpenOffice4\program;%LIBPATH%
set path=i:\office\OpenOffice4
I:
cd i:\office\OpenOffice4\program
soffice.exe

I get an error which I can't translate into a missing file or so.

A popup appears with the message
return code: 2
failing module:ICUUC42

That's it, end excution and I'm back on the prompt, did start the commandfile in an eCS command session. I played with some set libpath and set path settings, same popup.

I think that a little readme or reados2 or something won't do harm.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 01:11:19 am by Joop »

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2014, 02:39:08 am »
Joop, do you have the extra required DLLs somewhere in your LIBPATH?

Here we have the older beta and now this one running on 9 different machines, all without problems.  A tenth machine has a problem but we expected that because of what it is setup to do.

All of the instances we have running are started from a Program Object with the properties as I listed them near the start of this thread.  We also have both the full version and the stripped down versions starting and working without problems so far - as I type this I have the stripped down version open at a manual I am editing as well and can change between browser and OO without problems.

Joop

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2014, 03:08:17 am »
Joop, do you have the extra required DLLs somewhere in your LIBPATH?
Required what? There is no file with any information for OS/2-eCS with info what you need for a machine, memory or installed libs. So I don't know, but everything else is running fine on my machine, except a few Java programs.