Author Topic: Apache OpenOffice 4.1.1 RC3  (Read 87742 times)

Greggory Shaw

• View Profile
Re: Apache OpenOffice 4.1.1 RC3
« Reply #60 on: September 01, 2014, 12:46:43 am »
Where can you get the 14.106_W kernel ?

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 01, 2014, 03:40:01 am »
Comes with eCS 2.2b2 (and I believe 2.2b1) and should be located in \os2\install\w4 after install. Some people also seem to have FP#6 where it originates, where they got it I don't know but probably from Mensys.

dbanet

« Reply #62 on: September 01, 2014, 03:39:44 pm »
Where can you get the 14.106_W kernel ?

Greggory, please see your private messages inbox.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 03:44:02 pm by Boris »

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 11, 2014, 04:40:41 pm »
Hi All

I have been using OO4.1.1RC3 with update1 applied for a few weeks and have successfully printed a few documents within that time. However, all those documents have been black text only.

On trying to print a document with text in various colours I find that the printed output is mono with greyscale used to represent colours.

I was using cups148, ghostscript8.71 and gutenprint5.2.7 so updated to the latest cups packages - cups2.0, ghostscript9.15 and gutenprint5.2.10 along with various dll files required - to see if that would help. The answer is No.

The lack of colour output seems to be the print output from OO4 as printing the same document from OO115 works as it should - coloured text is coloured not greyscale.

Is this an OO4 for OS/2 problem or the same for all platforms?

Where should I report this problem?

Regards

Pete

David McKenna

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 11, 2014, 11:33:16 pm »
  Pete,

I noticed the same issue with CUPS (after you mentioned it). I also cannot print any images with AOO4 and CUPS (other apps work). However, I can print everything with AOO4 and the OMNI printer driver. So it seems it may not be strictly AOO at fault, but some interaction with the PSPrint driver and AOO4. In any case, you can report bugs here: https://issues.apache.org/ooo/ . It's a good idea to put 'OS/2' somewhere in the title of the bug.

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 13, 2014, 12:51:02 am »
Hi Dave

I thought I had replied to your post previously but it has not appeared nearly 24 hours later

Sounds like you are saying that printing works fine from AOO4 when using the omni driver but not when using the postscript driver.

Seems to indicate the possibility of something not quite right in the AOO4 postscript printer output...

I guess I could do "Print to file" for the same document from OO115 and AOO4 and compare the output to see if I can spot anything suggestive of a problem with the AOO4 output.

This does not seem to be a cross platform problem so I have opened a bug
      https://issues.apache.org/ooo/show_bug.cgi?id=125850

Hopefully those involved in the OS/2 port will see the bug and investigate.

Regards

Pete

David McKenna

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 13, 2014, 01:33:01 pm »
Hi Pete,

Yes, I can print normally from every AOO4 app with the OMNI printer. With CUPS I can only get black and white text, no images or drawings/graphs (yet... still playing around with options).

I'm certainly no expert on these things, but I was under the impression that when printing, the data from the app to the printer is the same regardless of the driver used and it is the driver that does the translation to the printer language. That is what led me to be more suspicious of the PSPRINT driver. Maybe someone more knowledgeable than I could chime in on this.

Your idea of print-to-file the same document from both versions and doing a compare sounds good. I'd be very interested in the results...

Regards,

Dave McKenna

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 14, 2014, 06:02:40 pm »
Hi Dave

If I understand it right the postscript driver is the software interface to the hardware(printer) so the application is responsible for delivering postscript output compatible with the drivers requirements.

Looking at the raw postscript files generated by OO115 and AOO4 from the same document when printed to file I am fairly sure that the printing program affects how the postscript is generated as the files are different sizes and have different contents  - and they are using the same printer driver.

The output from AOO4 has duplicate sections which may or may not affect output.

Interestingly the output from OO115 shows

%%BeginFeature: *ColorModel Gray
      <</cupsColorSpace 0/cupsColorOrder 0/cupsBitsPerColor 8/cupsPreferredBitsPerColor 16>>setpagedevice
      %%EndFeature

where the output from AOO4 shows

%%BeginFeature: *ColorModel RGB
      <</cupsColorSpace 1/cupsColorOrder 0/cupsBitsPerColor 8/cupsPreferredBitsPerColor 16>>setpagedevice
      %%EndFeature

As OO115 prints in colour and AOO4 in greyscale I think I expected OO115 to show *ColorModel RGB and AOO4 output to show *ColorModel Gray.

I wonder why the AOO4 output has "/cupsColorSpace 1"... maybe related to the *ColorModel RGB bit...

As an experiment I changed the *ColorModel RGB to *ColorModel Gray and /cupsColorSpace 1 to /cupsColorSpace 0 in the AOO4 output, deleted the duplicate lines, saved the file and attempted to print it using cups:-

[J:\CUPS\BIN]lpr -P RX585 "I:\Users\peter\HOME\My Documents\OO4_EpsonRX585.PS"

No, No Colour Output!   :-(

Not knowing much about postscript I doubt if I can "debug" the AOO4 output to find and correct any error(s). I see AOO4.1.1 for OS/2 is just about to go GA so I will see if this problem has already been fixed before investigating further.

Regards

Pete

mickhead

« Reply #68 on: November 26, 2014, 12:35:16 am »
Greetings,
This RC third functioning well as far on installation. My system show no signals of shared memory problems as of yet. Good work, developers.

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 26, 2014, 03:16:19 pm »
Hi Mick Head

Do you have a postscript printer? - if "No"  do you use the cups printing system?

If you have a postscript printer or use cups try to print a document containing coloured text from Writer. Do you get colour printing or are colours converted to greyscale?

Regards

Pete

Alex Taylor

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 27, 2014, 07:18:23 am »
Pete,
What happens if you actually view the 'printed' output PS file? e.g. in GSView.  Does it show up in colour or mono? That should be a pretty reliable indicator of whether the problem is in CUPS or in one of the earlier stages.

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 27, 2014, 07:14:23 pm »
Hi Alex

Yes, tried that already: I used "Print to file" and then tried viewing the print file in GSView5.0

The text is displayed in black and greyscale - exactly like the printed output.

I'm convinced that the problem is the AOO4.1.1 print output as the same document prints in colour from OO115 for Windows running via ar5os2.exe,  OO3.1.1 for OS/2 and OO3.2.0 for OS/2.

Regards

Pete

Silvan Scherrer

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 28, 2014, 12:01:12 pm »
I'm convinced that the problem is the AOO4.1.1 print output as the same document prints in colour from OO115 for Windows running via ar5os2.exe,  OO3.1.1 for OS/2 and OO3.2.0 for OS/2.

Hi
could you also add the output of OO 3.2 to the ticket? As comparing 3.2 to 4.1 does a lot better than comparing to 1.1.5.

regards
Silvan
kind regards
Silvan
CTO bww bitwise works GmbH

Please help us with donations, so we can further work on OS/2 based projects. Our Shop is at https://www.bitwiseworks.com/shop/index.php

Silvan Scherrer

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 28, 2014, 06:06:33 pm »
Hi Alex

Yes, tried that already: I used "Print to file" and then tried viewing the print file in GSView5.0

The text is displayed in black and greyscale - exactly like the printed output.

Regards

Pete
Hi,

please try the following: in jop properties from the printer change "Color" to "Black and white". And report if this fixes printing.
When this is the case we know thats what we found out is the same as you saw.
Please also update the aoo ticket according to your findings.

thanks and regards
Silvan
kind regards
Silvan
CTO bww bitwise works GmbH

Please help us with donations, so we can further work on OS/2 based projects. Our Shop is at https://www.bitwiseworks.com/shop/index.php

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 29, 2014, 02:24:46 am »
Hi Silvan

Just read the post from Yuri on the bug report page https://issues.apache.org/ooo/show_bug.cgi?id=125850

I can confirm that setting the printer driver properties, effects page, to Grayscale instead of RGB Color produces colour output.

For whatever reason I am currently unable to login to the bug report - login refused due to invalid username/password; I changed the password and got the same result - so am currently unable to confirm Yuris comment.

Regards

Pete