Author Topic: eCS 2.2 C API documentation  (Read 19567 times)

agena

eCS 2.2 C API documentation
« on: August 25, 2014, 10:11:40 pm »
Hello,

I just searched the Net for an up-to-date C API documentation of eCS 2.2, to find information on any changes
at least to keyboard queries, mouse interaction, installed CPU(s), and memory consumption, with respect to
OS/2 Warp 4.5, but unfortunately failed.

I just discovered that http://www.edm2.com/os2api fortunately is still on-line, I somehow imagine that I visited
this nice site many times years ago when creating an OS/2 port of an OpenSource project.

The very first hit at Google alleges that a current eCS C API documentation is available only for sale ?

I hope, the C API of eCS is still fully downward-compatible to Warp 4.5.

Do you have any clue ?

Alex
http://agena.sourceforge.net

dbanet

Re: eCS 2.2 C API documentation
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 12:23:08 am »
I hope, the C API of eCS is still fully downward-compatible to Warp 4.5.

The whole eCS of any version is fully downward-compatible to Warp 4.52.

dbanet

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 12:34:31 am »
Some small percent of programming documentation for eCS is included into the base distribution.

The most significant part of the documentation (including PM, SOM and WPS programming documentation) is included into the OS/2 Developer Toolkit, which is available on the second CD of eComStation 2.1 distribution (2.2 is only at the stage of a beta).

Some documentation regarding driver development is available as a part of OS/2 DDK (Driver Development Toolkit). It is not included in eComStation distribution and I have no idea how to get it legally.

There are also some documentation included in IBM VisualAge integrated development environment distributions. C++, Smalltalk and Java editions existed, at least.

Usually, the docs are in a form of OS/2 "help books", that are created to be viewed with the default IBM OS/2 Help Viewer (view.exe), or an open source clone NewView (available on Hobbes), which is shipped with eCS (same file name: view.exe).

If you bought eComStation, you should have the docs included in the OS and the ones that are in the Toolkit. It doesn't seem that a general user is now able to buy something like a DDK or IBM VAC, so it's not available.

If you need any of the aforecited software or documentation, please contact me any way you prefer, and I may share you a copy (linking to illegal software distributions, even publicly available online, is against the rules of this forum).
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 01:15:29 am by Boris »

agena

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2014, 12:53:00 am »
Boris,

> The whole eCS of any version is fully downward-compatible to Warp 4.52.

this is very welcome news. It suffices altogether. Alex

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2014, 05:19:20 am »
Hi Boris.

By the way, I got permission from IBM to republish the IBM Driver Development toolkit documentation (IBM Copyright Permission #21953 ), sadly, I was not able to find how to get permission to republish or change the license for the source code. . But I didn't have the time to complete post all the documentation on the EDM/2 wiki yet.

Regards
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 03:01:48 pm by Martin Iturbide »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Eugene Gorbunoff

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2014, 12:48:53 am »
In addition to OS/2 API, new libraries were included to eComStation -- http://ecomstation.ru/toolkit
* You can create PM application using C++ Windows library: Glass PM C++
* access sqlite databases
* xio to download files from ftp/http
* etc

dbanet

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2014, 12:53:14 am »
I don't recommend making up additional unnecessary dependencies on proprietary software (http://ecomstation.ru/toolkit).

In our situation.

Eugene Gorbunoff

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2014, 01:05:49 am »
The development of OS/2 software is very labour-intensive. You can't create good application using pure OS/2 API. You can create applications in short terms if using additional libraries.

OS/2 users and developers which understand the importance of native software, will support this libraries.

LIABILITY DISCLAIMER: this is how I understand and what I know, I may be highly inaccurate, or even completely wrong! There are no claims, promises, or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the contents of my posts. Think on your own!
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 01:14:01 am by Eugene Gorbunoff »

dbanet

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2014, 01:45:26 am »
You can create applications in short terms if using additional libraries.

Agreed, free and open source ones.

OS/2 users and developers which understand the importance of native software, will support this libraries.

Groundless statement. Show me some?

LIABILITY DISCLAIMER: this is how I understand and what I know, I may be highly inaccurate, or even completely wrong! There are no claims, promises, or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the contents of my posts. Think on your own!

The thing you don't understand is that times changed. No one in OS/2 world wants to depend on proprietary software, we've learnt the lesson. Even if there were a reliable commercial structure capable of leading OS/2 support and development, still no; but there is none. Aren't you gonna name yours?

The worst thing is that you show up somewhere and start to peremptorily state wrong things on behalf of the community, as everyone is agreed to you. While the hugest part of all your words are in fact destructive, senseless and, I believe, unconscious disinformation.

Eugene, please say, what was the last time you've done something good to the community and the platform not trying to earn a shameful miserable cent on it? It's just disgusting.

Please stop, you're making it worse.

Eugene Gorbunoff

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2014, 02:16:32 am »
To Alexander:

Moreover, ACPI API was added to the operating system, SDL library, etc

To: Boris (dbanet)

It's difficult dispute here.

I offer libraries to the developers, you offer the slogan: "let's use open source".

You position is not very smart, the users have seen that you are a swindler, when you made efforts to collect money for new fraud (port network drivers, etc).
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 02:38:45 am by Eugene Gorbunoff »

dbanet

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2014, 02:41:46 am »
It's difficult dispute here.

I offer libraries to the developers, you offer the slogan: "let's use open source".

You position is not very smart, the users have seen that you are a swindler, when you made efforts to collect money for new fraud (port network drivers, etc).

Another piece of lie in attempt to slander people you will need eventually.
What a shame you cannot erase posts you don't like here like you do on ecomstation.ru

Insulting me and Pasha you just show who you are and prove no one should deal with you anymore.

Ian Manners

• Global Moderator
  • I am the computer, it is me.
    • View Profile
    • ComKal Networks Australia
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2014, 03:18:00 pm »
Hi Eugene,

You do much for the OS/2 eComstation community, so do many others but that is no excuse for you to make stupid comments.

Please keep this civil, anymore inflammatory language and you face being banned from this forum.

That goes for anyone else who makes unneeded allegations, or defamatory statements.

We are adults here, please act like it.

Be a part of the Solution, DO NOT BE THE PROBLEM.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 03:22:00 pm by Ian Manners »
Cheers
Ian B Manners

Eugene Gorbunoff

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2014, 04:56:12 pm »
Hello Ian Manners

I am victim here.
* Pirates group is distributing false about Panorama VESA driver, I posted url which demonstrates that the driver has the function.
* I am answering the the question of the developer about OS/2 API. And I was attacked by OpenSource fanatics.

os2world.com opened the doors to this group, so more conflicts happen. Please post the warnings to this new people.

dbanet

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2014, 05:46:41 pm »
I am victim here.

Indeed, poor you.

* Pirates group

ARRRRRRrrrr

is distributing false about Panorama VESA driver

Any proofs, or groundlessly accusing other people in lie and then avoiding questions (you didn't answer a single one!) is everything you can?

* I am answering the the question of the developer about OS/2 API.

No, your DLLs are not OS/2 API, so you are offtopic. If they were, I would talk about hundreds of open source DLLs in rpm/yum netlabs repo (which is installed by default in eCS 2.2).

And I was attacked by OpenSource fanatics.

os2world.com opened the doors to this group, so more conflicts happen. Please post the warnings to this new people.

Please continue insulting people and I look forward to your permaban.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 05:51:53 pm by Boris »

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2014, 06:40:49 pm »
I agreed with Ian.

Please, just comment about the API, or switch to other thread. It is not necessary to label people.
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.