Author Topic: Are you going to WarpStock USA?  (Read 34885 times)

Greggory Shaw

• View Profile
Re: Are you going to WarpStock USA?
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2014, 10:29:21 pm »
Also checking the hotels I can get the Quality Inn which is 0.4 miles away, and reduce from aprox $500 to $310.

How safe will be St. Louis to walk that at night?

I would seriously checkout that area before walking anywhere around there !

http://www.slmpd.org/crime_mapping.shtml

Greggory

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2014, 11:54:42 pm »
Gregg, that site is really creepy.
https://www.crimereports.com/map/index/?search=1200+Clark%20Avenue+St.%20Louis+MO&agencyzoomlevel=

I don't understand if that places are where the sex offenders live or where the crime happened.  Just looking forward of the potential if that site is connected to Google Glass face recognition, you will never get outside to walk :)
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Namyn Rednas

« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2014, 12:40:38 am »
Martin, Neil hasn't responded to either request made earlier.  Given the topic, and what's at stake, it's hard to believe that he would have just walked away from it, but let's not blindly make that assumption.  When you contact him, please ask him if he is following this thread.  He hasn't responded in regards to making contacts with an attendee willing to donate the sharing of their room, or for what amount the Warpstock committee is willing to fund.  We need that information.  Taking the cost of the hotel room out of the equation, and depending on the amount of the Warpstock committee funding will make this much more achievable.  Also, you haven't replied to my questions regarding airfare, or what, if anything, you are able to contribute.  Let's not start filling up this thread with discussions about hotel locations, or the streets of St. Louis at this point.  Focus.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 01:15:05 am by Namyn Rednas »

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2014, 03:38:05 am »
I'm following this thread when I do check on OS/2 world, which isn't that often, really.  I hope as many of you as possible also go to Warpstock.

I'm grateful to Martin for his agreement to do a presentation about OS/2 world. As you may have read, Warpstock will be using the funds to fly Lars Erdmann to St. Louis. I hope Martin can crowd-source his travel funds from OS/2 world users. That would be a first in our community.

I'm still open to accepting a volunteer to help us stream the conference.
Expert consulting for ArcaOS, OS/2 and eComStation
http://www.blondeguy.com

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2014, 03:17:34 pm »
Hi

I really want to try to make it to WarpStock. My paypal account is "martin@os2world.com"
My conditions will be that if I don't make the trip I will return the money to the people collaborating.

I still don't know how much of my money I can put to the trip, my idea was to cover my food/movilization expenses that I would have during it. But I will try to do my best here, and I will really like to be there to stream this conferences.

Thanks to everyone for open this possibility. I will be notifyng about the donations to see if I get the goal, I need to reach $1400 aprox (according to my most squeezed Air Ticket and Hotel budget).

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Sigurd Fastenrath

• OS/2 Versus Hardware - Maximum Warp!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2014, 07:29:07 pm »
Just send the money, so there a now 1300 $ left to reach your goal  :)

mwizard

« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2014, 08:54:08 pm »
Martin,

I've donated a bit to the cause as well.

As for the walk, don't worry about it.  I'll have a car and be driving each day.  I can give you a lift to and from the event.  This should also let you look a little wider for a hotel as well.

Looking forward to the event!

-Mark

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2014, 05:51:13 pm »
Thanks for helping with this.

For the moment I have "$339.13" on the paypal of the "$1400" goal.
Like I told before, if I don't make the trip I will be returning the donations.

My Paypal account is "martin@os2world.com" for the rest to contribute.

Like I told before my idea of being at Warpstock is to talk about the OS2World services and the OS/2-eCS community. And also do my best effort to do the live streaming of the presentations and document as much of the presentation video as possible.

Regards.
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Namyn Rednas

« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2014, 04:00:16 am »
Martin, I have been otherwise fully engaged for the past 24 hours, but when I return this evening I will contribute $300 to your Paypal account.

Please consider putting a short headline article at the top of the OS2World page, outlining the goal of this endeavor, and the topic with a bit of the substance to your Warpstock presentation.  If you feel awkward about doing that, and feel that you can't, let me know, and I'll write it for you.  Either way, it NEEDS to be front and center on the OS2World front page.

Namyn Rednas

« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2014, 04:42:32 pm »
Martin, let me know if you received the funds.  I encountered some strangeness with the transaction.  It's the first time I've actually used Paypal for anything outside of ebay.  As a side note, my first name will appear different on the transaction.  :)

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2014, 03:41:08 am »
Thanks Sander. I received the funds.

I want to publish something on the main page, but just this days had been very busy at work. Tomorrow I will post something about it.

Currently I have $686.88 of the $1400 goal. Thanks to all for your support.
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2014, 03:06:56 pm »
Martin,

I've donated a bit to the cause as well.

As for the walk, don't worry about it.  I'll have a car and be driving each day.  I can give you a lift to and from the event.  This should also let you look a little wider for a hotel as well.

Looking forward to the event!

-Mark

Thank you very much Mark. It seems to be more affordable the Quality Inn (which is 10 minutes walking from the event), so if I made the trip I will be taking your word :)

Thanks to everyone that is collaborating. I just posted the donate button on the main page. It felt a little somekind of weird asking money for it, but I really want to give it a try to be there and stream the video.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Kim

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2014, 12:38:45 pm »
None of the Warpstock organizers or attendees live in St. Louis. We've found someone to do the video/sharing.

Neil, quick one, but I understand that you've managed to solve video/sharing. I would be able to at least be able to hosts some of the presentations via webex together with global dialin.

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2014, 02:54:45 am »
No I haven't heard that I've solved video sharing. Not sure how your host would fit in, but hopefully some people will be able to figure it out. Actually, not sure what webex and global dialin are, either.

Martin Iturbide and Todd Simpson are working together to figure out a way to do video sharing. I'm hoping they have something ready by the time Warpstock rolls around.
Expert consulting for ArcaOS, OS/2 and eComStation
http://www.blondeguy.com

Kim

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2014, 10:10:30 am »
Well, not ref to any application, but rather webex session to share presentations over the net and using phone bridges with dial in numbers for NA, EMEA and APAC. When it comes to the webex client, it's non OS2, and requires Windows to work.