Author Topic: Are you going to WarpStock USA?  (Read 34882 times)

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
Are you going to WarpStock USA?
« on: August 29, 2014, 11:06:07 pm »
Hi

I wanted to go to WarpStock USA this year, but sadly I do not have the funds for the trip. I will only be there via Skype --- talking about how great open source software is :) 

But I want to know who is going and to see if they can share content with community.  If you can take pictures, write review, record vide, help there with local live streaming, anything that you can share, please let me know.

I will really like that the content and things said there get preserved for the community.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
Re: Are you going to WarpStock USA?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 06:03:31 am »
Warpstock is looking for someone to help with the video/sharing of the conference. Post here, or contact either Martin or me or anyone on the Warpstock board to find out more.

We've been using Skype, but we're ready to move to something more capable.
Expert consulting for ArcaOS, OS/2 and eComStation
http://www.blondeguy.com

Namyn Rednas

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2014, 03:44:58 am »
Martin, how short of funds (in U.S. dollars) are you, in terms of airfare travel arrangements?

Neil, please contact the Warpstock organizers and ask if there is an organizer, or attendee that can put Martin up in their home for the nights necessary for him to attend the entire event.

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2014, 05:38:14 am »
None of the Warpstock organizers or attendees live in St. Louis. We've found someone to do the video/sharing.
Expert consulting for ArcaOS, OS/2 and eComStation
http://www.blondeguy.com

Namyn Rednas

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2014, 06:06:32 am »
Then someone willing to put Martin up in their room?  It would be shameful, and difficult to imagine that the man who has selflessly donated more of his time, energy, and passion then anyone I can think of, all for the benefit of the OS/2 community, keeping this very website and others alive and filling them with content, convincing authors of OS/2 software to donate and open source their software, getting authors of books to allow him to publish them for the benefit of the OS/2 community, and much more, now can't be rewarded by the simple act of someone donating the sharing of a room that is already paid for, so that he can attend Warpstock.  It won't cost anyone a dime to do that small favor.  Video sharing aside, Martin has expressed a desire to attend Warpstock, and I want to make that happen.  Please contact anyone that you personally know of that is attending Warpstock, and is willing to share their room.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2014, 10:18:12 pm »
Thanks for the words .... Sander :)

I applied with Neil to see if it can be possible for WarpStock org to pay for it but the board voted not to fund the travel expenses. I completely understand this since WarpStock is not a multi-million dollar event and I realize that they have limited funding to organize this. (and I can be sure about that by just watching the assistance to the latest WarpStock on the pictures). I'm sure that the WarpStock board are doing this event because they love the platform, and not because they want to sell tickets to get profits. They told me that if made the trip on my own ... "Warpstock might provide a lesser amount."... which I didn't complete understand but I think that maybe they will provide me the entrance to the event or maybe a hotel discount.... or maybe some food.

The issue is that my travel expenses are not a little thing since I need to travel from Ecuador to USA.  My estimates are:
- Air Ticket from Ecuador to St Louis - Between $1250 and $1500   .... just checked today with AA - $1,396.93 USD - UIO-STL (Economy)
- Hotel: Aprox $439.96 + $73.52 Taxes - From Oct 23th to Oct Mon 27th

So, depending on the air ticket it can sum up to $2100.

I will need to start my travel on Thursday Oct 23 (all day traveling) and return Monday 27th (all day traveling), I will have to spend some time waiting on Miami, since that is the main hub for Latin America, plus USA customs . I have no problem asking permission at my job for those days. But my limitation are the Air Ticket and Hotel fair.

About streaming the event. I was trying to crack down how to do it on this forum thread.  But I still need more testing.

Of course if that I go to WarpStock I will do my best to try to document everything with my Camcorder (does anybody uses it anymore?) and try to stream everything. Taking pictures and try to comment on the OS2World site.  But I can not make 100% warranty that I will make the video stream since I depend on the Hotel Wifi and I always need to give a little space to Murphy.  But there is always the backup solution to use an Android phone to at least stream the audio and use a IRC channel with the community.

But for the moment I'm still looking for some volunteer that is going to WarpStock that want to give it a try to stream the content. I don't need a 100% warranty, just the good will to give it a try to stream the content to all of us.

Regards
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 10:30:17 pm by Martin Iturbide »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Namyn Rednas

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2014, 02:59:22 am »
I thought for certain that my secret code name would be indecipherable to both man and machine.  I see now that in retrospect it was as thinly veiled as a hooker in an Amsterdam brothel window.

Martin, as you saw in my last post, I have asked Neil to contact anyone that he personally knows of that will be attending Warpstock, and is willing to donate the sharing of their room.  That would take a chunk of dough out of the equation.  I would also ask here and now that anyone who will be attending Warpstock and is willing to do this small favor, PLEASE STEP UP NOW.  Hopefully Neil, or one of the attendees themseves will respond with a result quickly.  Airfares tend to rise as the date of departure nears.

Neil, we need to know exactly what "Warpstock might provide a lesser amount" translates to in monetary terms, and obviously, we need to know that quickly.

Martin, please use one of the travel web sites to nail down the best airfare that you can find.  In my experience AA is typically not among the lower end of the price scale, but travel from Ecuador to the U.S.A. may have limitations in terms of airlines that service that route.  Lastly, how much of your own money are you able to provide?

What we need here are real numbers for everything involved, and we need them fast.

At this time I would ask that EVERYONE that reads these forums (and you know you all do), that makes use of OS/2 World, or who is a part of the OS/2 community in general, STEP UP.  Don't pretend that you didn't read this, don't pretend that it pertains to someone other than yourself, and don't pretend that it doesn't matter.  IT MATTERS! If you can help make this happen, then don't just think about it..... DO IT!  Let us know what you are willing to donate, and let's put this together.  Time is of the essence. 
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 03:22:28 am by Namyn Rednas »

guzzi

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2014, 03:32:12 am »
I'm currently not in a position to spend much. So I'll start the donations with 10 euro)

Ashdown

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2014, 06:32:33 am »
I would be willing to contribute a few dollars to help Martin get to Warpstock.  Given his efforts to help others, I think it only reasonable and fair that all of us who benefit from his work chip in a little each to show our appreciation and help him now that it is a time in which he could do with our help.
For those of use that have used or do use OS2World and have in some way benefitted from the hard work of Martin, I think it only right that we help him in return.
If a means of contributing funds can be quickly setup to help Martin with his costs in getting to Warpstock then please make public that mechanism so that we can all then donate a few dollars.  A lot of people donating just a few dollars will go a long way.  Come on folks, let's help those that help us.

Namyn Rednas

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2014, 08:22:04 am »
Martin, David's suggestion is essential, so please put that together quickly, but PLEASE, David and everyone willing to contribute, in whatever amount they are capable of, be explicit about the amount you intend to donate.  Saying, "I will contribute something" is not helpful.  We need real numbers, and we need them quickly.  Airfare is going to be the major cost, and the longer that purchase is delayed, the more expensive it will be.  We are talking about $1,000++, so please keep in mind who you are doing this for when you pledge your contribution.  Also keep in mind that Martin's Warpstock presentation is crucial to the survival of OS/2, and that can't be overstated.

Also, in advance, let's stay on topic in this thread.  If you have something to say other then the amount of your donation, possibly including a brief positive and encouraging statement, start a new thread.  What is needed in this thread is NUMBERS, pure and simple.

One last thing.  Everyone of you knows another OS/2 user that also benefits, and if they understand the full scope of what Martin has done and continues to do, then it's appropriate to say that they benefit greatly every time their OS/2 desktop boots up.  Email them and ask them to read this thread from the beginning.  That is something that every one of you can take a couple minutes to do as a gesture of good will.  It matters, so please, don't think about it, do it.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 08:59:21 am by Namyn Rednas »

Wim Brul

• View Profile
    • Wim's home page
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2014, 12:05:44 pm »
Martin,

To do an international payment, my bank needs the following to be filled in:

"IBAN" or "Account Number" of the recipient.

"Bank Code" or "FedWire" or "FW" or "ABA" or "Routing Number" for the recipients bank.

"BIC" or "Name/Address/City/Country" of recipients bank.

I would use "Our Costs" meaning no costs involved for the recipient.
Is it all-right to transfer in euro's or should I use us dollar or what else?

Regards, Wim.

Sigurd Fastenrath

• OS/2 Versus Hardware - Maximum Warp!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2014, 01:11:07 pm »
I will spend 100 US Dollar once I know where to pay the money to.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2014, 04:42:04 pm »
Thanks for the support.

The main expenses I need to cover are Air Ticket and Hotel. I don't have a problem sharing the room with other WarpStock assistant if they are willing to do that. I need to check on Neil if they are going to let me access the event as speaker without fee.

I can optimize the air ticket by going to Quito-Miami with other company and after that taking AA for Miami-St Louis. I'm checking other options from "Miami-St Louis", I'm checking orbitz right now,  but the only thing I can find, without stops, from Miami-St Louis is AA. If you know any other site for US internal flights please let me know.  I can reduce the air ticket to $1000.

Let me see a way that donations can be made to PayPal or a US account. I need to check if I can pay with Paypal the air tickets since I never done that.

Regards.
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2014, 04:59:26 pm »
Also checking the hotels I can get the Quality Inn which is 0.4 miles away, and reduce from aprox $500 to $310.

I guess that walking this everyday should not be an issue.  How safe will be St. Louis to walk that at night?
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Chenbiao

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2014, 10:09:31 pm »
I'll donate 50$. Hopefully Martin can use Paypal.