Author Topic: ECs on a Toshiba M35x laptop  (Read 8698 times)

Jim

• View Profile
ECs on a Toshiba M35x laptop
« on: August 30, 2014, 12:02:24 am »
I used OS/2 first with Warp for Windows, so I have some experience.  I haven't used it in a few years and now find myself with an unused copy of eCs 1 and an unused Toshiba Satellite M35X-S161 laptop that has Windows XP on it.
Tried a straight install on it and immediately ran into "Can't operate the drive", as I remember this means I don't have the right driver for the drive.
So I don't get jumped on, I did do a search of OS/2 World and got no hits. 
Can someone help get me started?

dbanet

Re: ECs on a Toshiba M35x laptop
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2014, 12:31:30 am »
Before debugging eCS 1.x... maybe installing eCS 2.2 is of any possibility?

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2014, 01:21:19 am »
Boris, he has version 1  so telling him to install version 2.2 is not very helpful especially since version 2.2 does not appear to be readily available anyway.

Jim, I think the problem is with the selection of startup parameters.  Exactly what they have to be I will try and find out in the office tomorrow after I have dug out the manual for your Toshiba.

Jim

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2014, 11:42:17 am »
Thanks for looking it up for me.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2014, 05:35:38 pm »
From what I can see there should be no problem installing eCS v1 on your laptop - we have an M30 with WSeB (the base for eCS) on it.

The thing is that you may have to change the IBM disk drivers for the Dani ones in install disk 1 and add copyfromfloppy=1 to the config.sys on that drive.  I am assuming that the CD you have requires that you make the three install disks and is not the later bootable one.  If it is the later one then you need to select 'boot with own values' and select the Dani drivers as well as legacy hardware and snap video.

If you are using the install floppies there used to be an updated set of images on the IBM site (we also have those images archived here).  Let me know if you want a copy of them and I can e-mail them to you.

Jim

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2014, 07:03:13 am »
Thanks for the info I will try this and see how it goes.

Jim

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2014, 07:40:54 am »
Sorry, it has been a while.  Life took over for a bit.
My installer is a bootable CD, it is a 3 disk set so I have no floppy disks.
This is the screen of the install, after I continue is when I get the can't operate the disk error:

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2014, 03:20:57 am »
Hi

Am I right in thinking that the M35x uses ACPI in Windows? - If "Yes" then it probably needs ACPI support in order to install eCS1.0 - but eCS1.0 does not have ACPI support.

Another thought is: Does Windows use the AHCI disk driver? - If "Yes" then you have a similar problem to above as eCS1.0 does not have AHCI support.

A final thought for the moment: Download the demo of DFSee as a bootable CD and tell us what DFSee says about the drive - http://www.dfsee.com/dfsee/cdrom.php#cdiso

Regards

Pete

Jim

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2014, 12:58:29 am »
Thanks, Pete.
I have DFSEE on a bootable CD.  Having never used it before I have no idea how to proceed.
Can you give me a Step by step on how to get the information you pointed out.

Thanks, Jim