Author Topic: Hobbes and Libraries.  (Read 8831 times)

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
Hobbes and Libraries.
« on: August 31, 2014, 01:42:25 am »
Hi

I was thinking that maybe it is missing a "lib" directory on hobbes where it stores libraries for the platform (Binaries and source code).  Even that libraries are just apps too, I understand it like DLLs that are used by other programs, like Cairo, SDL, Qt, etc, etc. I had noticed that a lot of binary libraries file are located on "/pub/os2/dev" and I'm not sure that is complete right. (even that a library can be seen as help for development).

What do you think about asking to create "/pub/os2/lib" at hobbes? Do you think it is necessary some sub-directories to classify the libraries? (Audio, video, graphics, Qt, rexx, java, ?).

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
Re: Hobbes and Libraries.
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014, 02:15:04 am »
Most of the libraries are for development so /pub/os2/dev does seem correct. There are also various libraries that are included with programs, eg flac comes with libflac and libflac++ for any developer who wants to write a multimedia app that decodes/encodes flac.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2014, 05:38:10 am »
Most of the libraries are for development so /pub/os2/dev does seem correct.

I have my doubts since I see libraries that are more used to run software. SDL, Cairo, Qt libraries are also needed to run the programs, that's why I don't see it exclusively for developers.
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2014, 09:14:28 am »
SDL, Cairo, and QT libraries are for writing/porting programs, at least that is my common use. The DLLs are for running programs.
Perhaps should do like most Linux distributions, have a SDL package and a SDL-dev package etc with the develop package in /pub/os2/dev. The other option is to symlink the packages so the same package is in /pub/os2/dev and /pub/lib

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2014, 05:20:14 pm »
Maybe I have a misconception. I define a  "Library" like both, the DLLs (Binaries) required to run applications and the tools (docs, source code samples) that helps developers to create applications easily with a set of pre-created and shared functions.

But I have found libraries that are open source that contains the Binaries and source code. And other libraries that are only the DLL and a set of samples/docs.

The idea was to know if there was interest to separate the libraries from the other development tools at hobbes directories. But it seems that for the moment I will not go forward with this.
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Andy Willis

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2014, 05:47:26 pm »
Maybe I have a misconception. I define a  "Library" like both, the DLLs (Binaries) required to run applications and the tools (docs, source code samples) that helps developers to create applications easily with a set of pre-created and shared functions.
The DLLs are typically (but as you've probably seen not consistently) called runtimes rather than libraries.  Libraries are more typically the files used to build software and a runtime DLL may be required for applications built with them (though they can be built in statically and require a DLL).
I should also mention that not all DLLs are runtimes by this definition.