Author Topic: Qpdf  (Read 60591 times)

Silvan Scherrer

• View Profile
Re: Qpdf
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2013, 11:49:53 am »
which cups do you have? you need very latest cups.dll from Paul, as older ones did not work with Qt Apps.

regards
Silvan
kind regards
Silvan
CTO bww bitwise works GmbH

Please help us with donations, so we can further work on OS/2 based projects. Our Shop is at https://www.bitwiseworks.com/shop/index.php

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2013, 10:45:53 pm »
which cups do you have? you need very latest cups.dll from Paul, as older ones did not work with Qt Apps.

I thought I had the latest, but apparently the latest is only available in the ZIP file download.

11-03-12 10:41p       913,935    124 a---  cups.dll

(MM-DD-YY). So, now I can print ONCE, after a boot. I can use other apps to print through CUPS, but QPDFView only prints once, then it complains that is could not print. On the down side, if I print using CUPS (ANY program), I end up with one (of 4) of my CPUs stuck at 99.9%, for about 10 minutes, after the print is finished. Then, that stops. While it is stuck, I have a LOT of trouble doing other things. After it stops, everything seems to be normal again. I can find no indication of what is hogging CPU time. TOP doesn't show it, only the Pulse widget shows it.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2013, 12:10:34 am »
I found another problem with QPDFView. It has put two directories in the root of my boot drive: .config and .local. Normally, those things follow the %HOME% environment variable, which certainly does not point to the root of my boot drive.

melf

« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2013, 12:37:15 am »
For me qpdf makes directories in D:\home\default\.config and .local.  My bootdrive is C: and Qpdf is in D:\APPS\Qpdf.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2013, 01:45:19 am »
It looks like the FIRST time I open QPDFView, it puts entries into %HOME%, as I expect ("adds" entries would be more accurate). The second time I open it, it puts the same entries into the root of my boot drive. My boot drive is M:, and QPDFView is in W:\APPS\QPDFVIEW. The PDF file is in W:\DOWNLOAD. The working directory, in the program icon, is set to W:\APPS\QPDFVIEW. CUPS is on M:.

I will say that when it works, QPDFView is pretty good, although I do have a discrepancy about what the real Acrobat Reader , in windows, does, and what QPDFView does, when editing fields in a PDF file. I need to figure that out, and report it somewhere.

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2013, 10:22:41 pm »
Hi All

Having updated cups to the very latest I can now print from qpdf - once. Any attempt to print another document fails - nothing happens.

In order to try and see what the problem is I attempted to start my browser. No go, Seamonkey will not start with any established Profiles or with the Profile Manager.

I closed qpdf and retried Seamonkey - which started without problems.

So, qpdf can print once and does not allow Seamonkey to start while qpdf is running. No problem starting qpdf with Seamonkey already running though.

I had a look at my cups log to see what had gone wrong with my 3 printing attempts (after the successul print). The answers are:-

/cups/lib/cups/filter/pstoraster failed"
/cups/lib/cups/filter/pstoraster failed"
"/cups/lib/cups/filter/pdftops.exe failed"

Obviously qpdf needs a bit more work but looks promising.

Regards

Pete

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2013, 10:08:12 pm »

In order to try and see what the problem is I attempted to start my browser. No go, Seamonkey will not start with any established Profiles or with the Profile Manager.

I closed qpdf and retried Seamonkey - which started without problems.

So, qpdf can print once and does not allow Seamonkey to start while qpdf is running. No problem starting qpdf with Seamonkey already running though.

The problem is that the fntcfg2.dll shipped with qpdf is incompatible with SeaMonkey and probably Firefox and Thunderbird 10.12. Fix is to replace it with the one meant for Mozilla,
or remove it and have the Mozilla versions in your libpath.
The freetyp2.dll for Mozilla is probably newer as well.

Silvan Scherrer

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2013, 10:28:26 am »
this will be fixed with the upcoming qpdf 0.4.0 beta1. and yes the freetype dll coming with qpdfview is a bit older than the one from dave.
kind regards
Silvan

Please help us with donations, so we can further work on OS/2 based projects. Our Shop is at https://www.bitwiseworks.com/shop/index.php

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2013, 09:53:08 am »
this will be fixed with the upcoming qpdf 0.4.0 beta1. and yes the freetype dll coming with qpdfview is a bit older than the one from dave.

welcome to DLL hell :( - a reason I tend to use static linking - larger executables but no clashes of dll versions

Andy Willis

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2013, 05:11:01 am »

welcome to DLL hell :( - a reason I tend to use static linking - larger executables but no clashes of dll versions
This was a concern I had with not to continue static linking it into Mozilla.  However, as long as the newer dll works with the older apps it is not unexpected that an app would require the newer dll.  The windows DLL hell was that newer versions of their DLLs such as the mfc ones would break compatibility and not work with older apps so that you had to have multiple versions lying around.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2013, 05:27:04 pm »
Reviving this old topic but I would like to know if anyone has got the latest drop to open a PDF file?

All I get when I try to open a PDF is a message box marked Critical with the statement Could not load PDF plug-in!

I have followed the instructions as closely as possible (no ecs dir on WSeB so dlls go into os2\dll), what am I missing?

melf

« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2013, 08:35:01 pm »
I had the same message Ivan, but now it works. I think I just deleted Qpdf:s home directory and let it make a new one, but in fact I don't remember entirely sure.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2013, 10:52:50 am »
Thanks melf but that didn't do anything - still the same message.  I'm wondering if it has the ecs file structure hard wired in as the readme says to put the dlls into ecs\dll.

Silvan Scherrer

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2013, 11:09:29 am »
Which qpdf Version? And there is no hard wired ECS/DLL structure in it.
Im sure you Miss some DLL. Try To redirect output and See which.
kind regards
Silvan

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2013, 06:00:28 pm »
Thanks for your reply Silvan.

The version that gives the error message is v0.4.1 and I think I have all the DLLs required but I'm not sure as there is no definitive list.  The fact that all the other Qt4 apps that I am using work without any problems shows that Qt4 and the gcc and klibc dlls are installed correctly.  Cups sometimes prints to the printer on the network print server but I think those problems are caused by the print server going into standby mode and not being woken up correctly.

I have z.dll, jpeg.dll, djv.dll, fntcfg2.dll and freetyp2.dll in \os2\dll so the question is what am I missing.

Note that version 0.3.7b1 works as long as the PDF files are on the same volume as qpdf.