Author Topic: Free (almost) OS/2 stuff!  (Read 7360 times)

Kevin G. McCoy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • View Profile
Free (almost) OS/2 stuff!
« on: September 05, 2014, 11:34:06 pm »
My OS/2 tech library is looking for a good home.  This is the library I used back in the day to develop E-Racer/2, PrjBld and KeyRing/2.  Any or all of it is available for free - you pay the shipping/packing.  Martin Iturbide has dibs on some of these, if he can afford the shipping.  You can duke it out with him, if there are conflicts :-)

Here are some photos of the book spines and some closeups of the software manuals:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/cor29k3o6vq8jw1/AACQej4ijnGPS7cYMLagqNPoa?dl=0

Most of the books are in pristine condition, but are only promised "as-is".   I can probably dig up the CDROMs and floppies (if any) that came with the books, but no guarantees.  A lot of years have passed and I may not have retained them.

I may or may not still have the install disks for the software manuals shown.  If I do, you are welcome to them for the same price (free+shipping) - at the very least, you'd get a manual for your existing software.

The books are physically located in Olympia, Washington, USA. (not too far from Seattle).

Contact me with a list of the ones you want, and I will weigh them for potential shipment.  Many of the books are 2"-3" (5-6 cm) thick and are pretty heavy.  You are responsible for import duty, if any.  Paypal only.  First come, first serve.

Mark

• Thank You
    • View Profile
Re: Free (almost) OS/2 stuff!
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2014, 01:54:31 am »
Kevin,

If you ever change your mind and allow us to mail  you checks, please let me know.  I don't have a paypal account.

I'd love to have
  • Writing OS/2 Rexx Programs
  • Effective MultiThreading in OS/2
  • OS/2 Warp Programming for Dummies

I have most of the other books.  And I love your KeyRing/2 app.    I would not be surprised if I have an E-Racer/2 license as well.

regards,
Mark Vollmer

Boris

• Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 16
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2014, 04:37:22 am »
Kevin, I've sent you a private message.

Boris.
LIABILITY DISCLAIMER: this is how I understand and what I know, I may be highly inaccurate, or even completely wrong! There are no claims, promises, or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the contents of my posts. Think on your own!

Alex Taylor

• Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2014, 05:56:31 am »
Some very nice stuff there!

I'd definitely be interested in:
  • OS/2 Warp Presentation Manager for Power Programmers
  • OS/2 2.1 Application Programmer's Guide

and possibly also
  • Writing VX-REXX Programs

Shipping would be to Ontario, Canada.

On a related note, while I already own "OS/2 Warp Programming for Dummies", I haven't been able to find my copy for years. I'm pretty sure it's buried at the bottom of the storage locker where I keep a lot of my belongings in Canada. Anyway, I've been very keen to take a look at the information it has on WPS programming - as I recall, it has a chapter or two introducing SOM+WPS programming.

If you or anyone else who has a copy of this book wouldn't mind scanning just the SOM/WPS chapters and sending them to me, I'd be very grateful. (Again, I do own copy of this book so it should be perfectly legal.)

Dave Yeo

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 149
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2014, 06:27:29 am »
Hi Alex,
Would that be Chapter 22 Stupid WPS tricks, Chapter 23 SOM: Kind of Wonderful, Chapter 24 The Workplace Shell: Object of Envy?
There's also Chapter 25 Notebooks and States and Chapter 26 Containing Your Excitement with chapters 23-26 under Workplace Shell Basics.
if I can get my son to hook up the scanner, i can scan them (probably in a few days) if no-one else steps forth.
I also need to revisit the book. Last time I tried any of the examples (using Open Watcom) nothing would actually compile :( Since then I've learned more about programming.

Alex Taylor

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2014, 06:41:23 am »
Hi Dave,

Yeah, I think that would be chapters 23 - 26.  If you could do that it'd be awesome.

Thanks!

Kevin G. McCoy

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2014, 08:29:19 pm »
If you ever change your mind and allow us to mail  you checks, please let me know.  I don't have a paypal account.

I don't think you need a PayPal account.  I would just send you an invoice via email, with a URL link back to PayPal.  PayPal takes all sorts of payment methods, including credit cards and checks. 

I am taking Martin's books to the post office today to get final word on shipping cost.

Kevin G. McCoy

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2014, 08:32:22 pm »
Kevin, I've sent you a private message.

Hey Boris - where did you go?  I sent you a PM with the total shipping weight of the books.  I need to know what country you are in to calculate shipping costs.

Kevin G. McCoy

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2014, 08:34:23 pm »
Boris,

Never mind.  I see your reply in my message queue.  Weird forum software!

Boris

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 16
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2014, 08:45:05 pm »
Boris,

Never mind.  I see your reply in my message queue.  Weird forum software!

He-he, it's just I've just sent you it, like fifteen minutes ago. ;P

And I am sorry for the delay: real life...
LIABILITY DISCLAIMER: this is how I understand and what I know, I may be highly inaccurate, or even completely wrong! There are no claims, promises, or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the contents of my posts. Think on your own!

Kevin G. McCoy

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2014, 11:23:53 pm »
I found out that shipping to international addresses is somewhat expensive.  I can send about 3-4 books in a medium box to Europe/Asia for $63.00 USD.  A larger box (if the books won't fit in the smaller one) is $75.00 to $85.00 USD.

USA addresses can go "book rate" which is really cheap in comparison.

Canada is about $40.00 for the medium flat rate box.  I am not sure about the larger box.

The final cost is up to the US Post Office, so these are only guidelines.

Dave Yeo

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 149
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2014, 07:35:33 am »
Hi Dave,

Yeah, I think that would be chapters 23 - 26.  If you could do that it'd be awesome.

Thanks!

Unluckily my sons scanner does not want to scan :( Possibly dust from sitting for a couple of years in a dusty environment. I'll have to try disassembling it

Alex Taylor

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2014, 01:17:28 pm »
@Dave: Thanks, I understand. It's not urgent. :)

@Kevin: I will PM you tonight or tomorrow with my details.

Mark

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2014, 12:27:45 am »

I don't think you need a PayPal account.  I would just send you an invoice via email, with a URL link back to PayPal.  PayPal takes all sorts of payment methods, including credit cards and checks. 

I am taking Martin's books to the post office today to get final word on shipping cost.

Then I'll take you up on this if it works this way.  No problem.  (mwizard@gmail.com)

Thanks.

Kevin G. McCoy

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2014, 10:23:00 pm »
I sent out PayPal invoices to everyone that requested books - except for Alex.  I don't have your email address.

I will ship as soon as your payment comes in, but hurry up - I am going on vacation on the 22nd and won't be back for a couple weeks.

Thanks guys!

Kevin