Author Topic: Free (almost) OS/2 stuff!  (Read 19658 times)

skydvrz

Free (almost) OS/2 stuff!
« on: September 05, 2014, 11:34:06 pm »
My OS/2 tech library is looking for a good home.  This is the library I used back in the day to develop E-Racer/2, PrjBld and KeyRing/2.  Any or all of it is available for free - you pay the shipping/packing.  Martin Iturbide has dibs on some of these, if he can afford the shipping.  You can duke it out with him, if there are conflicts :-)

Here are some photos of the book spines and some closeups of the software manuals:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/cor29k3o6vq8jw1/AACQej4ijnGPS7cYMLagqNPoa?dl=0

Most of the books are in pristine condition, but are only promised "as-is".   I can probably dig up the CDROMs and floppies (if any) that came with the books, but no guarantees.  A lot of years have passed and I may not have retained them.

I may or may not still have the install disks for the software manuals shown.  If I do, you are welcome to them for the same price (free+shipping) - at the very least, you'd get a manual for your existing software.

The books are physically located in Olympia, Washington, USA. (not too far from Seattle).

Contact me with a list of the ones you want, and I will weigh them for potential shipment.  Many of the books are 2"-3" (5-6 cm) thick and are pretty heavy.  You are responsible for import duty, if any.  Paypal only.  First come, first serve.

mwizard

Re: Free (almost) OS/2 stuff!
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2014, 01:54:31 am »
Kevin,

If you ever change your mind and allow us to mail  you checks, please let me know.  I don't have a paypal account.

I'd love to have
  • Writing OS/2 Rexx Programs
  • Effective MultiThreading in OS/2
  • OS/2 Warp Programming for Dummies

I have most of the other books.  And I love your KeyRing/2 app.    I would not be surprised if I have an E-Racer/2 license as well.

regards,
Mark Vollmer

dbanet

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2014, 04:37:22 am »
Kevin, I've sent you a private message.

Boris.

Alex Taylor

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2014, 05:56:31 am »
Some very nice stuff there!

I'd definitely be interested in:
  • OS/2 Warp Presentation Manager for Power Programmers
  • OS/2 2.1 Application Programmer's Guide

and possibly also
  • Writing VX-REXX Programs

Shipping would be to Ontario, Canada.

On a related note, while I already own "OS/2 Warp Programming for Dummies", I haven't been able to find my copy for years. I'm pretty sure it's buried at the bottom of the storage locker where I keep a lot of my belongings in Canada. Anyway, I've been very keen to take a look at the information it has on WPS programming - as I recall, it has a chapter or two introducing SOM+WPS programming.

If you or anyone else who has a copy of this book wouldn't mind scanning just the SOM/WPS chapters and sending them to me, I'd be very grateful. (Again, I do own copy of this book so it should be perfectly legal.)

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2014, 06:27:29 am »
Hi Alex,
Would that be Chapter 22 Stupid WPS tricks, Chapter 23 SOM: Kind of Wonderful, Chapter 24 The Workplace Shell: Object of Envy?
There's also Chapter 25 Notebooks and States and Chapter 26 Containing Your Excitement with chapters 23-26 under Workplace Shell Basics.
if I can get my son to hook up the scanner, i can scan them (probably in a few days) if no-one else steps forth.
I also need to revisit the book. Last time I tried any of the examples (using Open Watcom) nothing would actually compile :( Since then I've learned more about programming.

Alex Taylor

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2014, 06:41:23 am »
Hi Dave,

Yeah, I think that would be chapters 23 - 26.  If you could do that it'd be awesome.

Thanks!

skydvrz

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2014, 08:29:19 pm »
If you ever change your mind and allow us to mail  you checks, please let me know.  I don't have a paypal account.

I don't think you need a PayPal account.  I would just send you an invoice via email, with a URL link back to PayPal.  PayPal takes all sorts of payment methods, including credit cards and checks. 

I am taking Martin's books to the post office today to get final word on shipping cost.

skydvrz

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2014, 08:32:22 pm »
Kevin, I've sent you a private message.

Hey Boris - where did you go?  I sent you a PM with the total shipping weight of the books.  I need to know what country you are in to calculate shipping costs.

skydvrz

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2014, 08:34:23 pm »
Boris,

Never mind.  I see your reply in my message queue.  Weird forum software!

dbanet

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2014, 08:45:05 pm »
Boris,

Never mind.  I see your reply in my message queue.  Weird forum software!

He-he, it's just I've just sent you it, like fifteen minutes ago. ;P

And I am sorry for the delay: real life...

skydvrz

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2014, 11:23:53 pm »
I found out that shipping to international addresses is somewhat expensive.  I can send about 3-4 books in a medium box to Europe/Asia for $63.00 USD.  A larger box (if the books won't fit in the smaller one) is $75.00 to $85.00 USD.

USA addresses can go "book rate" which is really cheap in comparison.

Canada is about $40.00 for the medium flat rate box.  I am not sure about the larger box.

The final cost is up to the US Post Office, so these are only guidelines.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2014, 07:35:33 am »
Hi Dave,

Yeah, I think that would be chapters 23 - 26.  If you could do that it'd be awesome.

Thanks!

Unluckily my sons scanner does not want to scan :( Possibly dust from sitting for a couple of years in a dusty environment. I'll have to try disassembling it

Alex Taylor

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2014, 01:17:28 pm »
@Dave: Thanks, I understand. It's not urgent. :)

@Kevin: I will PM you tonight or tomorrow with my details.

mwizard

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2014, 12:27:45 am »

I don't think you need a PayPal account.  I would just send you an invoice via email, with a URL link back to PayPal.  PayPal takes all sorts of payment methods, including credit cards and checks. 

I am taking Martin's books to the post office today to get final word on shipping cost.

Then I'll take you up on this if it works this way.  No problem.  (mwizard@gmail.com)

Thanks.

skydvrz

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2014, 10:23:00 pm »
I sent out PayPal invoices to everyone that requested books - except for Alex.  I don't have your email address.

I will ship as soon as your payment comes in, but hurry up - I am going on vacation on the 22nd and won't be back for a couple weeks.

Thanks guys!

Kevin