Author Topic: exFAT  (Read 15193 times)

guzzi

• View Profile
exFAT
« on: September 12, 2014, 12:58:19 am »
The latest release of DFSee supports exFAT. exFAT is slowly gaining more importance for large (>32Gb ) flash drives. I just noticed that Samsung has a GPL licenced Linux kernel space driver for exFAT http://opensource.samsung.com/reception/receptionSub.do?method=search&searchValue=exfat Would it be possible to use that as a basis for an OS/2 IFS driver?

BigGoofyGuy

• View Profile
Re: exFAT
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2014, 06:33:57 pm »
I found a site that has a definition of exFAT. I learned something new.  8)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ExFAT
'exFAT (Extended File Allocation Table) is a Microsoft file system optimized for flash drives.[3] It is proprietary and patented.[2]'. (from the site).
BigGoofyGuy

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2014, 07:52:39 am »
Hi guzzi

For what I hear from some developers, creating an File System driver is not a nice task especially because of the extensive testing that this kind of drivers requires.

What it will be great as a start is to have the eCS-OS2 implementation of JFS-boot complete open sourced. I asked that once to Mensys and they told me that the source code of it was provided in part by IBM, so they can not release it, which it seems odd since IBM released JFS as open source to be included on Linux, but who knows.

What I would think it can be good is to try to move away from HPFS, since MS owns the patent of it, and that is why (in part) several companies dropped HPFS support from their Partition Manager tools (I remember that Partition Magic killed HPFS support since version 7). I don't know which file system is the best, but I will not like to go back to one with patents that can produce more risk.

I know this is not a priority right now, but it is a good exercise to think about file systems from time to time, thanks for bringing it.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2014, 08:30:30 am »
IBM decided to fork JFS keeping the original OS/2 code closed, perhaps to keep big customer happy. I remember the last kernel developer saying how he had to be careful talking to the GPL JFS guy. It's a shame and what would be nice is an IFS built from the GPL JFS. Seems weird if Memsys mixed GPL and propriety code to write the bootable JFS. be nice to know more.
HPFS was patented at the end of the '80's (circa OS/2 V1.2) so the patents should have expired as they're only good for 20 odd years. I think partition magic dropped HPFS in favour of NTFS because of demand, Windows had won the OS wars by then. Various Linux dists have probably dropped HPFS support for the same reason.
As for porting exFAT, it takes a certain type of developer to write a good IFS and we have a shortage. Adapting the FAT32 driver might be the simplest but after all this time it's still crap.
Be nice getting the EXT2 IFS working with the LVM as that has a whole framework for porting Linux (kernel 1.3 or 2.0, I forget) file systems.

guzzi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2014, 01:27:17 am »
Yes, there is a shortage of developers, especially the 'special kind' ones. There is one who would do a great job, also in getting the FAT32 driver to perform better. It's sooooo slow. Maybe we should start funding a human cloning project instead of OS/2 software for better progress))

Andy Willis

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2014, 10:24:56 pm »
What it will be great as a start is to have the eCS-OS2 implementation of JFS-boot complete open sourced. I asked that once to Mensys and they told me that the source code of it was provided in part by IBM, so they can not release it, which it seems odd since IBM released JFS as open source to be included on Linux, but who knows.
IBM did the same thing with Object REXX when they released it... they did not release the OS/2 code even though REXXLA tried to get them to do so at the time.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2014, 12:32:42 am »
The rumour I heard was that the OS/2 version of Object Rexx had been forked long before and that was the reason it was not included with the open source version.

Andy Willis

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2014, 07:52:16 pm »
The rumour I heard was that the OS/2 version of Object Rexx had been forked long before and that was the reason it was not included with the open source version.
I think they had been forked long before and the OS/2 portion was owned by a different IBM group who would not release it.  Back when all that was happening we had some REXXLA members attending Warpstock that were at least tangentially involved with the process.