Author Topic: Network clarification question  (Read 6731 times)

muffetta

Network clarification question
« on: September 12, 2014, 06:23:14 pm »
Hi,
Could not be the right place this, sorry, but i need a clarification about network connections. Where i live we are three users to share the same Internet connection, a main router, and a wireless one, connected to main, used by two users, including myself. Is there a way to get the my connection completely open like for the main router? The main's router owner says the open connection is available only for his router and for a single connection, so if need to see some sites with restrictions/limitations, behind a firewall, as we, wireless users, are, i always have to ask a favor to the owner of the main router, could not be a problem, sure but he could be bored on long time.
Is this true or is it possible to configure a "double" opened connection?
Thanks for any suggestion.

guzzi

• View Profile
Re: Network clarification question
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2014, 06:32:29 pm »
That probably depends on the router. Mine can be set to 'exposed host' per user. Why do you need to completely bypass the router firewall? Won't a few port forwarding rules do?

muffetta

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2014, 06:44:35 pm »
So, the main's router owner could be that he say right.
Since some sites are not available for me, i thought it was the firewall or a particular configuration of both routers.
Should i ask for a better configuration?
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 06:47:16 pm by Barbara »

muffetta

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2014, 06:58:42 pm »
Won't a few port forwarding rules do?
Sure, also this could be useful  :P

dbanet

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2014, 07:14:53 pm »
Barbara, just buy a VPN access for 5$/mo. and you will get an external IP fully exposed to the Internet and your local authorities' Internet censoring (if any) bypass with just a little bandwidth and CPU time overhead.

You can also buy an own wireless router compatible with, for example, DD-WRT or Open-WRT firmwares (may be less than 10$ on secondhand markets) that you can use to set up a VPN client onto and get a seamless access from all devices connected to it. You can administrate port forwarding yourself then.

Best wishes,
Boris.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 07:19:05 pm by Boris »

guzzi

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2014, 08:33:50 pm »
So, the main's router owner could be that he say right.
Since some sites are not available for me, i thought it was the firewall or a particular configuration of both routers.
Should i ask for a better configuration?

A router firewall usually doesn't block access to sites. Most routers have a possibility to block certain sites though, parental control). You might want to check the router configuration because it should be possible to access everything the isp lets through without bypassing the firewall.