Author Topic: Need help with QSINIT Loader - SUCCESS!!!!!!  (Read 30170 times)

Sigurd Fastenrath

• OS/2 Versus Hardware - Maximum Warp!
    • View Profile
Re: Need help with QSINIT Loader
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2014, 02:49:35 pm »
Sorry about the memboot infestation but for what you want to do you need to know about it.

I don't have a computer here with updcd on it but from memory (it has been a couple of years since I last used it) the updated boot disks only appear in the temp dir and are deleted when it creates a CD image.  When I first used it I paused the create process and had a look at what was in the temp dir and made adjustments as necessary.

I see that walking_x has given this a test and it works (renaming QSINIT to OS2LDR and including OS2LDR.INI).

It appears that you are now at the position I was a few years ago with creating non standard CD/DVDs of OS/2 which caused me to learn about memdisk to produce no-emulation-boot CD/DVDs.  With the work being done on the OS4 kernel, QSINIT, USB and a few other things, it appears that I will have to produce my own updated, enhanced DVD (I already have over 1GB of bits to add to the basic install).

Hi Ivan,
If you follow my thread at the German OS/2 forum you will see that this is exactly what I am doing - I pause updcd and pack the files during thos phase - what is already working for os2ahci in example. I have to dig more there, thanks again.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2014, 06:46:06 pm »
Hi Sigurd,

There are two sets of disk images that you have to be concerned with, those in the os2image directory and those in the diskimgs directory. 

The ones in the os2image dir are the ones that you can add packed files to, which is what I am assuming you are doing.  Those in the diskimgs dir are the images used to boot the CD/DVD.  Although they are a standard diskimage file (you can make a floppy disk from them) non of the files used for booting in there are packed, zipped or compressed in any way because there is nothing at that stage of the boot that can uncompress them.  Unfortunately updcd creates these image files before you pause the process. 

The only way to change them is to open then in a v-floppy, unless you have a floppy drive available and several spare floppies, change what you need to and then convert that floppy back to an image - or use memboot which allows better manipulation of what is there (use e_pf.exe from memboot to open the  .pf files in the bootimgs dir of your eCS CD to get some idea of what can be used there - for example, all of the *.BIO files in disk_0 are no longer used). 

Sigurd Fastenrath

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2014, 08:12:39 am »
Hi Ivan,
Hi Walking_X,

this have been my next steps:

- updated the in UPDCD2.61 included memboot files (dated 2006) with those from 2009
- builded based on this the new DVD files
- changed the config.sys
- copied the from QSINIT291 needed files and more to \OS2IMAGE\DISK_0 and packed them
-> so here everything as before

then I used e_pf.exe to look into the \UPDCD\BURN\BOOTIMGS\BOOTDISK.PF
- the files that I packed and copied before are not included. That proofs that the steps before (copying to DISK_0) did not add something to bootdisk.pf, so what you already said is allright and I am able to follow these steps  ;)

I guess that UPDCD when booting the DVD "just" takes averything that is inside BOOTDISK.PF into MEMDISK.PF.
It boots the files from DISK_0 but in memory there are the files of BOOTDISK.PF - so

-> QSLoader is started from the root of the DVD (named OS2LDR)
-> Does QSLoader expects to find QSINIT.LDI in the root of the DVD or in the "Memory Drive" Z: ?
-> to proof this I copied the QSINIT.LDI file into the root directory of the DVD, so in \UPDCD\BURN
-> to get in Memory Drive Z: I gues I have to include it in Bootdisk.PF

Therefore I copied the files that I copied before to DISK_0 to the extracted BOOTDISK.PF Directory.
No I would like to pack this Directory back or convert it in the BOOTDISK.PF file format.

Do you know what I have to do (wich command from memdisk) to achieve this?

Thank you in advance!!

Sigurd
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 08:16:28 am by Sigurd Fastenrath »

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2014, 11:57:48 am »
Hi Sigurd,

You use Packfile.exe <script-file-name> to make a .pf file.

Read the packfile.txt in the memboot\doc dir to get an idea about how to create the needed script file.  Don't forget to add the pointer to the next .pf file if you are using more than one.

walking_x

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2014, 12:48:11 pm »
In no-emulation-boot mode - both QSINIT (named as OS2LDR) and QSINIT.LDI must be in the root of memdisk (at least I made it this way in my test).
OS2LDR.INI is optional.

But, QSINIT has another one questionable feature ;) It detects "OS/2 boot mode" on FAT by presence of OS2BOOT file in the same root. If file missing - "QSINIT without OS/2" assumed (on FAT or FAT32) and own "Apps Menu" (green) will be opened.
So if OS2BOOT missing on ramdisk - you can create a small one in text editor (with some spaces inside) - it not required for boot, but acts as a "flag".

Alex Taylor

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2014, 01:30:21 pm »
Hi Sigurd,

When you extract a PF file with E_PF, the current script for that file is dumped to STDOUT.  So if you redirect that to a file, you will have a pre-made script for recreating the PF file with PACKFILE.  (Of course, you'll generally need to modify it a bit to handle any changes you made to the contents.)

Also, I've sent you a PM.

Sigurd Fastenrath

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2014, 02:12:41 pm »
Hi Alex,
Ivan,
Walking_X

thank you very much for your hints and contribution - it is really appreciated!!

As it seemed to be to hard for me to get used to memboot and the .pf files I was thinking about the process of UPDCD. It came to my mind that - if UPDCD produces a bootdisk.pf - there must be a script bootdisk.scr somewhere.
But I was not able to find it in the UPDCD directory.
Therefore I looked into the UPDCD.LOG of my last attempt and searched for bootdisk.
And yes - I found some lines regarding this.  :D

It turned out that UPDCD produces the bootdisk.scr only for a short duration of time, pointing from there to the \tmp directory, that is as well only there for a short time in \UPDCD\BURN\BOOTIMGS - just to build the BOOTDISK.PF - and then both will be automatically deleted by the program.

I rememberd the way I took to change and modify the config.sys - (please see my thread at the german forum) - by adding a 'pause' command in the \UPDCD\LIB\updif.rlb - so I looked for the part, right before the bootdiskfiles are copied from the tmp directory.

So the program stopped as I wanted and I then copied the files I wanted to add to the \tmp directory and then continued the UPDCD process. Later I did as before as well - copying the files to DISK_0 and packed them, to complete the procedure.

So, I do have a new DVD now - I will burn it and give it a try! 

Let's see if this brings me one step ahead or...

@Walking_X: OS2BOOT is already inlcuded in the bootdisk.pf by UPDCD - I checked it.

8)

EDIT: No - still the same error message..... I checked the bootdisk.pf -> extracted it with e_pf.exe -> the files QSINIT.LDI and so on are all included, so the way I packed them into the bootdisk.pf did work, but still there is something missing....
Will check later.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 02:35:48 pm by Sigurd Fastenrath »

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2014, 05:01:39 pm »
Hi Sigurd,

Could you post a list of the files in your bootdisk.pf?  There has to be either something missing or something causing a conflict.  Also did you unpack the memdisk from the iso Walking_X made and compared it with what you have?

Sigurd Fastenrath

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2014, 09:28:24 pm »
Hi Sigurd,

Could you post a list of the files in your bootdisk.pf?  There has to be either something missing or something causing a conflict.  Also did you unpack the memdisk from the iso Walking_X made and compared it with what you have?

Hi Ivan,

files - please see attached picture

iso - no, sorry, did not unpack it so far, will try tomorrow.

Wim Brul

• View Profile
    • Wim's home page
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2014, 11:18:23 am »
Hi Sigurd,

It turned out that UPDCD produces the bootdisk.scr only for a short duration of time, pointing from there to the \tmp directory, that is as well only there for a short time in \UPDCD\BURN\BOOTIMGS - just to build the BOOTDISK.PF - and then both will be automatically deleted by the program.

I rememberd the way I took to change and modify the config.sys - (please see my thread at the german forum) - by adding a 'pause' command in the \UPDCD\LIB\updif.rlb - so I looked for the part, right before the bootdiskfiles are copied from the tmp directory.

So the program stopped as I wanted and I then copied the files I wanted to add to the \tmp directory and then continued the UPDCD process. Later I did as before as well - copying the files to DISK_0 and packed them, to complete the procedure.

Are you sure that the program stopped where you wanted? When I look at bootdisk1.png it seems to me that you paused after packing \temp into bootdisk.pf and your add to the \tmp directory has been done in vain.

Regards, Wim. 

Sigurd Fastenrath

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2014, 01:05:49 pm »
Hi all,

first I have to apologize - I made so many attemps now. with each one producing the file temp.raw_00 wich I had to burn, that the last time I mixed them up  :-\

The same error message occured simply because I burned the same raw image as before...

I noticed this in the morning and burned the "rigt" new one that I built yesterday.
Once I started to boot this DVD it did stop even earlier than the one before, stating that:

OS2CSM.BIN is corrupted EDIT: this file is contained in bootdisk.pf and is 42 byte

- please see attached picture.

What might went wrong this time?

@Wim: Thanks for looking at this as well, I just placed the 'pause' where I thought it might make sense as I am not familiar with the Rexx commands used there - where would you place the command? But as far as I can see it did work - please see the screenshot of my last post (bootdisk6.png), where I did use e_pf.exe to extract the "new" bootdisk.pf I created right before with UPDCD. All the files I copied (i.e. QSINIT.LDI, hd4disk.add etc.) have been included.

Please note: at the screenshot below you can see that I already included memdisk files from 2009, and for me the German version  :)

Thanks to all of you - I am really hopefull to achieve my goal during the next time - thanks to your help!

Once I have finished all this I will ask Zsolt Kaddar if it is possible and allowed if he - or someone else - might include and automate these steps with an addition to UPDCD.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 01:34:02 pm by Sigurd Fastenrath »

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2014, 03:42:54 pm »
Since OS2CSM.BIN does not appear on any of my CD/DVDs I have to ask where did you get it from and what is it supposed to do?

You could also try removing it and see if that allows you to book from the CD/DVD.

Sigurd Fastenrath

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2014, 06:42:08 pm »
Since OS2CSM.BIN does not appear on any of my CD/DVDs I have to ask where did you get it from and what is it supposed to do?

You could also try removing it and see if that allows you to book from the CD/DVD.

I guess it has something to do with UPDCD and the bootprocess - it is a file that seems to be created and placed in the bootdisk.pf

http://www.os2world.com/past-news/80-software/3422-

As this problem did not occur before I think I will revome the changes I made to UPDCD with the memdisk files I updated.

walking_x

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2014, 07:06:24 pm »
OS2CSM.BIN is "config.sys" editor implementation (like in eCS CD).
Why boot process ask for it? It was selected somewhere in setup?

Sigurd Fastenrath

• View Profile
Re: Need help with QSINIT Loader - SUCCESS!!!!!!
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2014, 08:31:26 pm »
Oh Baby I have got it!! 8) 8)!!!!

Replacing the changed membootfiles with thos form UPDCD did it!!!!!!
What a superb feeling!!!

I can now boot the Installation DVD and Enter the QSINIT Menue with all the benefits!! I can inspect the HDD, delete and add partitions, check the ACPI Table, the PCI ..... and play Tetris!!!

Das ist der absolute HAMMER!!!   8) ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I attach some pictures taken while booting the X200 Tablet PC.

I will write more when I calm down a bit  :D :D :D :D

Thanks for all your support! Now I have got a really god base to try more!!!!