Author Topic: Need help with QSINIT Loader - SUCCESS!!!!!!  (Read 28466 times)

Sigurd Fastenrath

• OS/2 Versus Hardware - Maximum Warp!
    • View Profile
Need help with QSINIT Loader - SUCCESS!!!!!!
« on: September 19, 2014, 09:15:24 am »
Hi,

I am getting closer with "my" OS/4 DVD. I made a bootable DVD and tried to include the QSINIT Loader. The boot process does stuck now at this point (from my documentation):

https://translate.google.de/translate?hl=de&sl=de&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.os2.org%2Fviewtopic.php%3Ff%3D2%26t%3D117%26start%3D25%23p1825

EDIT: May it be that QSINIT.LDI is on the DVD a "Read only file" and can therefore not been unzipped during boot? Just a shot in the dark...

Help is appreciated! Thanks in Advance!
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 08:23:26 pm by Sigurd Fastenrath »

ivan

• View Profile
Re: Need help with QSINIT Loader
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2014, 05:33:00 pm »
My experience in making bootable OS/2 CDs and DVDs is that you can't have anything that needs to be unpaked or unziped during the initial boot process.

Using memboot requires that the packed files are unpacked into memory before they can be used and all those files are in an unpacked state. 

It would therefore appear that you need to unzip the QSINIT file and the include that in your disk3.pf (the one that contains all the odd extra files required at boot time).

Sigurd Fastenrath

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2014, 07:36:53 pm »
My experience in making bootable OS/2 CDs and DVDs is that you can't have anything that needs to be unpaked or unziped during the initial boot process.

Using memboot requires that the packed files are unpacked into memory before they can be used and all those files are in an unpacked state. 

It would therefore appear that you need to unzip the QSINIT file and the include that in your disk3.pf (the one that contains all the odd extra files required at boot time).

Hi Ivan,

Thank you very much. But how can I do this exactly -what do I need to do

- to open disk3.pf
- how the include the files
- how to close the pf file again?
- where is disk3.pf located?

Do I need a special program or what kinds of commands for this?

Thanks again!

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2014, 01:11:32 am »
First thing, get a copy of Hayo Baan's bootable http://hrbaan.home.xs4all.nl/bootAble/ and Veit's memdisk http://kannegieser.net/veit (this is listed together with loaddll, tar and untar in the bootable readme).

I got my basic knowledge of using memboot from reading the demo.cmd from memboot and the bootable.cmd from bootable.

I use four .pf files (disk0.pf, disk1.pf, disk2.pf and disk3.pf.  Disk 0 and 1 are the OS/2 boot floppies (disk0-1 and disk2) disk2 are support files that allow me to format disks etc. (virtually disk3 of the OS/2 disk images disks) and disk3 is a catch all for those files that may be needed but get updated frequently.

If, after you have read the memboot documentation, you still need step by step instructions send me a PM and I will dig out my notes for you.  I say this because it is much better that you try for yourself because what I do may not be exactly what you want. 

walking_x

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2014, 07:40:49 am »
EDIT: May it be that QSINIT.LDI is on the DVD a "Read only file" and can therefore not been unzipped during boot? Just a shot in the dark...
Something wrong with diskette access (emulated diskette, this can cause troubles :) ).
Can you try this OS2LDR build (same revision, as yours, but verbose) and post screen to somewhere.
(or just e-mail me to the address at the end of QSINIT readme ;) )

walking_x

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2014, 11:43:23 am »
Or you can try last (today's) version  - I made some fixes in floppy detection, to let it ignore errors in emulation :)
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 05:37:59 pm by walking_x »

Sigurd Fastenrath

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2014, 02:15:31 pm »
Or you can try last (today's) version  - I made some fixed in floppy detection, to let it ignore errors in emulation :)

Thank you very much, I will give it a try this evening (ASAP)!

:)

Sigurd Fastenrath

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2014, 06:22:38 pm »
Update: sorry, the same result with 289 and 291, same error message. Forgot to look at the 289 screen message and have to do it again. will post it later this evening.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 06:29:47 pm by Sigurd Fastenrath »

walking_x

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2014, 06:30:49 pm »
Update: sorry, the same result with 289 and 291, same error message.
Is there some new lines on screen with verbose 289 build?
Or, can you send me image file of first diskette?
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 06:56:07 pm by walking_x »

Sigurd Fastenrath

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2014, 08:26:08 pm »
Update: sorry, the same result with 289 and 291, same error message.
Is there some new lines on screen with verbose 289 build?
Or, can you send me image file of first diskette?

Here is the picture:

First diskette: sorry what do you mean, \os2image\disk_0 or bootimage? Thanks!

« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 08:38:09 pm by Sigurd Fastenrath »

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2014, 10:09:01 pm »
Regarding the disk image.  If you are using updcd to construct your DVD it will be the disk0-1 that is created to be used for the memboot.

You really do need to get a copy of bootable and memboot to see just how memboot is used to make a boot CD.

I have used updcd to create updated versions of OS/2 which I then manually manipulate to produce CDs and DVDs to allow me to do such things as maintain our servers, troubleshoot our test computers and restore boot disk images.

When I get time (I have a couple of technical manuals that must be ready for the publisher before the end of the month) I will try and produce a CD that will use memboot using QSINIT loader in place of OS2LDR.  I don't see any reason why it shouldn't work but you will most probably have to manually include it in the disk image the CD/DVD boots from - as far as I remember updcd won't do things like that for you.

walking_x

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2014, 10:33:50 pm »
Here is the picture:
Hm, you use memboot, it creates "pseudo-hdd" and something going wrong...
I will try to make simple memboot disk and check what it is.

p.s. checked it and it works :)
You can try "3a.ISO" in public dir of QSINIT ftp - it creates 16Mb MEMDISK and boot to cmd.exe.
So, may be QSINIT.LDI is missing in script for memdisk archives?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 12:41:43 am by walking_x »

Sigurd Fastenrath

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2014, 01:31:14 am »
Regarding the disk image.  If you are using updcd to construct your DVD it will be the disk0-1 that is created to be used for the memboot.

You really do need to get a copy of bootable and memboot to see just how memboot is used to make a boot CD.

I have used updcd to create updated versions of OS/2 which I then manually manipulate to produce CDs and DVDs to allow me to do such things as maintain our servers, troubleshoot our test computers and restore boot disk images.

When I get time (I have a couple of technical manuals that must be ready for the publisher before the end of the month) I will try and produce a CD that will use memboot using QSINIT loader in place of OS2LDR.  I don't see any reason why it shouldn't work but you will most probably have to manually include it in the disk image the CD/DVD boots from - as far as I remember updcd won't do things like that for you.

Hi Ivan, thanks for this but I will first wait if walking_x can achieve something as I do have no clue about memboot and bootable - I just use the UPDCD inbuild and the hints about "PACK2".

EDIT: you infected me with the memboot virus  ;) so I will have a closer look at this as well  :) 
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 11:43:29 am by Sigurd Fastenrath »

Sigurd Fastenrath

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2014, 12:59:49 pm »

Hi Ivan,

and where is this disk0_1 located, please? Thanks!

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2014, 01:43:33 pm »
Sorry about the memboot infestation but for what you want to do you need to know about it.

I don't have a computer here with updcd on it but from memory (it has been a couple of years since I last used it) the updated boot disks only appear in the temp dir and are deleted when it creates a CD image.  When I first used it I paused the create process and had a look at what was in the temp dir and made adjustments as necessary.

I see that walking_x has given this a test and it works (renaming QSINIT to OS2LDR and including OS2LDR.INI).

It appears that you are now at the position I was a few years ago with creating non standard CD/DVDs of OS/2 which caused me to learn about memdisk to produce no-emulation-boot CD/DVDs.  With the work being done on the OS4 kernel, QSINIT, USB and a few other things, it appears that I will have to produce my own updated, enhanced DVD (I already have over 1GB of bits to add to the basic install).