Author Topic: Heavy issues with PSI/2  (Read 16765 times)

Mentore

• View Profile
Heavy issues with PSI/2
« on: September 24, 2014, 09:49:31 am »
Hello all, I searched the forum for a similar argument but found nothing, so here I am.

I installed the latest PSI and gave it a try, still it has the same bad behavior of the earlier releases: suddendly it hangs the WPS, with or without Firefox running.

I'd like to use PSI for my chat sessions, which usually I do at late evening, but this PSI problem is puzzling me.

Did someone of you notice some strange behavior of this software? (needless to say, the Windows version works fine) I have little time to fiddle with its settings, but I feel it could be something like incoming message notifications or something similar.

Thanks in Advance.
Mentore

Andi B.

• View Profile
Re: Heavy issues with PSI/2
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2014, 11:11:54 am »
PSI works here without hanging the WPS. Although I do not use it very much it never hang the WPS. Beside the sigfpe bug (PSI crashes) I opened a ticket for it works.

I usually switch off all audio notifications from OS and applications as I do not like this constant noise from computers. Maybe that's a difference.

Mentore

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2014, 11:59:43 am »
Yes, this is one thing to consider. Thanks, I'll try ASAP.

Mentore

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2014, 01:20:24 pm »
Hi Mentore.

Just in case, have you tried updating the libraries that PSI/2 requires? Did you use RPM/YUM to do a install of the dependencies?

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Mentore

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2014, 12:01:54 pm »
Yes Martin, everything is updated. There's still to try. Yesterday, though, I disabled sound completely and it seemed working fine.

I need to fine-tune something and maybe it will work without problems. (And I still have to understand why unimix claims audio is fine, but I don't have any sound. Puzzles me, and there's not enough time :( )

Mentore

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2014, 07:31:04 pm »
Hmm...I used to have this program, then I believe there was a patch of some sorts released...I have 0.15 here, sound is turned ON all the time, no hangs or issues. But...the 0.16 drop (or several I tried) actually wasn't able to connect correctly. I haven't tried the latest one that just got released.

Let me know if you want to see the directory listing of what I have.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 08:55:57 pm by Dariusz Piatkowski »

guzzi

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2014, 08:49:51 pm »
I have no problems with PSI/2, with or without sound. Could it be a problem with your sound driver? Older versions of uniaud do have various problems. Some other older drivers are not smp safe.

Mentore

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2014, 09:12:01 am »
Indeed, it seems I definitely *have* some problems with uniaud. For one, even if Unimix does its work correctly (identifying all the controls and modifying them) I don't have any sound. LBMix doesn't even recognize a Master output.

Seems I'll have to revert to an older uniaud version.

I solved PSI/2 problems by turning all audio off, which is another symptom of my driver problems - rather strange though, MAME/2 works without any problem: no sound at all but not a single crash (the same goes for SDLMAME).

guzzi

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2014, 11:31:19 am »
Which version of uniaud are you using? 1.9.26 is the latest supported one. Do you have an SMP system? Do you have ACPI installed, if so, which version and with which parameters?

Mentore

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2014, 08:42:24 am »
Which version of uniaud are you using? 1.9.26 is the latest supported one. Do you have an SMP system? Do you have ACPI installed, if so, which version and with which parameters?

IIRC I'm using the latest one (but I could be wrong) which comes with eCS 2.1. I've got an SMP system working with the latest ACPI - and AFAICR, it's in APIC mode working good. I'll post the relevant informations as soon as I have my machine up and running.

guzzi

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2014, 09:13:11 am »

IIRC I'm using the latest one (but I could be wrong) which comes with eCS 2.1. I've got an SMP system working with the latest ACPI - and AFAICR, it's in APIC mode working good. I'll post the relevant informations as soon as I have my machine up and running.

There have been a number of significant imrovements since eCS2.1. Try with version 1.09.06.

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2014, 08:52:23 pm »
Well, I went back to try the latest PSI 0.16 DEV version...still no luck on my end...just logged a ticket on Netlabs, see http://trac.netlabs.org/qtapps/ticket/88

Is anyone else having problems connecting with the 0.16 PSI?

Mentore

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2014, 10:45:11 am »
Well, I went back to try the latest PSI 0.16 DEV version...still no luck on my end...just logged a ticket on Netlabs, see http://trac.netlabs.org/qtapps/ticket/88

Is anyone else having problems connecting with the 0.16 PSI?

Since at least a week, PSI keeps trying connecting to my facebook chat account without any result. I'll follow the discussion.

Silvan Scherrer

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2014, 12:08:59 pm »
Hi all,

you are sure that Port 5222 is open and not somehow protected by a firewall?
Could you eventually show the psi settings you use?

I only use gmail/gtalk with psi, and this works w/o problems.

regards
Silvan
kind regards
Silvan
CTO bww bitwise works GmbH

Please help us with donations, so we can further work on OS/2 based projects. Our Shop is at https://www.bitwiseworks.com/shop/index.php

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2014, 03:27:51 pm »
Hi all,

you are sure that Port 5222 is open and not somehow protected by a firewall?
Could you eventually show the psi settings you use?

I only use gmail/gtalk with psi, and this works w/o problems.

regards
Silvan

Yes, Port 5222 is open, I have a NetGear WNDR3800 router and use PortForwarding...co-incidentally with 0.15 I never actually had any sort of PortForwarding settings in place...never had an issue...but given this result I decided to rule this out.

I'd love to show all the other PSI settings just not sure if there is a way to do this short of doing a screenshot capture attachement...???

Also just noticed my Netlabs ticket has been updated, I will provide some feedback.