Author Topic: Firefox for eCS (OS/2) 24.8.1 Beta2 using very high CPU.  (Read 24719 times)

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
Re: Firefox for eCS (OS/2) 24.8.1 Beta2 using very high CPU.
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2014, 04:56:47 am »
Do you guys have REIPL=ON in your config.sys? I haven't had a random reboot in ages and seldom get traps, the very occasional trap 3 in JFS and when I marked SeaMonkey and Thunderbird to use high memory Thunderbird became unstable, even causing a trap 0. I unmarked Thunderbird and the system became stable.

Andy Willis

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2014, 11:18:42 pm »
Do you guys have REIPL=ON in your config.sys? I haven't had a random reboot in ages and seldom get traps, the very occasional trap 3 in JFS and when I marked SeaMonkey and Thunderbird to use high memory Thunderbird became unstable, even causing a trap 0. I unmarked Thunderbird and the system became stable.
In my case, No.. In fact I explicitly added REIPL=OFF just to make sure because I didn't want it to be an issue and traps give me a trap dump attempt (it won't actually create a dump but that is something else).

guzzi

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2014, 03:28:56 pm »

No, don't have the REIPL statement in config.sys, and default is off.

Jan-Erik Lärka

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2014, 07:46:58 am »

Nope, just a plain eCS v2.2 Beta just reinstalled.

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2014, 08:53:12 pm »
No auto-reboots here, but...when I moved to SMP config (AMD Phenom II - X6) Firefox went into this crazy CPU spike mode...ultimately what has always worked for me is to set the following in CONFIG.SYS:

SET NSPR_OS2_NO_HIRES_TIMER=1

This is documented in the 24.8.1 README as well, take a peek at it for more details.

I have not tried turning this OFF with 24.8.1 yet though...only had a single re-boot since my move from 17.x to 24.8.1.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2014, 10:25:15 pm »
SET NSPR_OS2_NO_HIRES_TIMER=1 should be set by default in eCS, at least 2.1 and newer and has been recommended for various issues for the longest time, probably pre-Firefox.
The os4krnl is supposed to have a fix for the HI-RES timer