Author Topic: timeouts when posting  (Read 24666 times)

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
timeouts when posting
« on: September 29, 2014, 02:14:53 am »
A while ago I mentioned that occasionally I'll get a timed out message when posting and my post would helpfully be blank. Once this starts the  only way to post is to go back to the post, shutdown the browser and reboot. I can't remember which thread it was so starting a new one including a screen shot.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
Re: timeouts when posting
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2014, 12:14:07 am »
Hi

I will test this more. I will install SeaMonkey and try out to see what is happening.

Regards.
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2014, 05:38:17 am »
Don't think it's a SeaMonkey problem but next time it happens I'll try Firefox.

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2014, 10:11:46 am »
Don't think it's a SeaMonkey problem but next time it happens I'll try Firefox.

My guess would be a PHP setting relating to session timeouts. I had a similar issue with my mantis site.

What is the current setting for session.gc_maxlifetime ?

The default according to http://community.sitepoint.com/t/php-sessions-keep-expiring-too-early/21183 is 24 minutes.

Dave - any idea how idea how long you'd been composing the post for when it timed out?

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2014, 04:24:50 pm »

Dave - any idea how idea how long you'd been composing the post for when it timed out?

It seems to be how long the post itself takes, eg happens when the network is congested, which happens too often due to a couple of computers sharing a dial up pipe.
The weird thing is that once it starts, it takes a reboot before it goes away. Restarting the browser or changing IP address isn't good enough

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2014, 10:59:50 pm »
Last time it happened I fried up Firefox 24.3, exactly the same problem.

Andreas Schnellbacher

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2014, 12:18:54 pm »
Some days ago it happened here for the first time, without changing the browser or the profile. Also my internet connection via ADSL is far better than Dave's. The bad is that getting the content back via the 'Back' button doesn't work then. One has to copy the content to the clipboard before pressing the 'Post' button.

Moreover, I noticed the following, also since a few days: The Yoomla main page www.os2world.com/ won't keep me logged in anymore, while the Simple Machines Forum pages still keep me logged in.

After pressing the 'Log in' button on the main page, I get a blank page with a single message: Invalid Token

I suspect the cookie processing doesn't work anymore for the main page: After I deleted the cookies, it started to work, but just one time.

Maybe these two are somehow related.

Ian Manners

• Global Moderator
  • I am the computer, it is me.
    • View Profile
    • ComKal Networks Australia
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2014, 08:08:26 pm »
 Invalid Token <== so it wasnt just me :)
I just click on the URL box at the time and reload os2world from there after the token error and all is good, I have noticed when I had to relog in again this session I nolonger got the Token error message. Maybe someones fixed it.

I did mean to say something at the time about the login problems I had but its been a busy past week in Perth, now our visitors have left I can spend some time at home, and I though it might have something to do with my build of Firefox which is incredibly flaky (not Dave or the Bitwise build).
Cheers
Ian B Manners

Ian Manners

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2014, 05:54:19 am »
Not fixed, I just got the Invalid Token message again so clicked back on a bookmarked os2world.com URL.
Cant simply refresh even though the URL is in the box, assume a refresh still tries to reload something else.

I'm deleted my os2world.com cookies but the problem remains.
Cheers
Ian B Manners

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2014, 01:40:07 pm »
Hi

I'm trying to find the source of the "Invalid Token" error when logging in, but I still haven't found it.

I'm reading this: http://www.itoctopus.com/invalid-token-on-joomla-login
But for the moment the Joomla cache is already off. I'm trying to find out if other Joomla plugin that I have installed is giving conflicts.

Regards.
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Andreas Schnellbacher

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2014, 11:42:08 pm »
Login via the Joomla main page has just worked for me for the first time since about 2 weeks - without the error message!

Ian Manners

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2014, 05:09:09 am »
re the Token error message, I just went to os2world.com, ignored the login screen and the left, clicked on a forum post, edited a forum post as the forum always keeps me logged in, went back to the home page and noticed I'm now logged in via Joomla.
Cheers
Ian B Manners

Andreas Schnellbacher

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2014, 06:14:14 pm »
I have just found this to be the easiest method for me to work around the login problem:

I start the main page http://www.os2world.com/ as usual. I am not logged in. Then I just reload the page, either via the Mozilla controls or via clicking on the bookmark again. The page then shows me that I'm logged in.

Ben

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2014, 10:24:29 pm »
I have the same problem here however, the problem is not there with Firefox under Windows 7.

Ergo: it could be a problem with the latest Firefox for OS/2 as opposed to an OS/2 World problem.

I'm using the latest Firefox for OS/2. What is everyone else using that has this problem?

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2014, 11:03:24 pm »
I'm using the latest Firefox for OS/2. What is everyone else using that has this problem?

I am using the latest Firefox, and I don't have the problem (yet). I suppose it could be something in your profile, or something else that you do, or don't do, that I do, or don't.