Author Topic: Firefox 38.8.0 - userchrome.css and UI settings...  (Read 9446 times)

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
Firefox 38.8.0 - userchrome.css and UI settings...
« on: January 07, 2017, 05:06:27 pm »
Hi Everyone!

Over the holidays I managed to find a little time to re-take the plunge into 38.x Firefox...previously I got stuck on the YUM/RPM install and reconciling this new method with my previous way of maintaining DLLs, now beyond this.

OK, so in my FF 17.x install I had customized the userchrome.css to control the fonts & sizes of the UI. As FF 38.x inherited these settings they look rather ugly...so rolling the changes back to just a default version of that css produces a very clean UI.

My question to you is: who is using what changes to create a pleasant (beauty is in the eye of beholder of course...lol) look for the UI?

I am of course using Workplace Sans font, etc, etc...also looking at the " Theme Font & Size Changer 50.2" Add-On as it appears to be designed to do exactly what I'm talking about, albeit in a much more user-friendly way.

EDIT: having done some comparisons take a peek at the attached screen-capture...it shows the differences with a default userchrome.css but using the TTF and BitMapped TTF version of the Workplace_Sans fonts.

Thanks!
-Dariusz
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 05:08:57 am by Dariusz Piatkowski »

xynixme

Re: Firefox 38.8.0 - userchrome.css and UI settings...
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2017, 02:08:27 pm »
Is there a way to disable or to reduce the frequency of the message "You haven't used FF for a while. Welcome back! Do you want to renew/refresh/tune up FF?".

The answer would be no/never, to not have to install add-ons and restore the UI language again, but it looks like that's not an option.

Greggory Shaw

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2017, 02:16:43 pm »
Is there a way to disable or to reduce the frequency of the message "You haven't used FF for a while. Welcome back! Do you want to renew/refresh/tune up FF?".

The answer would be no/never, to not have to install add-ons and restore the UI language again, but it looks like that's not an option.

It's been answered on here search the forum and it's on the Warpzilla tips page too.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 02:18:28 pm by Greggory Shaw »

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2017, 05:06:12 pm »
Is there a way to disable or to reduce the frequency of the message "You haven't used FF for a while.

It is triggered by the age of the Parent.lock file in the profile. Just delete it, when FF is closed. If you really want to make it "permanent", put something in the boot sequence to delete it, if it exists, at each boot. It will be recreated.

FWIW, I started to have some strange memory usage problems, and the message popped up, so I let it do it. I haven't had the memory problems since then. There were not very many things that needed to be fixed.

xynixme

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2017, 02:42:30 am »
There were not very many things that needed to be fixed.

In the case of OS/2 (en-us distribution only) the UI language is an annoying one, because it's not as easy as opening all FF XPI files again, and I frequently use the large button in the bottom left corner without wanting to read pop-ups each time. Thanks.

I'm not sure what not having used FF for a while has to do with a refreshment. You'ld perhaps except a refreshment if you'ld use it frequently, when a broken profile or some memory-related problem is far more likely. It's rather a weird "welcome back"...

xynixme

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2017, 02:48:13 am »
It's been answered on here search the forum and it's on the Warpzilla tips page too.

Yes, if we ignore the fact that e.g. Warpzilla uses none of my words (theirs are reseting, profile, bug and parent.lock). Thank you for playing the role of a human search engine, and I'll try to remember that I won't answer any question here which can be answered by using possibly unrelated information of any source.

Greggory Shaw

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2017, 03:28:30 am »

Yes, if we ignore the fact that e.g. Warpzilla uses none of my words (theirs are reseting, profile, bug and parent.lock). Thank you for playing the role of a human search engine, and I'll try to remember that I won't answer any question here which can be answered by using possibly unrelated information of any source.

Totally lost on what you are saying now, let me add you may want to search bug report first too :)

Official answer (if I got your question right in the first place).

A proper human search would turn this up, don't see a bug report from you:
https://github.com/bitwiseworks/mozilla-os2/issues/177
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 04:06:42 am by Greggory Shaw »

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2017, 03:32:59 am »
I'm not sure what not having used FF for a while has to do with a refreshment. You'ld perhaps except a refreshment if you'ld use it frequently, when a broken profile or some memory-related problem is far more likely. It's rather a weird "welcome back"...

Considering how fragile the profile can be, they perhaps assume that you stopped using Firefox due to profile issues such as Doug with his memory usage.

xynixme

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2017, 03:54:44 am »
If you really want to make it "permanent", put something in the boot sequence to delete it, if it exists, at each boot.

FWIW: if one has a clean STARTUP.CMD policy, then it can be added to an own frequently used, irrelevant CMD file. For example a X.CMD of 5 bytes, which could delete the file before executing its "@EXIT".

xynixme

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2017, 04:06:34 am »
Considering how fragile the profile can be, they perhaps assume that you stopped using Firefox due to profile issues such as Doug with his memory usage.

LOL, granted. In that case it isn't the only assumption, and it keeps asking the question without the STFU option of "Firefox appears ... to be .. starting slowly. Do ... you want ... to disable ... add-ons? (Y/N/STFU)". Nevertheless I did expect it was a setting.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2017, 04:56:34 am »
There is a setting that can shut it up as well, just easier to remember to touch parent.lock. As for deleting it, I prefer to touch it as it is simpler. There's obviously a bug somewhere as FF should touch the file every time it starts up/shuts down.
There's a issue on the subject at github where the preference is mentioned.

xynixme

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2017, 12:00:23 pm »
There's obviously a bug somewhere as FF should touch the file every time it starts up/shuts down.
There's a issue on the subject at github where the preference is mentioned.

I'm not sure about it being a bug. A proper Y/N dialog is missing. So you cannot answer N excplicitly, while possibly experiencing Doug's memory issues. If you don't want to give the only button a try, then closing the (poorly designed) dialog is the only option. But closing doesn't have to mean "no, and touch the file". Closing means "I don't want to execute the only option, smashed in my face, now".

A sticking setting may be easier than remembering the settings to restore a different UI language, but I'll consider touching it. Finding the variable path to the file isn't that hard.

I may start liking the ICT way of answering questions, with "something" that "somehow" can be found "somewhere", in a huge collection of "internet stuff"...