Author Topic: Graphic Work Bench and ImageMagick  (Read 8829 times)

Fr4nk

Graphic Work Bench and ImageMagick
« on: October 08, 2014, 08:15:07 pm »
Hello,

atm I'm developing a set of tools dealing with graphic files on os2 and ecs.

The first tool is kind of a folder style light table for image files, which displays user sizable thumbnails and file details (unlike the old os2 light table it handles lot more formats and works with large files aswell).

Here is a screenshot:

The second tool is a new settings notebook for graphic files, which display lot of data, and includes bitmap manipulations and edit-functions aswell.

Screenshot:

This is just a first shoot, there will be more notebook pages for other stuff like filters.

The problem is now that there are some bugs in Image Magick and I need help on this side. I'm using IM as back-end.

I  already asked Paul but he has no time to fix these issues. So my question is: can anybody help out and get some things in Image Magick running? I have no skills in C development and I'm busy enough to work on the GUI and WPS integration.

TIA
Frank, subsys.de

PS: there is already a thread at os2.org in German language on os2.org

guzzi

• View Profile
Re: Graphic Work Bench and ImageMagick
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2014, 11:59:38 pm »
There is a fork of imagemagick called graphicsmagick, ported by Gianfilippo Cimmino. Perhaps that is usable and does not have the issues that bug you)
http://www.graphicsmagick.org/
http://www.ecomstation.it/ecsoft2/prog.php?progid=1969&name=GraphicsMagick&sys=os2+ecomstation&language=en

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2014, 02:27:47 am »
The problem is now that there are some bugs in Image Magick and I need help on this side. I'm using IM as back-end.

I  already asked Paul but he has no time to fix these issues. So my question is: can anybody help out and get some things in Image Magick running? I have no skills in C development and I'm busy enough to work on the GUI and WPS integration.

Sorry I'd forgotten about this. I should have some time over the next few days. Cna you open a ticket at mantis.smedley.id.au describing the issues? That's a much better place than my inbox :)

Fr4nk

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2014, 08:56:06 am »
Thanks guys,

I fed Mantis with the first two bugs. Two other bugs I want to re-check twice before bothering the author - maybe this evening.

I will also have a look at Graphic Magick. I would prefer IM because I think this has been tested more by larger community, there a more examples, scripts and solutions on the web, and if it has different syntax I have to rewrite loads of my program. But of course I'll check it out aswell - thanks for the hint. If it has some special features it could be also part of my tools. One of the goals of Graphic Work Bench is to unite different engines under one hood.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 08:58:26 am by Fr4nk »

Sergey Posokhov

• View Profile
    • OS/2 API Research
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2014, 02:00:38 pm »
About first screenshot: see qPict, an old Mac OS 7 image viewer.

Sergey Posokhov

• View Profile
    • OS/2 API Research
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2014, 02:03:08 pm »
About second screenshot: use two windows, like in PageMaker.

Fr4nk

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2014, 08:28:29 am »
Sergey, thanks for you suggestions.

I want to add some points: GWB will not an Image Editor as you might know it. It will be more a frontend for IM.  The most difficult things are selections, at this state GWB will not support it. And I will focus on things PMView can't do, the goal is not to replace PMView but to add new features.. E.g. I will add despeckle filter, frame handling, better PNG support than in PMView and stuff like this.

At the moment it isn't an image viewer so the image on screenshot 2 is just a preview, a kind of thumbnail where you have a quick preview for changes to speed up things. Because apply filters on high resolution files takes a while and before you change a picture itself you should have a quick preview for better performance. Maybe I add a real image viewer with zoom etc.pp later, and then of course this will be another window. ATM you can use an external image like PMView view together with GWB

About the first screenshot with light table I prefer a standard os2 folder detail view and to compare values eg. the width or high I think the columns are great. This does not mean that I'll not add other view-styles aswell - lets see. Actually I have also some limitations on my development environment, e.g the standard container can only show standard icon sizes (max 40x40) with flowed views like on your screenshots. Only the detail view like on my screenshot #1 allows other (bigger) sizes of thumbnails.

At the moment I'll prefer  a nice GUI integration into WPS, e.g it will work with templates and native and standard os2 controls, and as I said the first things will be some basic features and then things PMView is not able todo. It will support some formats PMView does not support, there will be features like editable EXIF informations, and I plan a new system for meta informations (which I want to do decentralized in small and plain info files). The GWB will also include a Rexx interface to allow users to write own filters, and a small script manager.

As I have not much spare time I will do it step by step and feature by feature I don't want to make any promises.  A first download version with basic things will be available next weeks. Stay tuned.

Anyway this project will be Open Source so anyone is welcome to add more and other styles and features.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 08:30:40 am by Fr4nk »