Author Topic: My lost apps...  (Read 8764 times)

Jean-Yves

• View Profile
    • shimeril.com
My lost apps...
« on: October 09, 2014, 11:44:32 am »
Digging through old backup CDs, I found screenshots of some apps I built for eCS in the early 2000s. Alas, no source code remains and I only have the executable for one of them (also on hobbes)

All apps were built using VisPro Rexx.

Felix/2, a simple file manager. From memory this never got very far beyond basic file operations (copy, move delete)

QLayConfig/2 to manage the QLay Sinclair QL emulator config file (QLay is a DOS based emulator that runs very well under OS/2). The executable is available from hobbes

Admin Tool for Web/2 to manage the Web/2 webserver config files. I'd completely forgotten about this one! :)  I am quite annoyed about losing the source code for this as it seems pretty feature complete but I never got around to uploading it to hobbes (or if I did, I cannot find it there)

Actually, I may have a pop at re-creating the Web/2 admin tool  as a nice little project to re-learn VisPro Rexx

Fr4nk

Re: My lost apps...
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2014, 12:28:52 pm »
It is possible to get the Rexx code back - also if you have only binary files of a Vispro Rexx project.

I never did it but it is possible. I know that Pillarsoft offered this as a service to do for you. If I remember right this works via tracing (not sure, have to re-check) and you could do it your own. Of course you have to re-create your visual forms, but you can grab the underlying code.

good luck! :)

Sergey Posokhov

• View Profile
    • OS/2 API Research
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2014, 01:54:33 pm »
Actually, I may have a pop at re-creating the Web/2 admin tool as a nice little project to re-learn VisPro Rexx
Source code is visible in FC/2... just press F3 or F4.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2014, 02:25:49 pm »
Hi Jean-Yves.

Can I have your permission to include your screenshots and you software description on the OS2World Wiki?

I plan to create three Wiki pages under this page: http://www.os2world.com/wiki/index.php/Jean-Yves_Rouffiac

Regards

Martín
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Jean-Yves

• View Profile
    • shimeril.com
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2014, 08:38:06 pm »
Yes of course. Although only one of the apps now survives as anything but screen shots :(

Thanks everyone for the advice re Rexx re else engineered source code. I had no idea that was possible. Alas though, the admin tool for web/2 and the file manager have no exe either. 

What I'm most upset about is I trashed bunch of old hard dri es only a few weeks ago. The source was probably on one of those...  silly boy!

guzzi

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2014, 10:42:29 pm »
Yes of course. Although only one of the apps now survives as anything but screen shots :(

Thanks everyone for the advice re Rexx re else engineered source code. I had no idea that was possible. Alas though, the admin tool for web/2 and the file manager have no exe either. 

What I'm most upset about is I trashed bunch of old hard dri es only a few weeks ago. The source was probably on one of those...  silly boy!

Ouch! There's nobody else who used the programs you developed who might still have a copy?

Jean-Yves

• View Profile
    • shimeril.com
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2014, 10:41:42 am »
No I don't think so.  Unless I sent dink a copy of the admin tool - but his site is no longer live. And I didn't personally know anyone else who used OS/2 or eCS after I left the banking IT world, so no one to share coding tips with other than online.

However, I have already begun the Admin Tool rewrite as it's a nice self contained project that should be relatively easy to do and a nice break from my day coding (databases, web back ends).

Jean-Yves

• View Profile
    • shimeril.com
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2015, 04:56:15 pm »
To resurrect an old thread....

I'm still around, although I don't have much to contribute so I tend to just lurk/read rather than post.

However, you may be interested in this: I've been doing some slow (very slow) but steady coding in VisPro/Rexx to try to bring at least the Web/2 GUI app back from the void. Based on just the old screenshots, I have a couple of working tabs so far (general and CGI)

Working as in "sort of working with a few hiccups"! :)

Here is a thumbnail of a screen shot of the current development build:

click here for full size

VisPro/Rexx is... challenging. Advanced for its time, but when I compare it to the tools I have nowadays to build apps on other platforms, it can be quite painful to get some stuff done. Oddly, that challenge is what I like about it  ;D

At the current rate of progress, expect a finished product sometime by the end of the decade!!!

Edit: fixed a couple of typos
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 03:55:07 pm by Jean-Yves »