OS/2, eCS & ArcaOS - Technical > Storage

NAS and OS/2?

<< < (4/5) > >>

mwizard:
Any opinions on choice of disks for these systems?

Green drives for saving money?
Black drives for performance?
Red NAS drives for some other reason?

What makes a good drive for a NAS application?

Security:
Does everyone think those NAS enclosures have or maintain good security?  I would think that NAS systems based on a linux distribution would have regular security updates & fixes.  How does that compare/contrast to the NAS enclosures approach?

ivan:
Again speaking from my experience with D-Link NAS boxes.  We have mostly used standard SATA 2TB disks in all our NAS boxes mainly because we got the boxes well before 'special' drives were made available.  It is very much a case of you pay your money for the choice you make.

Regarding security, most of the 'off the shelf' boxes use ARM processors with the operating system being based on Linux and can be setup reasonably secure from the start.  You do have to use common sense when setting them up but since they are usually behind a firewall there isn't much to worry about.  Yes, some people use them to stream torrents which can leave the box open to outside access but then again everything else can, and should, be password protected.  Password can be given to individual users or groups of users to limit exactly what they can access and what they can do with it (read only or read/write).

If the NAS box is onlt available on the local network you have the added security of the modem/router setup, as does the rest of the internal network.  If you want the NAS to be available from the WAN then you need to take more care with how the modem/router is setup and exactly what services you open to the public.

In all the years that we have been using the NAS boxes we have not had one case of them being breached and that is not for the want of trying as our firewall logs show.

Dariusz Piatkowski:

--- Quote from: Mark on February 04, 2015, 02:57:28 pm ---Any opinions on choice of disks for these systems?

Green drives for saving money?
Black drives for performance?
Red NAS drives for some other reason?

What makes a good drive for a NAS application?

--- End quote ---

Great question Mark.

I've got the NSA325 V2 box coming to me...$100 is getting me a brand new one, which I think is a pretty good buy.

As I'm getting ready to stuff some hard-drives into this thing I've been thinking of doing a 2x2T setup, for a total of 4T storage. This should last plenty of time, just a straight forward JBOD setup, no RAID.

I like the WD stuff, have had great luck with their VelociRaptor drives. Bought a BLACK unit for kid's PC and given the on-line tech reviews I'm seeing in general drives with more cache are being recommended for NAS boxes. I've decided to splurge the extra for a 7200 RPM drive.

At the end of the day, it all really depends on how many concurrent clients are hitting the NAS and how much of that is continuous data streaming.

What have you been looking at?

Doug Bissett:

--- Quote ---I'm seeing in general drives with more cache are being recommended for NAS boxes. I've decided to splurge the extra for a 7200 RPM drive.
--- End quote ---

It seems to me, that disk speed (including cache) is a non issue. The 1 Gbps network interface is very much slower than any hard disk, and that will be the limiting factor for speed. It doesn't matter how many clients you use, the limit is still 1 Gbps. All that happens, is that each client slows down since they need to wait their turn for network access. I suppose that a second (third etc.) NIC might speed things up, if you configured the network properly.

FWIW, I built my own NAS box, using an old Asus A8N-SLI motherboard, in an old case (it has a 1 Gbps NVIDIA NIC that works great with the Multimac NVIDIA driver). It is running eCS 2.1 for an OS, with SAMBA, RSYNC, WEB/2, Peter Moylan's FTP server and weasel mail server (including IMAP), and PMVNC for remote control. The most expensive part was a 1 TB Seagate disk to add to what the original system had. The main "problem" is that it is physically pretty big, but that could be solved by using one of those small box computers. In my case, I don't care.

There is no magic in a NAS box. I can use my setup with windows (XP and 7, specifically), and Linux, as well as with eCS (it should work with any system that uses standard TCP/IP software). Linux gets a bit complicated because of the, so called, "security" features, but it can be made to work.

I could, if I wanted to, add a second 1 TB disk drive, then use RSYNC to sync the two. Not quite a RAID setup, but almost as good, for what I would need.

Michaelhz:
Finally! Someone is using os/2 as NAS Server. I run nearly same setup as Doug, samba is running as a PDC, virtual box provides a winXP  terminal-server for this domain, cups provides printing service and mediatomb for video streaming. All in 24/7 operation, very solid.

If I would have some more time, I should mention this in the wiki here...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version