Author Topic: Converting OS/2 docs/manual into PDF format ready for printing purposes  (Read 9722 times)

muffetta

Hi all,
The Italian community of OS/2 users would planning the conversion of most of the manuals in "inf/hlp" format for the development tools available on our platform into printable pdf format, ready for printing purposes by developers, to facilitate their wonderful efforts. We believe it is an excellent initiative, because the classic paper book is always useful and sometimes faster than internet to navigate and it should be always available for a developer.
If the initiative is welcome, we need a list of the main most used toolkit or otherwise most requested.
We will upload all on Hobbes.
Regards
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 05:31:19 pm by Barbara »

Sergey Posokhov

• View Profile
    • OS/2 API Research
Re: Converting OS/2 docs/manual into PDF format ready for printing purposes
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2014, 06:27:36 pm »
We will upload all on Hobbes.
Once time ago, I uploaded INF files from OS/2 Toolkit to Hobbes but admin deleted them as copyrighted material  :)

muffetta

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2014, 06:50:29 pm »
I also considered that, so for quite some material this would not be possible.
Sergey, a list of "what" could be possible to convert and upload?

dbanet

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2014, 08:18:46 pm »
I think obeying the copyright law isn't the only possibility. If PDFs of OS/2 documentation are needed by someone (which is the first thought to be considered: do not do valueless job), they will be welcome even if they are not perfectly legal.

muffetta

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2014, 09:20:16 pm »
Do you think that we should try? Maybe Martin could suggest something. He knows sure more about, talked before with IBM.

muffetta

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2014, 08:47:27 am »
I think obeying the copyright law isn't the only possibility. If PDFs of OS/2 documentation are needed by someone (which is the first thought to be considered: do not do valueless job), they will be welcome even if they are not perfectly legal.
I'm agree with you, Boris, Sergey too, mantain the Russian edition of OS/2 API and inside WdSybil, there is a copy of this book for convenience, but the first words are:
"This Manual describes the interface of the OS/2 API. Information provided hereby is copyrighted by IBM Corporation. No part of this document may be copied, translated, printed or assigned to third parties without the prior written permission of IBM Corporation. This document is licenced from IBM by contract number IBM/SpeedSoft PSP950474."
So, i suppose a license from IBM is necessary.
Regards.