Author Topic: LION  (Read 12584 times)

the5thQ

LION
« on: November 18, 2014, 01:58:28 am »
My Insurance Agent gave up a G3, dual booted to Windows/os 8...since it was a present I thought of ways to hide stuff and use a VM ware type of thing and then a sandbox; but before too long the whole box went Poof! On eBay there are many G4's now being sold for around $300USD/per system which I thought might work as a platform for a WARP4 Server with the OSX Lion version of MAC already factory installed. Has anyone done this-running a stable system? [...but NOT w/Windows like I did before... which became a catastrophe;;;( 8) ]

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
Re: LION
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2014, 03:10:31 am »
Hi Jon, welcome to the forums.

I'm not sure if I complete understand what you want to do. Dual Boot Warp Server 4 on a Power Mac G3, or G4 can not be possible because it uses a PowerPC processor so OS/2 will not boot there.  So I think that running OS/2 Warp on the G3/G4 as Virtual Machine can be possible.  I think that the latest Mac OS X that can run on a G4 is 10.5.8, but I don't know which virtual machine software is available for it.  I think that on a PowerPC processor you will need an x86 emulator like Bochs to run OS/2.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

ak120

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2014, 04:37:44 pm »
Should be no problem with Virtual PC. But which version - it reallly depends on processor and operating system.

the5thQ

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2016, 12:52:01 pm »
I know this is a 'retired' thread but I'n at it again...as I have read posts related to this issue...my latest OS2 quest has been this: trying to find a boot cd that will wipe out all the partitions on my hard drive; I am not using SATA/eSATA, just the old drive from a Dell which I pulled out of the tin worm yard...I put this drive and mobo into a stripped down Aptiva Tower and it all fits, I upgraded the Power Supply using a P4 power block and the rest seemed simple. There are plenty of slots on the mobo for what I intend to do and the early type AGP card works by default and have no video problems at all...the problem is however, I remove all the stuff of the HDD and try installing OS2 V4 from scratch. Mind you this is a fresh out of the box installation, nothing used, not even the floppies. Install goes well until I reboot and then I get the OS2 info mssg. blinking on the screen and everything stops, NO OS on the drive. So I assume that I need to remove all partitions and start a raw install without traces of NT -ntfs or 'mac' file system. I have totally given up on using a virtual machine from windows or mac into an OS/2 operating system shell so now I would need just the Warp4 to run anew...anyone out there who can recommend a fresh install/ preboot manager so I can get the right operating system partition addressable by the OS Warp4 installer> cornfused yet:? I am. :) :)

Per E. Johannessen

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2016, 01:58:22 pm »
Have a look at http://www.dfsee.com/

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2016, 03:02:44 pm »
Jon, if you are trying to use the original Warp 4 CD you need to update the install floppies and put copyfromfloppy=1 at the end of the config.sys on those floppies.

You also need to do the advanced install because this allows you to clear the hard disk and setup partitions and format them.

Somewhere in the office storage array I have the images for the updated install disks as well as an iso of a boot CD we made. As far as I know the updated install floppy images are still out there on the net but I can't say where off the top of my head at the moment.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2016, 05:09:54 am »
Updated install diskettes are/were hosted at Lenovo for Thinkpads though they worked for most systems. Search for  warp4iu1.EXE  and  warp4iu2.EXE.

the5thQ

Re: LION Yet AGAINnnnnnn.....
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2016, 07:54:52 pm »
Thank YOU ALL for this great response...as far as warp4iu1.EXE-I will try to work on this idea...my diskettes are straight out of the box, I will copy same and try altering the .cfg file and I will keep everyone updated on progress if I do the fix....So many MUCHO THANKS to YOU ALL AGAIN!#! 8) I tried this again and got nowhere as far as hidden partitions running OSes other than MAC 10...the references ya'll made to DFC were outstanding the first time around in building the machine with OS2 Warp 4 server accessible from the LION Machine using some work a-rounds...I just downloaded this:  Update  DFSee version: 15.2, build date: 2018-07-17 (Packaged: 2018-07-17 21:56:50)...as my update for moving forward...I checked the download as an accessible file in Windows 8.1 as a start for making the file dfsee_os2_wpi more useable from a source file to other machines that are non-windows. I found something strange as far as accessibilities in the downloaded dfsee updated file.....I checked the properties of this download and found that under "Security" there is regular admin acct and current user account access to the file in question, which I just now downloaded the update of, BUT I see there's also access to this file by an "Account Unknown (S 1 5 21 22..._)" in the Security Tab ...I have not transfered the download to a DVD yet, so have not tried to use it in building my new virtual machine. I was jsut wondering since I denied access to all the Permissions by this rougue acct. user ie the "Account Unknkown...", will this effect its use once I transfer it?  Again many thanks for directing me to DFC...it has made my life much better, though not always easier...thank GOD though for a version of this that is active for OS2! Is there any way that this rougue acct is just a back door or? One way to protect your data from malware and ransomware is to stash copies of it into a partition that is either hidden or has no active Permissions carried with it, but having someone else create a user acct. that is unknown to the ADMIN or other user accounts is a startegy that implies that someone could just take all of your data and stash it there for their use...oh well that not salt life thats computer life online I guess? So sorry this is such a long post.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 03:54:37 am by JON »