Author Topic: New hardware that works with ECS2.X  (Read 24944 times)

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
Re: New hardware that works with ECS2.X
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2013, 07:00:07 pm »
rtgnda13.zip
Do a search on the internet before trying it. Years ago I installed my system with it and got sporadic traps. Took me months till I found out it was this driver. After that others told me this driver is known to sporadically trap systems. Maybe it was Eugene so probably there are some traces about ecomstation.ru...

It seems that I don't have much choice. Nothing else (both Multimac versions, Genmac with various win drivers) will do anything more than get the IP address from my router, then the system hangs shortly after trying to use the network. RTGNDA will transfer about 40 GB, before having a problem. The bad part about that is, that when it does have the problem, the NIC won't even work in windows, until I pull the plug for about 20 minutes (apparently, the NIC will stay powered until AC goes away). I suspect that it is overheating, but I can't prove that. Anyway, once I get my stuff transferred to the machine, I won't need such large data transfers. Hopefully, it can be fixed in Multimac, but I will need to report the problem (actually add to an existing problem report). FWIW, I found a Google hit that indicated that Suse Linux has (had?) the same problem as Multimac, but Ubuntu Linux does not.

BigGoofyGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2013, 05:21:13 pm »
http://www.ecomstation.com/edp/mod.php?mod=faq&op=show_answer&faq_id=137
It shows the hardware requirments for eCS. How upto date are these?

It indicates a PS2 mouse for best performance? How many computers even have a PS2 connector on them?  8)
BigGoofyGuy

jdeb

« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2013, 05:59:36 pm »
http://www.ecomstation.com/edp/mod.php?mod=faq&op=show_answer&faq_id=137
It shows the hardware requirments for eCS. How upto date are these?

It indicates a PS2 mouse for best performance? How many computers even have a PS2 connector on them?  8)

That is a requirement page and it is pretty dated. However, I have tried it on older hardware close to the minimum and was accurate. However, you may want to look at ecomstation.ru hardware list if your planning on buying more current hardware or to compare to what you have. You could also post your current hardware and we should be able to give you direction. I have used both the PS/2 and USB mice and have not noticed any difference, that has been my experience. I have read where there were issues but the updated USB driver corrected them.

I am currently building a budget box for a home user and will be trying eCS2.1 on it. It is an MSI 880GMS - E41 AM3+, Phenom X2 550 Dual Core, and 4GB of RAM. I will post the results on that link. I try to install it on as much hardware as I can (I build a lot of PC's), if time allows to update the web site with more current hardware. Blonde Guy (Neil) has some good hardware as well, you could buy from him or use it as a comparison. His Suntan Special Software is pretty slick as well for keeping the system updated. 

http://en.ecomstation.ru/hardware.php
http://www.blondeguy.com/

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Update: The MSI board installed fine with eCS2.1. Updated to the latest ACPI and both CPU cores are active. The Realtek multimac 8169 driver did not seem to work, probably have to try some different MAC configurations. Not going to bother as I would normally just add an Intel PCI NIC card anyway because of the speed of them. The onboard NIC is a Realtek 8111E. All USB ports functioning. USB (standard Logitech) mouse is accurate and stable. Going to try the eCS 2.2 Beta tonight. Latest Panorama driver or Snap not giving me the default 20" monitor resolution 1600 x 1050 but provides a nice desktop display at a little higher resolution. Audio Realtek ALC887 works fine. Put info on ecomstation.ru.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 05:10:36 pm by jdeb »