Author Topic: Always clean your....  (Read 10445 times)

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
Always clean your....
« on: December 02, 2014, 09:02:02 pm »
Hi

I just remembered at WarpStock that someone adviced "Remember to always clean your...." and I don't remember if he was saying "INI's" or "WPS objects", since I got busy at that point with the camera.

So, I want to ask to the general public, which tools and procedure do you use about this (cleaning INIs or WPS)? How often is recommended to do this procedure?

Regards

Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
Re: Always clean your....
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2014, 09:49:42 pm »
I expect that it was "INIs". I use CLEANINI, and FPOS, most of the time (about every other week, but that may depend on how many files you look at, using the WPS). I use this as CLEANIT.CMD:
Code: [Select]
@ECHO OFF
W:
CD \UTILITY\CLEANINI55
If exist CleanINI.LOG DEL CleanINI.LOG
Cleanini /c /multipass /Restart /remote:delete
pause
W:\Utility\fpos080\FPOS.EXE

The programs are on the W: drive, in the directories as shown. You would need to change that to match your system.

I got CLEANINI from: http://home.t-online.de/home/C.Arnold/download/cleanini55.zip and FPOS from: http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/download/pub/os2/util/wps/fpos080.zip.

I also run CHECKINI /C about once per year. Do it multiple times, until it no longer asks for a restart.

For FPOS, I sort by path, then select everything including the root of the DESKTOP (You can select the DESKTOP sub directories but I suggest not doing that), then I do File-> Save now, and agree to let it do it. I suggest a reboot after that, for two reasons: One is to get the changes saved, and the other is to be sure that it will still boot (did I mention do a BACKUP first?). Then, I usually do another boot, to do a desktop archive.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2014, 11:10:35 pm »
DMT which is installed by eCS2.1+ and run during boot also helps quite a bit in keeping cruft out of the ini files. I do find that it occasionally locks up here when running, probably a timing issue.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2014, 04:42:23 am »
DMT which is installed by eCS2.1+ and run during boot also helps quite a bit in keeping cruft out of the ini files. I do find that it occasionally locks up here when running, probably a timing issue.

DMT definitely helps, but it is not a complete answer (I think DMT could be a lot more aggressive, but I am not an expert).

I haven't had it lock up, although that may be happening on one of my little used boot systems now. It stops booting at DMT, and I haven't had the time to sort it out, yet.

One thing that DMT does do, is confuse CLEANINI. If CLEANINI only prints a few lines, and stops, close CLEANINI, create something on the desktop, delete whatever it is, then, CLEANINI will do it's thing.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2014, 06:33:30 pm »
Thanks for the tips
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.