Author Topic: Yum update went wrong  (Read 12283 times)

guzzi

• View Profile
Yum update went wrong
« on: January 04, 2015, 01:57:07 am »
Hi,
Today I ran yum update. The packages to be updated were rpm ones and the update went wrong.
See http://trac.netlabs.org/rpm/ticket/102#ticket for details.
Has anyone else experienced this?
In any case, better wait with updating the RPM packages until it has been determined what the cause of the failure is.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
Re: Yum update went wrong
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2015, 02:33:29 am »
Probably the bad urpo package. Go to http://rpm.netlabs.org/release/00/zip/ and download urpo-20150101-9_oc00.zip and unzip it over your @unixroot replacing the files. Then do a yum update again to keep everything in sync.
At least that was the advice I saw for someone else :)

guzzi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2015, 02:40:45 am »
Thanks Dave, that did the trick. I wish however that this person had created a ticket so the package could have been updated....

guzzi

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2015, 02:47:04 am »
Had to unlock urpo.dll to overwrite it and rebooted before running yum update again. The funny files with funny names like _rpm.dll;54a889d6 and urpo.dll;54a881c9 have been cleared by yum/rpm as well.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2015, 06:42:53 am »
I wish however that this person had created a ticket so the package could have been updated....

I know who reported it. I am pretty sure that he was told to simply replace URPO.DLL without bothering to open a ticket (apparently they already knew that it was screwed up). Unfortunately, it was a case where YUM screwed something up, which required manual intervention to fix it. How a normal user is supposed to figure that out, is beyond me. You will also never know that you have a problem, unless you happen to see the error messages go by.

The funny files with funny names like _rpm.dll;54a889d6 and urpo.dll;54a881c9 have been cleared by yum/rpm as well.

They didn't get cleared, for me. I had to erase them. If you had checked, those were the updated files, that were supposed to replace the files that didn't update properly. The failure occurred when the files didn't get replaced properly. I don't know if that was a program flaw, or a problem with the update package. In either case, I am not impressed with the Quality Control (or lack of it) of YUM.

Also note, that if you try to do something with the files that have a semi-colon in the name, using 4OS2, it doesn't work properly. The normal command processor doesn't seem to mind.

Andi B.

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2015, 12:09:19 pm »
Also note, that if you try to do something with the files that have a semi-colon in the name, using 4OS2, it doesn't work properly. The normal command processor doesn't seem to mind.

Properly worth to open a ticket at http://trac.netlabs.org/4os2 with a simple testcase.

guzzi

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2015, 03:43:59 pm »
I wish however that this person had created a ticket so the package could have been updated....

I know who reported it. I am pretty sure that he was told to simply replace URPO.DLL without bothering to open a ticket (apparently they already knew that it was screwed up). Unfortunately, it was a case where YUM screwed something up, which required manual intervention to fix it. How a normal user is supposed to figure that out, is beyond me. You will also never know that you have a problem, unless you happen to see the error messages go by.

There already was a ticket. I didn' see it because it was already closed and I didn't use the search function. Yum runs in a command window, so you do actually get the error messages on screen, hard to miss.

The funny files with funny names like _rpm.dll;54a889d6 and urpo.dll;54a881c9 have been cleared by yum/rpm as well.

They didn't get cleared, for me. I had to erase them. If you had checked, those were the updated files, that were supposed to replace the files that didn't update properly. The failure occurred when the files didn't get replaced properly. I don't know if that was a program flaw, or a problem with the update package. In either case, I am not impressed with the Quality Control (or lack of it) of YUM.

They did look like the updated files, however I couldn't check because both yum and rpm didn't function, so I couldn't list what was in the package... The problem was that the files weren't properly unlocked because the previous version of urpo was broken. As for quality control, this was the second time something went wrong for me with yum/rpm and I have used it from almost the start. Can happen. Afak Yuri is the main or only developer and he is also busy with openoffice. Doesn't help when people like me open duplicate tickets either)

I don't use 4OS2.

Daniel

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2015, 07:03:22 am »
As usual with 4os2, it's not a bug it's a feature. From the 4os2 help file:

----
You can also use the square bracket wildcard syntax to work around a conflict between long filenames containing semicolons [;], and the use of a semicolon to indicate an include list. For example, if you have a file on an HPFS drive named C:\DATA\LETTER1;V2 and you enter this command:

[c:\] del \data\letter1;v2

you will not get the results you expect. Instead of deleting the named file, 4OS2 will attempt to delete LETTER1 and then V2, because the semicolon indicates an include list. However if you use square brackets around the semicolon it will be interpreted as a filename character, and not as an include list separator. For example, this command would delete the file named above:

[c:\] del \data\letter1[;]v2
----

Or, as mentioned, you could just use CMD.EXE

This is why it is best to have CMD.EXE as the default command processor in your CONFIG.SYS and then add a button to eCenter for 4os2. Install programs and such will then work in an environment they expect and YOU get to use all those nice extras in 4os2.

Lewis Rosenthal

• View Profile
    • Tales from the Trenches of IT
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2015, 07:14:49 pm »
Hi, guys...

Properly worth to open a ticket at http://trac.netlabs.org/4os2 with a simple testcase.

Done, and associated with Ticket #18 in the report: http://trac.netlabs.org/4os2/ticket/29

Cheers
Lewis
-------------------------------------------------------------
Lewis G Rosenthal, CNA, CLP, CLE, CWTS
Managing Member
Arca Noae, LLC                               www.arcanoae.com