Public Discussions > General Discussion

Hybrid "64-Bit" eComStation

<< < (2/3) > >>

Andy Willis:
Froloff (nick on netlabs IRC) had written a device driver to use more memory.  I don't see a need here for more than 3G of memory, I run out of shared memory long before I start to use my RAM up but if the additional memory (such as a W510 here with 16G) could use the rest for a RAM drive would be handy for doing builds (a 13G RAM drive would be really nice).  If there were a way to increase shared memory would be really useful but I think exponentially more work.
Andy

Roderick Klein:
Or you can see if the DLL's can be loaded into high memory instead of trying to increase the shared memory of OS/2.
Thats what we are currently experimenting on and analyzing with memory dumps why this fail.

Regards,

Roderick Klein
Mensys B.V.

conradc1234:
Just out of curiousity - was there a 64bit version of eComStation very early on in the development cycle? I have a cd here labelled as such but it  won't boot (quite old at this stage)....
Thanks,
Conrad.

ivan:
Conrad, I think you will find that was for the IBM PowerPC - a very rare thing indeed.

Roderick Klein:

--- Quote from: Daniel Caetano on February 18, 2013, 01:23:52 pm ---Hi there.
Yesterday I was thinking about 64 bits and eComStation. The biggest limitation eComStation has when working on 64 bit systems is the 4GiB barrier. I know it is not a simple limit to overcome, but I have been thinking of some measures to allow the use of extra memory, although it will be a limited one.
Several users are running eComStation inside a virtual machine and are ok with most of its limitations. On the other hand, I think running an OS inside another full blown OS is somewhat annoying for daily use (one have to cope with problems and annoyances of both OSs). This way, I was thinking if it is not possible to make one of those "OS/2 5.0" projects, like OS Free, make its kernel 64 bits and configure its environment to support 32 bit systems (virtualization with almost full access to guest OS) and run eComStation inside of it. What is the point of doing that?
Well, at first, this will enable the underlying OS (OS Free, for instance) to access the entire memory. The memory unnused by eComStation could be used as a virtual drive (emulation), which could be used as a normal harddisk by eComStation. This virtual drive space could be used in two main ways:

a) Store swapper.dat
b) Store temporary application files (like the "undo" files of Ceres Sound Studio!)

This would provide a usefull extra memory space. I know it is not the same and the lower and upper shared/private arena problems would remain the same, but at least some things could use it. At least, AFAIK, swapped data is not limited to 4GiB (Virtual Address Space should go up to 64TiB).
Would that be possible (considering the available community/serenity resources)?

Regards,
Daniel Caetano

PS: As an extra, this approach would provide a use for these "new OS/2 kernel projects", allowing them to improve faster. In time, some original OS/2 services could be moved to the new kernel and privileges could be removed from the guest OS... allowing a slow transition between systems.

--- End quote ---

The real thing that will give it more breathing space s that we are working on fixing the loading of DLL's into high memory.
But thats not finished currently. Still in R&D stages.

Roderick Klein
Mensys B.V.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version