Author Topic: Graphical package management utility (Arca Noae)  (Read 17844 times)

Lewis Rosenthal

• View Profile
    • Tales from the Trenches of IT
Re: Graphical package management utility (Arca Noae)
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2015, 04:59:11 pm »
I was going to post some screenshots here yesterday, but couldn't figure out how to do that (yes, I should know by now, but I didn't have the time to jog my memory).

I'll post some on the Arca Noae blog later today, and will provide a link.

Yes, the goal is to provide a unified update utility which can provide access to multiple update channels (Netlabs release, Netlabs experimental, Arca Noae subscription, and various collections of WarpIn archives), completely configurable and extensible (add another channel to the configuration).

Concerning standardized WPS object locations, this would fall under the purview of another application to "clean up" the desktop clutter. I doubt that most OS/2 users would want this, as we're pretty much set in our ways, at this point. Configuring new systems for clients, I pretty much have a set pattern in my head, but these systems don't include a lot (decades) of extra apps and such. In any case, desktop organization is not the responsibility of the package manager, but the responsibility of the packager to direct where his files are to be stored, what objects to create, and where they should be created.

I get frustrated on some of my Linux distributions that something will install and I will expect desktop objects to have been created. The lack of standardization on a desktop interface itself (on Linux) often makes this difficult. OpenOffice on SuSE is one such issue, where the KDE desktop integration package is considerably dated (no kidding), and the current recommendation for those of us preferring KDE is to use the FreeDesktop integrations.

Martin: The Arca Noae repository will be a closed one, but either Netlabs or Rosenthal & Rosenthal might be willing to host third-party repos (it's not difficult to set up a yum repository). Building RPMs can be tedious, particularly when building from scratch. WarpIn is actually much easier, IMO. That said, updating an existing RPM is fairly straightforward, and can be scripted quite easily, so maintaining packages is easier.  ;)
Lewis
-------------------------------------------------------------
Lewis G Rosenthal, CNA, CLP, CLE, CWTS
Managing Member
Arca Noae, LLC                               www.arcanoae.com

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2015, 05:20:34 pm »
I was going to post some screenshots here yesterday, but couldn't figure out how to do that ...
You can add the screenshot as a attachment using the "Attachments and other options" area at the bottom the "text box".

Martin: The Arca Noae repository will be a closed one, but either Netlabs or Rosenthal & Rosenthal might be willing to host third-party repos...

That is no problem. Having a community based repository will be nice, but it will depend if there are people interested on packaging the software as RPM on the first place.

Regards
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 03:33:08 pm by Martin Iturbide »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2015, 06:21:37 pm »
There is also the option of doing a local install, eg yum localinstall new_package.rpm