Author Topic: OpenOffice 4.1.1 GA - pre-requisite uninstall?  (Read 38548 times)

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
OpenOffice 4.1.1 GA - pre-requisite uninstall?
« on: January 08, 2015, 03:08:04 am »
Now that GA is available and since I did not see a mention of this anywhere yet (nor have I attempted the install myself either) should I completely un-install my current OO 3.2 first?

I remember having a hard time getting the WPS Integration part (was a separate WPI package), do I still need this with 4.1.1 GA, or has this been removed?

In other words, I'm trying to get some clarify on whether this is a complete un-install/re-install, or whether there is some built-in "upgrade" type functionality in the 4.1.1 GA WPI...

Thanks!

Pete

• View Profile
Re: OpenOffice 4.1.1 GA - pre-requisite uninstall?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2015, 08:35:54 am »
Hi Dariusz

The Installation notes (readme) displayed during Warpin install states:-

** Warning **
Do not install this version over an existing installation.

I suggest making a backup of your existing OO installation then delete the existing installation - if the existing installation was a Warpin package use Warpin to uninstall it.

Finally give the AOO4 install a go  :-)

Regards

Pete

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2015, 01:22:41 pm »
Hi Dariusz,

I installed it last night on our test machine with all the other versions of AOO installed.  It installs to its own directory but does use the Home dir for config files but even there it creates its own directory.

As Pete says, backup what you have then just install as normal - you can always cancel the install if it appears to go where you don't want it.

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2015, 02:56:18 pm »
Pete and ivan,

Thanks guys. Following my post, and being impatient to try the new release out  :P I did at least start WarpIn thinking as Pete highlighted that probably the included README would have some info.

You are right, it does recommend an un-install first, but later on in the document it talks about this version being OK to install along with other versions...and it appears that the WPS Integration it will attempt to use is the previously installed version, so in this respect one should NOT un-install that part. Certainly there do not appear to be any new Integration release pacakges to replace the old ones.

Anyways, best to start off with a clean install....I'll take the approach of removing the application part of OO 3.x but not the WPS Integration and go from there. Will post later on a status update on how the install went along...

Alex Taylor

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2015, 03:57:43 pm »
It's fine to install it alongside 3.x. 

As I read it, "Do not install this version over an existing installation" means exactly that: don't install it OVER TOP OF (i.e. into the same directory as) another version.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2015, 05:34:14 pm »
I installed it in a new directory, and both versions work. AOO4 works well, for what I have tried so far (just about everything that I used 3.2 for). I have a feeling that OO 3.2 will not last long, on my machines.   :)

FWIW, I used AOO-4110-GA-rpm.wpi to get the stuff that would otherwise require RPM/YUM, or a lot of messing around. From what I see, YUM does not, yet have the required support available, but that may be a user problem (I still HATE RPM/YUM). DO NOT use both methods to get the required support.

I did not interpret the README as saying to uninstall the old version first, UNLESS you have been using a pre-release of AOO4, which should be uninstalled.

Well done, and thanks to those who did it.

mickhead

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2015, 01:05:18 am »
GA 4 goes well on my tested items. I did it install along 3.2, yet am pleased enough with 4 to have removed 3.2.

Well done on GA 4!

David McKenna

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2015, 11:33:52 pm »
 Anybody got Java to work with it? Here if I go to Tools-> Options -> OpenOffice-> Java my computer hangs and I have to reboot. The README implies it might work, but then says everything that requires Java will not work, so it is confusing. I was able to get Java to work with the first beta....

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2015, 12:57:00 am »
I installed from the WPI, with YUM getting all the required libraries.

AOO 4.1 is running fine.

In order to get WPS integration, I uninstalled only the OOoWPS and OOsWPSWizard using WarpIN, then let the AOO 4.1 WPI reinstall those parts. My WPS appears to be integrated correctly.

I still have not figured out the Java integration.
Expert consulting for ArcaOS, OS/2 and eComStation
http://www.blondeguy.com

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2015, 04:03:35 am »
While the initial installation seems to work okay, I am running into a couple of problems (which I have not tried to analyze, yet).

Printing seems to be broken to CUPS 1.4.8. Other programs (including OO3.2) seem to print okay.

Opening Text Document, and attempting to go to Tools-> Options causes an error popup. This seems to be okay in Spreadsheet.

Anybody else see these, or do I need to look at my local system?

TeLLie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2015, 09:46:27 am »
Hi Doug

Printing is working here, i also use cups 1.48
Also opening Text Document, and attempting to go to Tools works for me.

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2015, 03:35:46 pm »
OK, install done...went pretty smooth, but there are some points to note that were a bit confusing:

1) I pulled the pre-req DLL package (AOO-4110-GA-rpm.wpi), extracted the DLLs and tossed them into my \usr\dll location (where I keep these), backed up the previous versions as some of the OO DLLs were different from what otherwise was the latest publically available release out there

2) rebooted, ran checkini, general clean-up type stuff, old OO3.2 is now gone

3) left my WPS Integration pieces in place

4) ran the main install (AOO-4110-GA-base-en-US.wpi), WarpIn now shows 3 separate packages: Associations, Base, RPMdlls (this left me scratching my head since it's a separate pre-req package that I manually installed prior to the main install, see Step#1 above), now I basically have duplicates of all these DLLs, so maybe the main install grabbed the DLL WPI and installed at the same time???

5) enabled the DLL high-mem load for CODE only (14.106 krnl here, ACPI 3.22.06), this of course only impacts the program directory DLLs and leaves out non-highmem loading copies I tossed elsewhere in my system, now I have 2 versions potentially leading to problems

6) re-booted

Sooo...results are: smooth...very nice...however, attempting to open a sample Lotus 123 spreadsheet resulted in a hard error, due to what appeared to be a missing or un-known Lotus 123 format...hmmm???

Following this error all other attempts to open any OO applications just resulted in a hard error (pop-up box). They were all pointing to the icudt42.dll, this was one of the duplicates pre-req DLLs, so I decided to remove the highmem load...a reboot is required though since OO is now crashing in other DLLs...

Long write-up, but I wanted to be pretty specific in my deployment. What sort of results are people seeing with the highmem option?

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2015, 06:06:17 pm »
1) I pulled the pre-req DLL package (AOO-4110-GA-rpm.wpi), extracted the DLLs and tossed them into my \usr\dll location (where I keep these)

That was your first mistake. Either do it with RPM/YUM, or let WarpIn do it. You likely have duplicate DLLs, at different levels.

2) rebooted, ran checkini, general clean-up type stuff, old OO3.2 is now gone

I didn't do that, and it is possible that that is what is causing part of my problems. I hope to get around to cleaning that up, today.

3) left my WPS Integration pieces in place

Uhmmm. Why? AOO4 has it's own (which may be the same program), which doesn't replace the old ones anyway. Of course., since you uninstalled the old OO3.2, the old ones probably point nowhere.

Associations, Base, RPMdlls (this left me scratching my head since it's a separate pre-req package that I manually installed prior to the main install, see Step#1 above), now I basically have duplicates of all these DLLs,

You should have either removed the RPM package from the same directory that the installer was in, or, you should have deselected it. WarpIn has no good way to know that you installed that stuff in a different, undocumented, and I will also say "incorrect", way. Now you definitely have a mess to clean up, although simply using WarpIn to uninstall the RPM package will probably fix the problem. You are now exposed to the problem of which DLL gets loaded first, and that can cause the problem where "sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't".

5) enabled the DLL high-mem load for CODE only

Ah!, but since you have duplicate DLLs, which ones got modified? I suspect that it is only the ones that got installed by WarpIn, but it could be just the first ones that it found, depending on how it looks for them (don't forget about the ".;" entry in LibPath). I gave loading high a quick try, and it crashed, but I think the problem is caused by stray DLLs that don't match. At least there is an easy backout. My plan now, is to clean up the DLL mess, get it working without loading high, then try it again.

I am pretty sure that I am seeing much the same problems, since I already had some of those DLLs installed in other ways (in \eCS\DLL). The RPM WPI package also installs some system DLLs in the AOO4 directory structure (z.dll, for sure), creating the duplicate DLL problem. This could affect other programs too.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2015, 03:38:46 am »
Opening Text Document, and attempting to go to Tools-> Options causes an error popup. This seems to be okay in Spreadsheet.

Okay, I uninstalled everything to do with OpenOffice 3.2, and 4.1 (including removing everything in the %HOME% directory). That seems to have worked okay. I then cleaned the INI files, and rebooted. Note that I had to close Firefox, because it had locked onto one of the font files, and wouldn't let go (I am not sure how FF even found it).

Next, I extracted the contents of the AOO4-RPM file. As I suspected, a number of those things were already in \eCS\DLL, and the AOO4 installer put them all into the AOO4 Program directory, causing duplicates. I did not take the time to check versions. I simply copied all of the DLLs into \eCS\DLL, overwriting whatever was already there (I should have been able to redirect the AOO4-RPM package to install in that directory, but I haven't tried that yet). The installer should automatically select either \eCS\DLL, or \OS2\DLL, depending on what version of OS/2 you have, but it doesn't do that. I am also not too sure what would happen if I tried to set it to use high memory (and I won't try that until I try it on a test machine).

So far, that seems to have fixed the Tools-> Options problems. I still can't print, but that seems to be something in CUPS, when using an HP printer. Other things print okay. I can create a PDF file, with AOO4, and print that using PDFView, so I am not entirely stuck.

I am not so sure that I would call AOO4 a "GA", as it is, but it is definitely a good "Release Candidate". I suspect that time, and money, ran out, so it is a "GA". Overall, it looks pretty good.

guzzi

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2015, 04:13:28 am »

Okay, I uninstalled everything to do with OpenOffice 3.2, and 4.1 (including removing everything in the %HOME% directory). That seems to have worked okay. I then cleaned the INI files, and rebooted. Note that I had to close Firefox, because it had locked onto one of the font files, and wouldn't let go (I am not sure how FF even found it).

Next, I extracted the contents of the AOO4-RPM file. As I suspected, a number of those things were already in \eCS\DLL, and the AOO4 installer put them all into the AOO4 Program directory, causing duplicates. I did not take the time to check versions. I simply copied all of the DLLs into \eCS\DLL, overwriting whatever was already there (I should have been able to redirect the AOO4-RPM package to install in that directory, but I haven't tried that yet). The installer should automatically select either \eCS\DLL, or \OS2\DLL, depending on what version of OS/2 you have, but it doesn't do that. I am also not too sure what would happen if I tried to set it to use high memory (and I won't try that until I try it on a test machine).

So far, that seems to have fixed the Tools-> Options problems. I still can't print, but that seems to be something in CUPS, when using an HP printer. Other things print okay. I can create a PDF file, with AOO4, and print that using PDFView, so I am not entirely stuck.

I am not so sure that I would call AOO4 a "GA", as it is, but it is definitely a good "Release Candidate". I suspect that time, and money, ran out, so it is a "GA". Overall, it looks pretty good.

Why wouldn't you call it GA? Because of 2 problems you are seeing? One of those is caused by your choice not to use rpm. If you don't use what is by now a de facto standard used by several developers (and of course you are entirely free to make that choice) you can expect you'll have to deal with the consequences yourself, i.e juggle with dll's. So far I haven't seen anyone else mentioning printing problems, so I suspect that has nothing to do with OO but is a problem either in your cups install or with your printer object. Based on what you wrote I see no reason at all to make the assumption that time and money ran out. That  statement even is rather offensive  towards the developer, especially  because it seems to be based on, well, nothing.