Author Topic: OpenOffice 4.1.1 GA - pre-requisite uninstall?  (Read 38538 times)

mwizard

Re: OpenOffice 4.1.1 GA - pre-requisite uninstall?
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2015, 12:48:55 am »
Ivan,

It was a bit more difficult as you might imagine.  It seems that 3.2 & 4.1.1 all say the same thing, "Base" "Text Document" "Base" "Impress", etc.

So I got the idea of opening the AOO 4.1.1 folder and renaming each of the program appending a 4.1.1 text value to them.   After that change, using AssocEdit works a bit better because I can see the differences... "Text Document" & "Text Document 4.1.1" allowing me to differentiate between each and select the default.  But looking at the open menu (Open as...) does show the 4.1.1 as the top element and the default selection.

It doesn't take affect without a reboot.  I'll reboot and see if it picks up the changes.

A reboot doesn't change WPS action.  I can see that the 4.1.1 is selected as default from the open menu, but I have to select it specifically or it will open in 3.2 by default.  I had hoped this would work better than it did.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 12:57:26 am by Mark »

BentBit

« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2015, 11:08:16 am »
Leo, do you mean uninstall 3.2  as opposed to 2.0?  I'm not sure I'm ready to uninstall 3.2 just yet.  I hope it never happens, but if I try to open a document I created with 3.2 and it doesn't open with 4.x, I'd like to keep the 3.2 around to edit that document.  Sounds unlikely, but I've  been bitten before by other applications.  If I have to, I'll edit every one of my existing documents in 4.x to make me feel more comfortable and then I'll be much more likely to uninstall 3.2.

-Mark

Mark,

I do not mean to uninstall any openoffice version. I meant to uninstall OOoWPS103.wpi and afterwards reinstall that package while you point for ooowps.dll to your directory where the programs (such as soffice.exe) and dll's are placed.

OOoWPS103.wpi only takes care of the WPS associations.

Greetings, Leo

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2015, 11:49:46 am »
Mark,

You should remove the associations for 3.2 first and then make them for 4.1.1.

If you have both you will get what you are seeing - the need to select which one you want to use.

mwizard

« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2015, 02:58:40 pm »
Leo,

I have OpenOffice  in Warpin lines that show 3.2, 1.02, & 1.03.  They do not appear different other than the version number.  The 1.03 is obvious enough.  But what about 1.02.  Was that installed as part of 1.03 or would you suspect that we had a mysterious version of OOoWPS102.wpi that I installed first, then installed OOoWPS103.wpi later leaving the first one installed?

In essence, I have a 1.02 version line for OpenOffice in Warpin that is a mystery to me.  Anyone who has a clue about this and could shed some light would make me feed more comfortable about it.

Unless I hear otherwise, I'm inclined to think that there was a OOoWPS102.wpi that I installed, and I can safely remove it along with OOoWPS103.wpi.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2015, 05:02:10 pm »
Leo,

I have OpenOffice  in Warpin lines that show 3.2, 1.02, & 1.03.  They do not appear different other than the version number.  The 1.03 is obvious enough.  But what about 1.02.  Was that installed as part of 1.03 or would you suspect that we had a mysterious version of OOoWPS102.wpi that I installed first, then installed OOoWPS103.wpi later leaving the first one installed?

In essence, I have a 1.02 version line for OpenOffice in Warpin that is a mystery to me.  Anyone who has a clue about this and could shed some light would make me feed more comfortable about it.

Unless I hear otherwise, I'm inclined to think that there was a OOoWPS102.wpi that I installed, and I can safely remove it along with OOoWPS103.wpi.

I don't remember using those old versions, but from what you say, I am inclined to think that they were not packaged properly for WarpIn (using different package names), so they did not update the WarpIn database properly, when you installed them. In fact, that is the only reason why you can install AOO4.1 along side of OO3.2, so it is not necessarily a packaging error, but the user needs to realize that they are managed by WarpIn as two, completely unrelated, packages. That also requires that the program is installed in a different place, and not over the other package. (GENMAC 2.0 and 2.1 also have the package name mismatch).

The other possibility is that you were told to uninstall the older version, and did not use WarpIn to do that. Sometimes, that is necessary to remove older directory structures, and WarpIn database entries.

The easy fix is to open WarpIn, find the package that you know is not installed, RMB on it, and delete the database entry. If you do have a package installed, that you no longer want, uninstall it, but you probably don't need to do that, since version 4.1 can exist along side of the old one (as long as you don't try to install over it).

Associations work in an odd way. The LAST association that you create goes to the end of the list. RMB on the object icon (a data file), then click the arrow beside the Open As line. It will show you the default, with an asterisk (*) beside it (sometimes, there is no default). If that is not the program that you want, you need to remove that association, and the next one will move up. If you still want to have that association available, but not default, put it back, and it will go to the end of the list. You can use the Assoedit program, or you can use Properties-> Association  in the program icons. It seems that there are a few inconsistencies in that part of the WPS, so some experimenting may be required to get it right.

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
Re: OpenOffice 4.1.1 GA - install does not mark DLLs to load high
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2015, 05:56:13 pm »
The installer does not mark DLLs to load high. I unzipped highmem.exe to do the deed. In the program directory I used

Code: [Select]
highmem -b *.DLL
to mark both code and data high. When I exit from OpenOffice, the computer sometimes the mouse stops moving and the computer is unresponsive to remote control. Is there a safer way to use high memory? Is there a way to revert after marking high or mark "low"?
Expert consulting for ArcaOS, OS/2 and eComStation
http://www.blondeguy.com

David McKenna

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2015, 06:22:54 pm »
Neil,

In your OpenOffice folder there should be an 'Extras' folder that has a couple of scripts for setting the dll's high and low. You can also manually use highmem -u *.dll to 'unmark' the dll's from loading high. My understanding is that only code should be loaded high (highmem -c *.dll). It has worked well here so far.

mwizard

« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2015, 01:38:40 am »
I've uninstalled OOoWPS 1.0.3 from the system.  I rebooted.  Then reinstalled the package.  I rebooted.  The reinstall only asked for the install directories for the OOoWPS  other wizard product installed along side.  No where did is ask where AOO was installed.

AssocEdit still shows both version associations present.  And the 4.1.1 is the default application.

Clicking on a WPS icon for a ODS file (Spreadsheet), the system now tells me...  OOoWPS Support Agreement for OpenOffice.org for eComStation and OS/2 is require in order to open, view or print the document.

The system does not start OpenOffice in any version now.

The context menu showed both 3.2 & 4.1.1 programs are associated with it.

I then walked through all file extensions and removed the 3.2 references.  When completed I rebooted the system.

Clicking on a WPS icon for a ODS file still gives me the same dialog and it still does not launch any program.

I can get the open context menu and it shows only the 4.1.1 program.

Any other ideas?   Until I get this fixed, I'll just have to use the open context menu rather than just double clicking the icon.

>> Follow up....

I downloaded from Mensys my ecs 2.1 CD3 and found the OOoWps installer again.  But it also had the ooodoc.cmd that I did not have before.  I uninstalled the OOoWps and reinstalled that software.  Then ran ooodoc.cmd.  It seems to have fixed my problem.  Now I can double click and office document and it opens in 4.1.1.  I hope this helps others plan their updates.

>> Follow up...   (1/28/15)

My next reboot found that I'd lost the desktop.  Perhaps all that goofing around with desktop settings  messed something up.

I restored a desttop from before the install of 4.1.1 took place.  So I've lost my AssocEdit setting changes, and my AOO 4.1.1 desktop changes.

I uninstalled AOO and reinstalled it again.  The AOO 4.1.1 desktop folder & icons are back.  Still had the same problem with opening a document though.  (Opens 3.2 instead of 4.1.1).  So I tried to run the ooodoc.cmd again.  This gave me enough errors that I decided I had no idea how to make it work.  But it didn't seem to have done any damage either.  So plan B was to open AssocEdit again and remove the 3.2 association with some (but not all, I'm  lazy) of the file extensions.   I selected the ones I'm most likely to see based on what I've seen over the years.

For now, things are working just fine.  Double clicking documents open up 4.1.1 as I want.

Hopefully others will have better luck than I.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 02:04:57 am by Mark »

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2015, 04:35:17 am »
I was having a problem opening AOO4 when Firefox 24.8.1 was open. A bunch of DLLs failed to load. The fix was to go to the Extras folder, then use "Enable High Mem code&data loading". That seems to have fixed that problem, for now.

I am still having trouble with printing (not unexpected, since nothing has been done to fix that problem).

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2015, 04:52:54 am »
You can also mark the Firefox dlls to load high. Currently xul.dll can only be marked to load the code high without eventually crashing.

mwizard

« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2015, 02:58:58 pm »
FWIW

Here I can run both AOO & FF24 at the same time.  I can print a couple of pages from a basic document in AOO at the same time too.   I'm using 14.104SMP kernel.  I have not set any DLLs to run in highmem.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2015, 04:56:53 pm »
You can also mark the Firefox dlls to load high. Currently xul.dll can only be marked to load the code high without eventually crashing.

I haven't tried Firefox, yet, but I have been having the odd crash on closing Firefox, so I am hesitant to try that. (I do have the 14.106 SMP kernel). There are some other things that  I will try, when I find some time.   ::)

Here I can run both AOO & FF24 at the same time.  I can print a couple of pages from a basic document in AOO at the same time too.   I'm using 14.104SMP kernel.  I have not set any DLLs to run in highmem.

I can run AOO4 with FF 24, if I unload a whole bunch of background programs (not on). Apparently, you need the fixed 14.106 SMP kernel to use the highmem thing.

Andy Willis

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2015, 08:21:58 pm »
I had thought they had just fixed xul.dll so it could be set to load code and data high.  Maybe I am misremembering or misread something along the way.

Andy Willis

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2015, 08:26:41 pm »
FWIW

If you do not have a patched kernel then marking DLLs to run in highmem will cause a trap when the DLL unloads (maybe not everytime but often enough to be annoying).  So if you have not installed the patch, you probably don't want to mark highmem.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2015, 10:06:50 pm »
I had thought they had just fixed xul.dll so it could be set to load code and data high.  Maybe I am misremembering or misread something along the way.

There are numerous places where #include <os2safe.h> is missing and it was decided to rebuild with libc066 where os2safe.h is automatically included before os2.h would be simpler.