Author Topic: New Computer  (Read 11038 times)

TeLLie

• View Profile
New Computer
« on: January 13, 2015, 10:04:10 pm »
Hello All,

It's time for a new computer :)
So i wanne buy this one, any have remarks on this or have bad experiences please let me know .

The mainboard have:
Supports Gigabit LAN by Realtek® RTL8111G
Chipset integrated by Realtek® ALC887

1 x VGA port, supporting a maximum resolution of 1920x1200 @ 60Hz, 24bpp
• 1 x DVI-D port, supporting a maximum resolution of 2560x1600@60Hz, 24bpp/ 1920x1200 @ 60Hz, 24bpp
• 1 x HDMI port, supporting a maximum resolution of 4096x2160@24Hz, 36bpp*/ 3840x2160@30Hz, 36bpp*/ 1920x1200@120Hz, 36bpp and 1920x1200@60Hz, 36bpp

Mainboard is a:          MSI A88XM-E35
Processor is a:           Amd A8-7600
Cooler is a:                 Deepcool GAMMAXX S40
Memory:                     G Skills RipjawsX 8GB DDR3-2133 cl11 kit
SDD HD is a :            Crucial MX100 256GB
HD is a:                       WD Digital Green 2TB
Dvdplayer is a:           LG GH24NS95
Casing is a:                Coolermaster N200
PSU is a:                     Be Quit!  Systempower 7 400W
Monitor is a:                AOC M2879VQ

so wanne also know if all works on OS/2 as i can change hardware if that would be better.

OS4User

• View Profile
Re: New Computer
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2015, 11:23:57 pm »
Mainboard is a:          MSI A88XM-E35

It has COM port  :)   so it is ok

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2015, 12:35:15 am »
That is one of the boards we have on order for testing as a possible replacement for all our workstations.  One of the reasons we are looking at it and the ASUS A88XM-Plus is that they have real com ports even if you have to supply the necessary socket and cable.

With 8GB ram you will either have 4GB doing nothing or a 4GB ran disk if you use QSINIT.

The HD shouldn't be a problem - the machine I'm typing this on has 4 of them in it, all working.  As far as I know there shouldn't be any problems with the SSD, I have a MX100 128GB in my laptop running OS/2.

The power supply is large enough for what you list but if you are thinking of adding more HDs then I would go for a 600W unit.

For sound you may have to experiment to find the best version of uniaud that works with what you have.

Andi B.

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2015, 10:17:44 am »
more HDs then I would go for a 600W unit.
I disagree. If you do not want to plug in on of these monster graphic cards you probably never will draw more than 200W. Problem with these 'high' power models is they wast lot more energy in the normal use case - a eCS system including HD probably will not take much more than 20-30W most of the time. Estimated, have to measure in the next days. Additional HD less than 10W.

I use a 350W Enermax as the 300W is not available anymore. Instead AMD I've Intel Haswell (not sure if AMD support in ACPI is at same level as for INTEL), instead WD green WD black (performance and durability reasons), instead Crucial Samsung 850 PRO (same reasons as for HD), instead MSI Asus (I wanted the additional Display Port), Kingston instead G Skills RipjawsX. But that's all personal preference.

COM Port - although my Asus does have one I can't get it to work with debug Kernel. Not sure if it's my fault setting up debug kernel or something is not initialized in BIOS. It works when eCS is booted of course. Let us know if it works for you.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2015, 11:38:06 am »
Andi,

Regarding the size (rated output) of a power supply a lot depends on what you are attaching to it.  As you say the video card needs to be considered as does the number and rotational speed of the hard disks.  Then the things that are attached that draw power must be considered as well.  If you are just going to use the machine for single user 'normal' tasks then I will agree with you on power draw but go beyond that 'normal' use, add a couple of external USB disks that take power from the host and maybe the odd couple of smart phones that are charging and you have gone into the realm of marginal power - not nice when you are trying to work.

Andi B.

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2015, 12:21:12 pm »
l USB disks that take power from the host and maybe the odd couple of smart phones that are charging and you have gone into the realm of marginal power - not nice when you are trying to work.
Thats quite easy to calculate. Current consumption is limited to 500mA per port and standard. So take f.i. 8 USB ports with 0.5A * 5V gives all in all 20W max. :-) Yeah I know there are some devices that do not follow the standards. And I know with USB3.0 900mA are allowed. But you do not have 8 USB3 ports and 8 high power devices connected at the same time, do you? Looking at the math there's no need to fear about 'some' extra devices on USB ports.

Andi B.

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2015, 12:27:51 pm »
for single user 'normal' tasks
That would need the 20-30W I stated with modern Haswell processors and current motherboards. Should it be 50W, far away from 300W. Even if all your cores run at full speed it will not take more than 150W worst case for current office PCs. Of course if you install a high end graphic card this value could easily be doubled.

More 'exotic' setups like RAID5 SCSI with old power hungry disks are a different thing of course.

Andreas Schnellbacher

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2015, 07:15:59 pm »
I agree with Andi.

Here's my recommendation for a low-noise 300 W power supply:
http://geizhals.de/be-quiet-pure-power-l8-300w-atx-2-4-bn220-a960670.html

Joseph M. Kempf

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2015, 02:20:09 pm »
That is one of the boards we have on order for testing as a possible replacement for all our workstations.  One of the reasons we are looking at it and the ASUS A88XM-Plus is that they have real com ports even if you have to supply the necessary socket and cable. ...

For sound you may have to experiment to find the best version of uniaud that works with what you have.

Ivan, did choose that ASUS A88XM-Plus?  And if so, which version of uniaud worked for you?

Thanks

Joe