Author Topic: Apache OpenOffice and Java  (Read 19803 times)

BentBit

Apache OpenOffice and Java
« on: January 14, 2015, 09:09:48 pm »
Hi,

Has anyone got a working relation between AOO 4.1.1 and Java?

I recently installed AOO 4.1.1 GA and I had already openjdk6_b27_jre_os2_ga5-20130217.zip put in directory JAVA160.

Opening Text Document, and attempting to go to Tools-> Options  > Java causes the desktop to freeze. Via CAD I have to kill OpenOffice.

In Ubuntu I get in that place information about the available jre.

The experts at eComstation NewsPortal are unreachable: the site is down.

Greetings,
Leo

David McKenna

• View Profile
Re: Apache OpenOffice and Java
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2015, 11:55:57 pm »
 No luck with Java and OpenOffice here either. I get the same hang when I try to create a database using Base. No *.trp files or POPUPLOGS either. It worked here in the first beta.....

mickhead

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2015, 12:17:55 am »
The enable of Java is working on my system which is including ecs 2.2 and BWW latest GA AOO.
While Base launched, a separate java.exe appears as new task..can proves at least no crashes.

Jan-Erik Lärka

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2015, 09:13:01 am »
Opening Text Document, and attempting to go to Tools-> Options  > Java causes the desktop to freeze. Via CAD I have to kill OpenOffice.

I have the same problem.

//Jan-Erik

BentBit

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2015, 02:04:01 pm »
The enable of Java is working on my system which is including ecs 2.2 and BWW latest GA AOO.
While Base launched, a separate java.exe appears as new task..can proves at least no crashes.

Hi,

Also here the latest eCS 2.2 beta. Which java version do you have? And what do you have in config.sys containing 'java'?

David McKenna

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2015, 06:55:14 pm »
  I tried deleting my OO profile (C:\Home\Default\OpenOffice) and started Writer. After going thru the initialization routine (add name) now I consistently get a crash and *.trp file when I go to Tools->Options->Java. The *.trp files all look the same. Can also now start Base without a crash, but after closing it there is a Java process still running that needs to be closed. After closing the Java process, Quickstart (if it was running) crashes with a *.trp file. Something isn't quite right....

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2015, 07:59:45 pm »
I thought that the AOO and LibreOffice maintainers were trying to remove the use of java from both products - at least that was what I read on a tech news site quite some time ago.

Since I have never seen the need for java in either AOO or LO could someone enlighten me as to why you would use it?

David McKenna

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2015, 08:19:58 pm »
http://www.openoffice.org/download/common/java.html

If you want to use Base, you have to have Java. Otherwise you can live without it. It would be great if they got rid of the requirement.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2015, 09:32:03 pm »
Thanks David.  It does seem to be a rather strange requirement in this version although I suppose it goes back to its roots in StarOffice that was pretending to be a total desktop environment.

mickhead

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2015, 11:08:00 pm »
Also here the latest eCS 2.2 beta. Which java version do you have? And what do you have in config.sys containing 'java'?
Hi to you,
Regards Java: Version 1.6.0 Build 27 GA5 (2013-02-17)
and,
Here config.sys is not special case: simple libpath and path to E:\PROGRAMS\OPENJDK6\BIN

I do not offer AOO allows selection and path to the java on this old t-43 system and seems not others system.
But new: I look at Base files further and find Base crashing while circumstanced: open database macros. And, choose tables of the database. Stable not so much on production uses, then.

Regards
*Please forgive my English

BentBit

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2015, 04:04:14 pm »
I thought that the AOO and LibreOffice maintainers were trying to remove the use of java from both products - at least that was what I read on a tech news site quite some time ago.

Since I have never seen the need for java in either AOO or LO could someone enlighten me as to why you would use it?

Hi, Ivan

Java is necessary for use of the following in OpenOffice.org:

The built-in default database HSQLDB
    JDBC database drivers
    Many wizards, like the Autopilot/wizard form generators
    Using the XSLT, flat XML filters
    Using Java applets in OpenOffice.org
    Using Java-based languages in the scripting framework
    Java Application Interface (API) programs for 3rdparty modules
    All accessibility functions
    The OpenOffice.org testtool and QaTestDev programs

For instance, when you try to search for something in 'help': AOO crashes. In base you cannot use wizards to create forms, queries, tables. You can, however, use Base with dBase (bit old fashioned)

Greetings
Leo

BentBit

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2015, 04:17:04 pm »
When OpenOffice 2 was released I made a bug report about this defect.
I now see that I am not the only one; I doubt that there is anyone with an working java installation.
Yurio Dario never apparently repaired it. He told me that Java worked for him.
When I try to make a bug report at Apache. I get an answer that OS/2 is too unimportant:

Please note that OS/2 is not an officially supported OS as OpenOffice is not
downloadable from here [1]. But it's a porting that is managed by Yuri on our
porting webpage [2].

It's possible that you get more attention/answers when you post your problem
also to the dev@ and users@ mailing list [3].

[1] http://www.openoffice.org/download/
[2] http://www.openoffice.org/porting/
[3] http://openoffice.apache.org/mailing-lists.html

I am no developer, I simply want to use office software on eCS.

Greetings,
Leo

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2015, 05:41:21 pm »
Hi Leo,  Thanks for that list.

Since all we use AOO for is the word-processor and to occasionally look at a power point that someone sends I don't think we are going to have any problems.

As a side note LibreOffice has reduced the use of java and are even looking at replacing the db with one that doesn't require java.  Strangely AOO has kept all their java components.  Maybe being owned by Oracle has something to do with that.  Not wishing to look a gift horse in the mouth it is a pity that AOO was chosen for porting rather than LibreOffice (which to my mind is the better product that we run in a very striped down Qemu XP VM).

Andreas Schnellbacher

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2015, 05:45:04 pm »
It's possible that you get more attention/answers when you post your problem
also to the dev@ and users@ mailing list [3].

[3] http://openoffice.apache.org/mailing-lists.html
Please never post a user problem to a developer's mailing list! The only exception would be if there exists no user list. Thank you.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2015, 06:43:02 pm »
Hi Ivan. It seems one of the first things that the LibreOffice did was clean up the code by removing everything that didn't seem useful/supported including the OS/2 code and weren't interested in putting it back so there weren't many choices.

Hi Andreas, Good advice about the mailing lists. I'll just add that there is quite a variety in developers mailing lists, varying from user questions being welcomed to user questions getting flamed. It is always a good idea to lurk a while or look at the mailing list archives to get an idea of the mailing list culture though as you say, if there is a user list, that is the best start.