Author Topic: A cups 2.0 "How To": Installing and configuring cups 2.0 and supporting software  (Read 67202 times)

Pete

• View Profile
Hi David

The testprint file that you posted is the file from cups v2.0.0; the version from 2.0.3 looks like this

#CUPS-BANNER
Show printer-name printer-info printer-location printer-make-and-model printer-driver-name printer-driver-version paper-size imageable-area
Header Printer Test Page
Footer Printer Test Page
Notice CUPS 2.0.3.
Image images/cups.png
Image images/color-wheel.png

The #CUPS-BANNER header seems to be the problem: either the testprint file is wrong or something is not quite right with cups as it cannot work with this file.

Something I noticed during updating to 2.0.3 is the amount of cups files marked as ReadOnly - I think that may include testprint. You may also want to check other files were updated rather than silently failing due to ReadOnly file attributes.

Regards

Pete

David McKenna

• View Profile
Pete,

I checked my install and it is definitely all updated (I always delete the old before installing the new CUPS). It turns out I lucked out in how I installed. I first unzipped CUPS 2.0.3, them unzipped Cups-filters-1.0.71. CUPS has the testprint you show, but CUPS-filters has the one I show. Since I installed CUPS-filters second, I ended up with the one that works. No idea why they both have a testprint and they are different...

Edit: The CUPS 2.0.0 and CUPS-filters 1.0.61 packages both have different 'testprint' files as well (the same 2). I wonder how many people tried out CUPS 2 and failed to get a test print because of the order they unzipped the files....
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 07:21:07 pm by David McKenna »

Pete

• View Profile
Hi David

Yes, found the cockup at my end and testprint (from cups-filters) prints fine.

Regards

Pete

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
A couple of things are lacking. First, about shopping for a printer. The method today is to buy a printer based on what the vendor would most like to sell, then try it on Cups, and if that doesn't work, then abandon eCS and use some operating system that supports printers.

A better solution would be to collect the list of printers that Cups supports, and present it pretty clearly so you can see the supported printers. To test the list, take a Sunday newspaper, and check Cups support for each printer that you find.

I intend to cover some of the above in my Warpstock presentation in order to try and guide people in the right direction towards purchasing a printer that has a good probability of working.

Unfortunately, Gutenprint, which at one time kept Canon/Epson printers pretty up to date doesn't seem to be updated as frequently anymore with current printers - so HPLIP for HP printers is the best option currently.

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
Hey Dave,

Edit: The CUPS 2.0.0 and CUPS-filters 1.0.61 packages both have different 'testprint' files as well (the same 2). I wonder how many people tried out CUPS 2 and failed to get a test print because of the order they unzipped the files....

I'll try and fix the install script for CUPS to not install this in future to avoid the issue.

Cheers.

Paul

Paul Smedley

• View Profile

I'll try and fix the install script for CUPS to not install this in future to avoid the issue.

http://smedley.id.au/tmp/cups-2.0.3-os2-20150727.zip doesn't include testprint or the banner files which are duplicated in cups-filters. It also doesn't set the file mode to 755 which should avoid the 'read only' issues that Pete mentioned.

Cheers,

Paul

David McKenna

• View Profile
Paul,

Thanks for the update - it works fine here. Hopefully more people will be successful with CUPS 2 using this version. One minor thing... when I unzip here every file is marked read-only....

Pete

• View Profile
Hi Paul

Just to confirm no testprint problem with cups-2.0.3-os2-20150727.zip and also to confirm Daves finding that a lot of files - around 70% -  are marked ReadOnly.

Regards

Pete

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
Hi Dave & Pete,

Just to confirm no testprint problem with cups-2.0.3-os2-20150727.zip and also to confirm Daves finding that a lot of files - around 70% -  are marked ReadOnly.

OK, http://smedley.id.au/tmp/cups-2.0.3-os2-20150728.zip should *hopefully* have no more read-only files. I looked through all the makefiles for any cases of a file mode being specified and removed those calls :)

Cheers,

Paul

Pete

• View Profile
Hi Paul

Not sure what is going wrong but unzipping cups-2.0.3-os2-20150728.zip to a temp directory and then running a couple of dir commands provides some figures

[G:\OS2\TEMP\CUPS]dir * /s > dir.txt

gives a files total of 863

[G:\OS2\TEMP\CUPS]DIR * /A:R /S > attrib.txt

Counts files with ReadOnly set and gives a files total of 634 files

Can I suggest that just prior to zipping you run the following from the root directory of the package - in this case \cups

ATTRIB -R * /S

That should get rid of all ReadOnly attributes - here the attrib command seems to need uppercase (as above - not sure if that is just this system) as using lowercase failed.

Regards

Pete

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
Hey Pete,

Not sure what is going wrong but unzipping cups-2.0.3-os2-20150728.zip to a temp directory and then running a couple of dir commands provides some figures

[G:\OS2\TEMP\CUPS]dir * /s > dir.txt

gives a files total of 863

[G:\OS2\TEMP\CUPS]DIR * /A:R /S > attrib.txt

Counts files with ReadOnly set and gives a files total of 634 files

Thanks for the command line, helped me find the issue and some more cases of mode setting in the makefiles. 'make install' now generates no read-only files, which is much better than me having to remember to manually run attrib each time I refresh CUPS :)

Cheers,

Paul