Author Topic: A cups 2.0 "How To": Installing and configuring cups 2.0 and supporting software  (Read 65632 times)

guzzi

• View Profile
guzzi,

Not sure if it makes any difference, but instead of 'localhost' I always use '127.0.0.1' in my output port settings. Might be worth a try...

That doesn't and shouldn't make any difference. I still get errors and data doesn't get sent. "not a PDF" and "filter error". After clicking reprint job I get "loadFile failed: temp file: not a PDF file" after a while.

I see this in the error.log.0
D [25/Jan/2015:21:38:08 -0100] [Client 4] cupsdWriteClient error=0, used=0, stat
e=HTTP_STATE_GET_SEND, data_encoding=HTTP_ENCODING_CHUNKED, data_remaining=0, re
sponse=0(), pipe_pid=110, file=12

David McKenna

• View Profile
guzzi,

Yes, I thought so myself - but something is different between your system and mine. Here CUPS 2 works fine with everything I've tried (don't have SmartSuite though), both socket:// and usb:// connections (using the usb.exe I posted) along with Alex's latest PSPRINT driver.

One other thing I wonder about... I use YUM extensively, and have UNIXROOT=C: in my CONFIG.SYS. I also installed CUPS on C:. Do you have a UNIXROOT set? If so is it set to the same drive that CUPS is on? Not sure how it would work if not installed on the UNIXROOT drive... or if it matters.

guzzi

• View Profile
guzzi,

Yes, I thought so myself - but something is different between your system and mine. Here CUPS 2 works fine with everything I've tried (don't have SmartSuite though), both socket:// and usb:// connections (using the usb.exe I posted) along with Alex's latest PSPRINT driver.

One other thing I wonder about... I use YUM extensively, and have UNIXROOT=C: in my CONFIG.SYS. I also installed CUPS on C:. Do you have a UNIXROOT set? If so is it set to the same drive that CUPS is on? Not sure how it would work if not installed on the UNIXROOT drive... or if it matters.

Unixroot is set to F: and cups is installed on F: too.

Could you zip up your cups directory and ftp it to me so I can compare files?

David McKenna

• View Profile
guzzi,

Sure.... what ftp address?

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
guzzi,

Not sure if it makes any difference, but instead of 'localhost' I always use '127.0.0.1' in my output port settings. Might be worth a try...

The only reason why that would make a difference, is if the HOSTS file doesn't have the "127.0.0.1 localhost" line in it.

I do NOT put things like YUM or CUPS on a boot drive. That should make no difference, but I wouldn't bet on that. CUPS and YUM are on the same drive, if I have YUM installed. I haven't tried CUPS 2.0.0 on a drive without YUM, recently. It didn't work last time, but Pete has suggested a few more things to try.

guzzi

• View Profile
guzzi,

Sure.... what ftp address?

Compared and found a few differences. I has a number of exe files in cups\sbin that were only 14 bytes. I simply replaced  my cups with your working setup, minus configuration files. No luck, still doesn't print. In fact everything seems to be working, but nothing comes out of the printer. Have tried several versions of the usb stack, made no difference. I'm fairly sure now it's a backend problem.

David McKenna

• View Profile
 One thing to be careful about.... there is the file \cups\bin\gs.exe that is a symlink to gsos2.exe. Unless your ghostscript is setup exactly like mine, this file is almost certainly wrong for you. You will need to recreate it (first delete the old one) from the command prompt like:

ln -s /gs/gs9.15/bin/gsos2.exe /cups/bin/gs.exe

Point to the ghostscript you want to use (hopefully it is on the same drive as CUPS).

Once you can print the test page, you have CUPS working. Next is to get the CUPS ppd file into PSPRINT.

guzzi

• View Profile
One thing to be careful about.... there is the file \cups\bin\gs.exe that is a symlink to gsos2.exe. Unless your ghostscript is setup exactly like mine, this file is almost certainly wrong for you. You will need to recreate it (first delete the old one) from the command prompt like:

ln -s /gs/gs9.15/bin/gsos2.exe /cups/bin/gs.exe

Point to the ghostscript you want to use (hopefully it is on the same drive as CUPS).

Once you can print the test page, you have CUPS working. Next is to get the CUPS ppd file into PSPRINT.

Interestingly enough, the gs.exe in your zipped version of cups is not a symlink but a copy of gsos2.exe. I replaced it by a symlink and can now print the test page again. Still no luck printing from os/2, "filter failed"

David McKenna

• View Profile

Interestingly enough, the gs.exe in your zipped version of cups is not a symlink but a copy of gsos2.exe. I replaced it by a symlink and can now print the test page again. Still no luck printing from os/2, "filter failed"

Strange.... gs.exe somehow got replaced in the zip process. If the test page prints, but apps don't, than the issue must be in the printer driver. I assume jobs show up in the CUPS queue. It might be interesting to try using the 'Generic Postscript Printer (Enhanced)' in Alex's PSPrint package and see if you get anything from that. If you do, then I would suspect the PPD file imported into PSPrint has directives not supported by PSPrint. Finding those directives is tricky, but can be done.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 04:29:10 am by David McKenna »

guzzi

• View Profile
After a lot of effort I still couldn't get cups 2.0 to work. So I went back to 1.4.8. Did that by deleting cups and gutenprint directory and copying the old ones back. Also replaced te stuff in the bootdrive. Rebooted, deleted printers, first with printman, then with prndrv.exe to be sure all old stuff was gone, rebooted again. Then tried to create a new printer with printman. This led to traps in os2krnl. Not a clue why or how. In the end, I restored C: and F: partitions from backup. I didn't have time to fiddle around with it more because I needed to print something.  Next time I'm going to try cups 2.0 and possibly revert to 1.4.8 I'll document the traps. It could just be that they are also related to cups 2.0 not working because of some kind of rermnants of the old printer drivers. The restore I did replaced popuplog.os2, but I did notice quite a few exceptions in libc066 with usb.exe before it got overwritten.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
The restore I did replaced popuplog.os2, but I did notice quite a few exceptions in libc066 with usb.exe before it got overwritten.

Perhaps whoever is building this stuff should add exceptq support?

Paul Smedley

• View Profile

Pete

• View Profile
Hi All

Anyone else having problems printing the cups 2.0.3 test page?

The cups interface reports:-

Unsupported format "application/vnd.cups-banner".

The log shows:-

D [25/Jul/2015:18:51:38 +0000] [Job ???] Auto-typing file...
I [25/Jul/2015:18:51:38 +0000] [Job ???] Request file type is application/vnd.cups-banner.
D [25/Jul/2015:18:51:38 +0000] Print-Job client-error-document-format-not-supported: Unsupported format "application/vnd.cups-banner".
E [25/Jul/2015:18:51:38 +0000] [Client 8] Returning IPP client-error-document-format-not-supported for Print-Job (ipp://localhost:631/printers/MG7550) from localhost

A few lines further down I see:-

D [25/Jul/2015:18:51:38 +0000] [CGI] cgiSetVariable: MESSAGE="Unable to print test page"
D [25/Jul/2015:18:51:38 +0000] [CGI] cgiSetVariable: ERROR="Unsupported format "application/vnd.cups-banner"."

Is the problem an incorrect cups v2.0.3 testprint file or something missing/not-quite-right in cups/cups-filters?

If I replace the cups 2.0.3 testprint file with the cups 2.0.0 version the test page prints fine.

Regards

Pete

David McKenna

• View Profile
 Pete,

It works fine here.... maybe the archive got corrupted during download? Testprint is a text file... what does the contents of your 2.0.3 version look like? Mine says this:

#PDF-BANNER
Template default-testpage.pdf
Show printer-name printer-info printer-location printer-make-and-model printer-driver-name printer-driver-version paper-size imageable-area job-id options time-at-creation time-at-processing

It also has 351 bytes of EA's. Maybe yours were lost during unzip?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 03:52:09 am by David McKenna »

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
Looking at the CUPS howto, I see a pretty good description of how to download and install CUPS. (Thanks, Pete!)

A couple of things are lacking. First, about shopping for a printer. The method today is to buy a printer based on what the vendor would most like to sell, then try it on Cups, and if that doesn't work, then abandon eCS and use some operating system that supports printers.

A better solution would be to collect the list of printers that Cups supports, and present it pretty clearly so you can see the supported printers. To test the list, take a Sunday newspaper, and check Cups support for each printer that you find.

Second, about apps support. Show configuring and using Cups support for Open Office, Firefox and PMView (feel free to substitute apps that you use). Especially show printing on an envelope or other non-standard form. I'm finding that printer support is actually better than back in the IBM supported days, but you have to do a lot of tinkering, research and waste a bit of paper to get there.

A Warpstock attendee asked me if we could have a presentation about hand editing PPD files. If that's what it takes, I'd like to see that described. My printer works because I edited the PPD file to take out unsupported characters / languages.
Expert consulting for ArcaOS, OS/2 and eComStation
http://www.blondeguy.com