Author Topic: Drives object with Samba share  (Read 6384 times)

Meeko

Drives object with Samba share
« on: February 14, 2015, 05:27:24 am »
I have Warp 4.5 installed as a VirtualBox guest on a Linux host. I mapped my home directory and it works on the command line as well as in File Freedom (the file manager application). But when I try to use the WPS drive object, I get 2 errors. The first is "no objects were found that matched the specified find criteria" and the second is that EAs cannot be stored, and nothing shows in the opened folder.

I know ext3 volumes can't store EAs like HPFS volumes can. Is there any way to get a EA DATA. SF file as would be used on a FAT12/16 volume?

Can anything be done about the other error and the empty folder?

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
Re: Drives object with Samba share
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2015, 05:55:12 am »
Going by distant memory, you may have to enable xattrs with Samba and they may also be a mount option with ext3. Ext3 can only store 4kbs of xattrs or Extended Attributes per file which are enough for many OS/2 functions, there are better Linux filesystem choices including JFS when it comes to EA/xattr support.
EA DATA. SF are just EAs and Linux doesn't support them on FAT so as stated above, you need to use the native xattrs.

Meeko

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2015, 04:23:14 pm »
Upon researching it, I found xattr is a compile-time option for Samba.
Code: [Select]
smbd -b | grep SETXATTR shows the package maintainer(s) have it enabled. I checked my /etc/fstab and /home does have user_xattr which Samba also recommends per https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/OS_Requirements

I need the share more for reading than for writing, but at present neither is possible using WPS objects. I download everything for OS/2 on the host with Iceweasel. I was using ftp until I got file sharing set up in the OS/2 guest and lanman enabled in Samba. If I download something and decide to keep it, then I move it to a directory that is synced with Jungledisk. It would be better if VirtualBox supported shared folders in OS/2, but we're lucky to have OS/2 officially supported at all.

Meeko

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2015, 04:00:15 am »
Solved at last.

Key points:
The share has to be mounted with user_xattr (which Samba recommends anyway)
The share has to be made browseable.
EA support for the share must be enabled.
Grant write permission to the share (the write list). I have two logins on the host, each with different configurations. I made a group and made both users members of it, then gave write permission to the group.

I noticed SWAT sometimes doesn't actually save changes, so if anyone else wants to set up Samba for a OS/2 client I would suggest editing smb.conf with a text editor instead.