Author Topic: How long is a HPFS CHKDSK?  (Read 18114 times)

Meeko

How long is a HPFS CHKDSK?
« on: February 15, 2015, 09:12:53 am »
2 hours and no sign of progress. VirtualBox's disk activity icon shows nothing, so I doubt the CHKDSK will ever finish. The volume is 30 gigs with only 197 megs in use, and the host system has a i7 CPU. I was using Danis506 to break the 2 gig barrier of IBM1S506.ADD. There seems to be no such thing as a fsck.hpfs for Linux or I would have used it. Since I was writing to a different volume when OS/2 locked up, can I just force OS/2 to mount it anyway or clear the dirty bit using dd in Linux? BTW, it is not the boot volume.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 11:08:22 am by Erich Schulman »

ivan

• View Profile
Re: How long is a HPFS CHKDSK?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2015, 01:24:18 pm »
The last time I did a chkdsk on a 20GB HPFS partition it took about 90 seconds.

May I ask why you want such a large HPFS partition in the first place?  Our standard partitioning on all our OS/2 machines and VMs is to have a 1GB HPFS boot partition and then several JFS partitions for such things as programs, data and storage.  On our test machine we have several 500GB JFS partitions created using the IBM JFS that appeared in one of the later fixpacks and with WSeB.

I just started up the test machine - it has auto chkdsk on all partitions - and it took 22 seconds from power on to full desktop (it has three 1TB disks and one 500GB disk - boot partition is 2GB HPFS the other six partitions are JFS).

eirik

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2015, 01:59:55 pm »
Erich,

from your post it appears you are running OS/2 // eCS in a Virtual Box.  Disk checking for virtual machines is usually not required (the host system does that job as I have understood matters).  Hence, abort (if it is still running), and just proceed.  Anyone with more expertise on the Virtual Box (I run the old Virtual PC with eCS as the host system and XP on the VM, and there the XP disk checking is of no importance).

Eirik

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2015, 03:48:18 pm »
Eirik,

The host system only looks after the virtual disk container file NOT the disks contained within that file.

If the partition within the VM becomes corrupted then the OS of that VM must be used to do the chkdsk.  In the case in question it could well be a constrained memory issue with such a large partition which could lead to a format and re-install with a better partition layout.

Roderick Klein

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2015, 05:43:10 pm »
Erich,

from your post it appears you are running OS/2 // eCS in a Virtual Box.  Disk checking for virtual machines is usually not required (the host system does that job as I have understood matters).  Hence, abort (if it is still running), and just proceed.  Anyone with more expertise on the Virtual Box (I run the old Virtual PC with eCS as the host system and XP on the VM, and there the XP disk checking is of no importance).

Eirik

From what I can tell Windows (when not shut down properly) tends to enter into a CHKDSK a lot less then when OS/2 is not shut down quickly.
With Linux and OS/2/eCS a chkdsk is required, it does not matter if it runs on native hardware or in a virtual machine.
Especialy with a file system such as HPFS (which is not a journalling file system), you can not be certain in what state a file system is in.
So you need to run a CHKDSK.

As for HPFS and the maxium size of the HPFS partition. In theory its 65 gigabyte but all to often have I seen HPFS volume bigger 15 to 20 GB run into a trouble running a CHKDSK. Simply because it was never that well tested with such large volumes.

So its either use JFS with OS/2, and if you only have HPPS (such as Warp), then  go with HPFS.
Do your self a favor and never use FAT to install Warp 4 on in my experience it can blow up the quickests of all file systems (FAT/HPFS/JFS).

As Erich posts that his chdkdsk hangs. You will need to boot from floppies and the CD and then run a chkdsk. It could be the HPFS file system has received just a blow the CHKDSK can not even start. But thats hard to tell from a distance if the scenario I just described is happening on your system.

Roderick Klein

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2015, 07:41:43 pm »
...As for HPFS and the maxium size of the HPFS partition. In theory its 65 gigabyte but all to often have I seen HPFS volume bigger 15 to 20 GB run into a trouble running a CHKDSK. Simply because it was never that well tested with such large volumes...

My only comment on Roderick's post is that I have pretty much maxed out the HPFS386 partitions here on my machine, some 14 of them (so really 7 full-time use and 7 back-up partitions...yes, agree, not ideal but that was what I had available when I organized the install), subsequently the CHKDSK runs are pretty lengthy...but...they do complete each and every time. The partitions are either 60 or 64 Gig in size...all of them.

To the original poster: Erich, I would re-start the VM, let CHKDSK re-start and go from there...that is absolutely much too long of a runtime..my 14 partitions typically take about 10 mins...

Roderick Klein

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2015, 09:55:38 pm »
...As for HPFS and the maxium size of the HPFS partition. In theory its 65 gigabyte but all to often have I seen HPFS volume bigger 15 to 20 GB run into a trouble running a CHKDSK. Simply because it was never that well tested with such large volumes...

My only comment on Roderick's post is that I have pretty much maxed out the HPFS386 partitions here on my machine, some 14 of them (so really 7 full-time use and 7 back-up partitions...yes, agree, not ideal but that was what I had available when I organized the install), subsequently the CHKDSK runs are pretty lengthy...but...they do complete each and every time. The partitions are either 60 or 64 Gig in size...all of them.

To the original poster: Erich, I would re-start the VM, let CHKDSK re-start and go from there...that is absolutely much too long of a runtime..my 14 partitions typically take about 10 mins...

Aaah did I miss it, or did you not write before you where using HPFS 386 ? HPFS 386 might still work better with larger volumes. But then again the chkdsk with HPFS 386 can maybe even be greater DUO to the ACL's on the file system.

Meeko

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2015, 05:31:05 am »
The last time I did a chkdsk on a 20GB HPFS partition it took about 90 seconds.

May I ask why you want such a large HPFS partition in the first place?  Our standard partitioning on all our OS/2 machines and VMs is to have a 1GB HPFS boot partition and then several JFS partitions for such things as programs, data and storage.  On our test machine we have several 500GB JFS partitions created using the IBM JFS that appeared in one of the later fixpacks and with WSeB.

VirtualBox lets me create dynamic HDD images so I can declare 30 gigs while having a much smaller actual file. GParted does not support HPFS, so I went for a size big enough to essentially guarantee that I would never, ever want to expand it.

Even though my Linux host has a number of partitions, they were set up according to purpose. I don't want to use D: through T: just to overcome filesystem limitations. It's a throwback to MS/PC-DOS 2 users being forced to make numerous partitions to use then-big drives because of the biggest size supported by FAT12. It becomes an endless hassle of deciding where you are going to put something initially and copying/deleting to shuffle things volume to volume. Not to mention the even worse hassle of having to move applications or (heavens forbid) OS/2 itself from one drive letter to another. Shifting CD drive letters are trouble enough. Obviously I like the single tree better than the forest. At least in OS-9 (the Microware product, not the old MacOS version) didn't limit you to the end of the alphabet. I would have filled up the drive letters on my WinXP32 guest if not for NTFS allowing me to mount to a directory instead of a drive letter.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2015, 08:05:21 am »
VirtualBox lets me create dynamic HDD images so I can declare 30 gigs while having a much smaller actual file. GParted does not support HPFS, so I went for a size big enough to essentially guarantee that I would never, ever want to expand it.

Might be a good practice to format the HDD image with the /long parameter so the partition is tested for bad blocks and forcing the dynamic HDD image to grow to its correct size.
You should always use OS/2 (or OS/2 aware) tools to partition as it is old enough to still use heads, cylinders, sectors internally and can get upset if partition boundaries are not on cylinder boundaries.
Even when setting up dual boot systems it is best to do the initial partitioning with OS/2 (or dfsee dfsee.com) then using Linux fdisk to change the partition type. By putting grub in /boot you can even use the OS/2 Bootmanager to boot linux.

OS/2 WSEB and eCS come with the LVM manager as well as JFS. The LVM manager allows manipulating drive letters so they can be anywhere and combined with JFS it is possible to grow a volume including having it larger then one partition

Meeko

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2015, 01:38:09 pm »
OS/2 WSEB and eCS come with the LVM manager as well as JFS. The LVM manager allows manipulating drive letters so they can be anywhere and combined with JFS it is possible to grow a volume including having it larger then one partition

I used OS/2's FDISK to make partitions in the .vdi.

I started with Warp 4.0 but now have 4.50 after installing FP15 and a number of other updates. I probably do not have LVM. I am familiar with it since I use LVM on my laptop. The laptop runs Linux and has full disk encryption. I don't use VirtualBox on the laptop at all due to lack of RAM.

I got FreeJFS 1.1 to work, but in another thread you advised me not to trust it. So I made my HPFS volume and XCOPYed everything over.

I am not opposed to getting eCS, but my financial situation has to get better first. Until then everything has to be free.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2015, 02:27:46 pm »
Hi Erich,

The VM container size has nothing to do with the partition size or the number of partitions in it.

I may be old fashioned but we always make a small HPFS boot partition which is then imaged using DFSee to allow a restore should there be problems. A second, or more, JFS partition is used for everything else (because of the work we do we do use more partitions to keep classes of work separated).

Google XR_C006 this is/was a beta fixpak from IBM testcase that works with most versions of Warp 4 and its derivatives.  It will give you LVM and the necessary support files as well as OS2DASD.DMD that is necessary for large partitions.

You might also consider using UPDCD to create an updated CD that includes all the fixes and other updates that you can then use to build your OS/2 VM without all the problems of updating a bit at a time.