Author Topic: AOOo 4111GA does not start  (Read 26821 times)

Meeko

Re: AOOo 4111GA does not start
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2015, 03:54:25 pm »
Erich,

EDITENG.dll and XO.dll are both part of the OpenOffice package and should be located in your OpenOffice.4\program directory. If they are missing then something went wrong with your install. They are also dependent on gcc1.dll, gcc473.dll and libc066.dll. There is a great little app called PMDLL (at hobbes.nmsu.edu) that you can use to figure out these kind of things...

I checked and they are present. I ran chkdll32 against each .dll and no error was reported. I still got the same errors when trying to run it against svxcore.dll or trying to start the application.

I tried adding D:\Apps\ApacheOpenOffice.4\program to LIBPATH, but it made no difference. At this point I tried PMDLL, but I could not find anything wrong.

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2015, 06:11:18 pm »
Hi Ian

Earlier releases of OpenOffice(pre 4) would not work with innotek_ft2lib_260_beta1.exe and required the 2.40 release. I seem to recall that innotek_ft2lib_260_beta1.exe caused problems with Desktop icons as well - some of the eCS desktop background images containing multiple images at different resolutions could not be displayed.

Other than that innotek_ft2lib_260_beta1.exe worked fine here for a while.

I'm not sure if AOO4 requires the Innotek font engine at all but if it does it will be the 2.40 release.

Regards

Pete

David McKenna

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2015, 06:43:31 pm »
 Erich,

As Andi B. notes, maybe you are using up all your shared memory? If you have the version 14.106 OS/2 kernel, you can try loading all the OpenOffice dll's into high memory using the script in the 'Extras' folder.

Meeko

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2015, 10:13:34 pm »

I'm not sure if AOO4 requires the Innotek font engine at all but if it does it will be the 2.40 release.

It does. Dave Yeo said so based on my chkdll32 errors, and installing it removed most of the errors. I did go with 2.40 per Ian Manners's suggestion.

Meeko

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2015, 10:17:21 pm »
Erich,

As Andi B. notes, maybe you are using up all your shared memory? If you have the version 14.106 OS/2 kernel, you can try loading all the OpenOffice dll's into high memory using the script in the 'Extras' folder.

I have 14.062_W4.

I tried increasing my guest's RAM from 128MB to 384MB, and it still made no difference.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2015, 11:05:18 pm »
The problem is that OS/2 before ver 4.5 could only address 1GB of memory with half of that given to the kernel. So an application by default can address 512MBs, both shared and static memory. Shared memory is further reduced by whatever DLLs are loaded so perhaps 300 MBs of shared memory available after booting.
Warp Server including Warp V4.5 (FP13+) can also address high memory, memory above the 1 GB barrier but IBM never finished adding the support and some 16bit APIs can't address high memory.
If you use the highmem program, using the script that others mentioned in the extras folder, DLLs can be loaded into high memory freeing up low memory and avoiding various problems when lower shared memory runs out. The problem is that most kernels have a bug and when closing a program using high memory the program crashes. Still worth trying to eliminate the possibility and if it works we can work on reducing your shared memory use or perhaps some kind soul will send you the newer kernel.

Meeko

« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2015, 01:07:12 am »
I have highmem.exe but no extras directory (I used PMSEEK on all fixed disks to be sure). The readme says all that is required to activate the feature is to run highmem. But it also says doing so with my kernel version will trap the system.

I tried bumping my guest RAM up to 768MB. It still made no difference. I don't like giving a guest over 1GB due to available RAM on the host.

Alex Taylor

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2015, 04:40:35 am »
I tried bumping my guest RAM up to 768MB. It still made no difference. I don't like giving a guest over 1GB due to available RAM on the host.

The amount of RAM isn't the issue. It's the amount of shared memory, which if I understand correctly has essentially no relation to the amount of installed physical memory. Shared memory is a finite resource with a maximum of a few hundred MB, no matter how much RAM your system has.

I'm no expert on the subject myself, but there are ways to increase the available shared memory. Lowering your VIRTUALADDRESSLIMIT in CONFIG.SYS (or defining it to something relatively low, like 512 or 1024) is allegedly one of them. There are others than more clever people can probably suggest.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2015, 08:45:09 pm »
There are others than more clever people can probably suggest.

Not any more clever, but the most effective thing, that I know of, is to add "dllbasing=off" (without the quotes) near the top of your CONFIG.SYS. It will slow the system slightly (you will never notice, unless you are using an old 486 SX), but it allows the system to make much more efficient use of shared memory space (which is usually what the problem is).

Meeko

« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2015, 10:06:56 pm »
There are others than more clever people can probably suggest.

Not any more clever, but the most effective thing, that I know of, is to add "dllbasing=off" (without the quotes) near the top of your CONFIG.SYS. It will slow the system slightly (you will never notice, unless you are using an old 486 SX), but it allows the system to make much more efficient use of shared memory space (which is usually what the problem is).

I made that the first line and tried AOO immediately after the desktop appeared. Still the same error.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2015, 10:22:07 pm »
I made that the first line and tried AOO immediately after the desktop appeared. Still the same error.

Scanning back through this thread, I see that you are trying to use kernel 14.062 I think you need at least 14.100 for dllbasing to work. I would suggest nothing less than 14.104, with all of the available fixes.

Get: http://www3.telus.net/public/bissett1/Warp4updates.txt and do the updates. I think all of the links are still valid, but I haven't checked for a while.

David McKenna

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2015, 10:44:16 pm »
 This: http://www.os2site.com/sw/upgrades/upgrades.html is also a great page for updating Warp 4. The 14.104a kernel is there. Get the one 'safe for Pentium Pro' and SMP (in order to be able to use ACPI).
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 10:55:48 pm by David McKenna »

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2015, 02:27:13 am »
This: http://www.os2site.com/sw/upgrades/upgrades.html is also a great page for updating Warp 4. The 14.104a kernel is there. Get the one 'safe for Pentium Pro' and SMP (in order to be able to use ACPI).

He won't be able to use the SMP kernel on his Warp v4 install as he won't have the right doscall1.dll, doesn't have access to ACPI either so for now he should just use the w4 kernel.
It's pretty hard to get SMP working on Warp v4 as well, too much is not SMP safe. I never managed to get it to stay up for more then a couple of minutes and why I eventually bought eCS 2.1

Andi B.

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2015, 11:38:43 am »
May I again suggest using above512 to see how much free RAM you have.

Meeko

« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2015, 11:50:33 pm »
I went to the kernel page that David McKenna suggested where I found two choices.

The first did not mention a version number, but it turned out to be 14.85_w4. Same svxcore.dll problem as before.

Then I tried 104a_uni, eschewing the _smp per Dave Yeo's post. This is (for now) without dllbase. First attempt, the splash screen showed up and the frame of the new user window appeared, but then it locked up. Inserting a CTRL-ALT-DEL did nothing so I had to reset the guest. I gave it another try once back at the desktop. And this time it worked  :o And this was with guest RAM set back to 128MB.

Once OS/2 has been in use for a while I will try to launch it again to get an idea of whether dllbase is still needed.

Since this may be the last kernel I can use, is it considered a fairly stable one?