Author Topic: [Arca Noae] Arca Noae and Serenity Systems International  (Read 36230 times)

Olafur Gunnlaugsson

• View Profile
Re: [Arca Noae] Arca Noae and Serenity Systems International
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2015, 08:45:42 am »
Lewis,

I seem to recall that one of Serenity System's early products was a product that could easily push configurations and applications from a central server out to multiple workstations.  Unfortunately i can't recall the name of that product, but I do seem to recall it worked fairly well.  Any idea what happened to that software (and did you happen to get the rights to it as a part of this announcement)? 

Just curious.

I recall that too.  My memory is faulty here, but I seem to recall that Bob St. John and Kim Cheung were working with a concept of rippling a slimmed down workstation or smart terminal off of a mainframe or a server.  I doubt I understood the concept though.  Might Serenity Managed Client be the application you have in mind?
There were three separate products, one of whom may never have shipped
One was a automatic configuration software that shipped with eComstation preview and possibly 1 but later disappeared and was somewhat underwhelming in practice, the other was the Serenity Managed Client, that was a version of WarpSpace on Demand with the automatic configuration client on top and some other tools to make deployment and remote config easier, that pre-dates eComStation

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2015, 11:30:02 am »
The one question that everyone has been skating round, 'where do we get new copies of OS/2 (eCS) from' has not been answered.

Arca Noae say they are concentrating on addons and enhancements to OS/2 and have implied that will not be selling the base operating system.  That is all very well but without the base operating system there is only a finite number of existing OS/2 users to purchase these new addons - a self defeating business plan.

Now, will someone please enlighten us as to where we are going to get new, as in new licence, versions of OS/2.

guzzi

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2015, 12:15:56 pm »
The one question that everyone has been skating round, 'where do we get new copies of OS/2 (eCS) from' has not been answered.

Arca Noae say they are concentrating on addons and enhancements to OS/2 and have implied that will not be selling the base operating system.  That is all very well but without the base operating system there is only a finite number of existing OS/2 users to purchase these new addons - a self defeating business plan.

Now, will someone please enlighten us as to where we are going to get new, as in new licence, versions of OS/2.

XEU and their resellers are the only ones who sell licences.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2015, 12:26:12 pm »
XEU and their resellers are the only ones who sell licences.

Strange that they are keeping very quiet about that.  I would have thought they would be shouting it to the rooftops.

Andi B.

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2015, 01:03:35 pm »
Strange that they are keeping very quiet about that.
Strange - not IMHO. I guess no one from XEU will ever read what we are talking about nor do they care. But of course everyone is free to ask them directly. If anyone gets a response let us know.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2015, 01:50:48 pm »
Menso de Jong just replied me yesterday after I sent him an email:

Martin,
we are still working on it. But, sorry, no confirmed date yet.
Regards, Menso
Mensys BV

So, it is good that he replies, but for the moment there are no fatcs, dates, or evidence of progress on a new releases of eCS.
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2015, 03:19:51 pm »
Andi B, it is strange because if they were interested in selling OS/2 (eCS) base operating system they would be telling all the OS/2 sites and the computing tech journals - they might even send out a press release but not a word from them.  It is as if they no longer exist except for a rather indifferent web page. 

edit:  I should add that the last time I went looking at what they offer under operating systems there was Mac OS and Linux but absolutely no mention of OS/2 or eCS.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 03:27:50 pm by ivan »

guzzi

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2015, 04:37:09 pm »
Andi B, it is strange because if they were interested in selling OS/2 (eCS) base operating system they would be telling all the OS/2 sites and the computing tech journals - they might even send out a press release but not a word from them.  It is as if they no longer exist except for a rather indifferent web page. 

edit:  I should add that the last time I went looking at what they offer under operating systems there was Mac OS and Linux but absolutely no mention of OS/2 or eCS.

That's what I thought but instead of eCS being on xeu.com they have hidden it on shop.xeu.com. Maybe it's a new kind of inverse marketing strategy. Give your product the least possible amount of exposure and  support, offer subscriptions but don't deliver the promised product etc. etc.to kindle interest...

Andi B.

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2015, 06:03:27 pm »
Andi B, it is strange because if they were interested in selling OS/2 (eCS) ...
You said it, IF they were....

In my perception they are not interested anymore. Of course if someone want to give them money they will take it with pleasure.

Martin, glad to hear you got a response. My emails to them are still unanswered since week :-( May I ask which email address you used? Neither Joachim nor info@mensys.nl answered to me.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2015, 06:43:20 pm »
Hi Andi B.

Menso replied me from menso-at-mensys.nl. Joachim email (joachim-at-mensys.nl) seems to be working too, since I didn't get any error message when I sent the e-mail.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Lewis Rosenthal

• View Profile
    • Tales from the Trenches of IT
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2015, 08:38:12 pm »
Hi, all...

I seem to recall that one of Serenity System's early products was a product that could easily push configurations and applications from a central server out to multiple workstations.  Unfortunately i can't recall the name of that product, but I do seem to recall it worked fairly well.  Any idea what happened to that software (and did you happen to get the rights to it as a part of this announcement)? 

Wise Manager was the product I recall, and no, we did not get the rights to it (nor was it discussed). that said, Olafur seems to have a better recollection of the available offerings (but no, we neither asked for nor received any of these).

I see some value in some old Serenity Systems article that are not longer available on the site.

Can I have your permission to republish the contents of this page on the OS2World Wiki under the Creative Commons Share Alike license?
https://web.archive.org/web/20041013102711/http://www.serenity-systems.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/CategoryDisplay?cgrfnbr=11552&cgmenbr=9803

I see no harm in republishing the content, Martin. It's in the wayback machine, anyway. Go for it. I wold suggest cleaning up the broken links, such as to serenityvirtual.c-m, which is now owned/parked by someone else (those pages are available in the wayback machine, too).

Cheers
Lewis
-------------------------------------------------------------
Lewis G Rosenthal, CNA, CLP, CLE, CWTS
Managing Member
Arca Noae, LLC                               www.arcanoae.com

Daniel

« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2015, 08:41:17 am »
Ah, memories. I still have another five years or so before I use up all my long term capital losses. But I lucked out on some other investments so no worries. ;)

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2015, 01:06:23 pm »
Thank you Lewis.

I'm consolidating and organizing the content from here: http://www.os2world.com/wiki/index.php/Serenity_Systems_International

Regards.
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Fahrvenugen

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2015, 04:04:11 am »

Wise Manager was the product I recall, and no, we did not get the rights to it (nor was it discussed). that said, Olafur seems to have a better recollection of the available offerings (but no, we neither asked for nor received any of these).

Yes Wise Manager is the product that I was thinking of.  Thanks to everyone for refreshing my memory.

David Kiley

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2015, 01:20:13 am »
Thus, people associate - to this day - Serenity Systems with eComStation, even though Serenity really had little or nothing to do with eComStation after 2007/2008.

Considering the about us page for ecomstation still credits serenity systems:
http://www.ecomstation.com/about_us.phtml

And the "visit our website" still links to serenty and not mensys.. I can't see how I would have expected people to think otherwise :). That should probably be changed considering it's claiming your newly acquired company is still responsible for ECS.

Not to mention Serenty nor Mensys ever really shared much of their internal changes.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 01:25:12 am by David Kiley »