Author Topic: Database programs  (Read 7943 times)

Per E. Johannessen

• View Profile
Database programs
« on: February 28, 2015, 10:16:50 pm »
Have used DBExpert for years but for various reasons I'm looking for another solution. Although a bit outdated, vprexx seems to be an alternative, however, I'm having some problems with it and ODBC. Trying to reverse engineer a database results in the error "-1 environment allocation error".
Looking for a small soltuion and have looked at QT and SQLite, but I only find sources for SQLite, no "ready to use" binaries.

Does anyone know about another "easy to use", solution (easy to use=DBExpert) ?

Roderick Klein

• View Profile
Re: Database programs
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2015, 10:54:12 pm »
Have used DBExpert for years but for various reasons I'm looking for another solution. Although a bit outdated, vprexx seems to be an alternative, however, I'm having some problems with it and ODBC. Trying to reverse engineer a database results in the error "-1 environment allocation error".
Looking for a small soltuion and have looked at QT and SQLite, but I only find sources for SQLite, no "ready to use" binaries.

Does anyone know about another "easy to use", solution (easy to use=DBExpert) ?

Does Apache Open Office from BWW not have a similiar type of application, seomthing DBexpert like ?
WIth a database application ?

Roderick

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2015, 03:10:40 am »
Hi Per

Have you checked out the SQLite Manager available as a Firefox/Seamonkey extension? - see https://code.google.com/p/sqlite-manager/

Regards

Pete

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2015, 06:20:04 am »
I have sqlite3 binaries if needed, last version before they removed OS/2 support. IIRC YUM/RPM also includes sqlite3.

Per E. Johannessen

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2015, 08:37:08 pm »
Thanks all, I now have various tools for creating dbf's.
(Latest OpenOffice Base keeps crashing at various points though.)

Still I'd like to have a gui tool to create a program to interact with the database so I've had a look at QT 4.7.3 and QT Creator 2.2.1.
Started Creator to explore some examples and it give this error: "No valid QT versions found"
Opened "Tools/Options"  and QT is indeed listed as "Auto-detected"

Found a message somewhere on the net about this, (think it was some Linux-group), and there it was suggested it had something to do with "Tool Chains" but my installation hasn't anything there. It has the option to manually add GCC, GCCE, RVCT and WINSCV, and if I add GCC it needs "Compiler path, Debugger and ABI".
Anyone knows what to put where?

(Both QT4 and QT Creator installed with YUM/RPM, and I'm not yet familiar with what is being put where....)

Per E. Johannessen

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2015, 05:09:48 pm »
Found the answer, some GCC parts were missing.