Author Topic: Firefox Developer Edition 24.8.1b4  (Read 25886 times)

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
Re: Firefox Developer Edition 24.8.1b4
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2015, 06:54:57 am »
Make sure that the problems are reproducible with the Bitwise build before opening a ticket. They should be as both are almost identical code and build environment.
Actually at this point, wait for FF 31 and test with that. (Should be soon, I have it compiling currently (takes at least 8hrs on my 2.4GHz c2d) and hope this time it actually finishes as now xul.dll is linking)
As for your (Joop) problems. The focus seems to only affect you, have you tried a new profile?
And the download thing, SeaMonkey has a problem with its Download Manager for some but works flawlessly for me. Not using it is the workaround. This is the first I've heard of download problems with FF. My first guess would be shared memory issues that may be fixed by marking the DLLs to load high. Another workaround would be to install awget (Hobbes) and simply copy the URLs that you want to download to the clipboard or use the included plugin. Awget will call wget or curl to do the actual download.
Viewing PDFs in the included JavaScript PDF viewer does use a lot of shared memory.

Joop

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2015, 01:55:54 pm »
Thanks Dave for your answer.

Make sure that the problems are reproducible with the Bitwise build before opening a ticket. They should be as both are almost identical code and build environment.
I don't know what's going on, so putting in a reproducible problem will be difficult. Tried it before and it all ended in some kind of "yes-no war". So I stopped.

As for your (Joop) problems. The focus seems to only affect you, have you tried a new profile?
I did this before with FF17 with no result. I don't think it will give a result now. I make a new directory and put in the zip, copy a few files to it for starting up with run. Change the Firefox!.ENV for correct directories. I have the data produced by the program in an other directory. I copy the directory from FF17 to FF24. Most sub directories are empty, contains of cache is deleted. Most extra add on's  and alike have to be installed again, one is language, I do live in Holland and I use Dutch. The program does do a check on those if they are compatible with the version, I trust on that function. In the "root" of the data directory are only *.db or *sqlite files which are no more than databases. I don't see how this can effect a program problem on focus, you have to explain that to me. Of course I have all the necessary files or in OS/2 dll or in ECS dll directories. In the config.sys are already lines for pointing to these directories. So FF24 whatever just starts and run.

Had with this version the problem of tabpages, found no line in about:config to handle it, but there are some programs which can deal with this.  I used tab mix plus, set it to no tabpage if I have only one window open. But this has nothing to do with focus.

My first guess would be shared memory issues that may be fixed by marking the DLLs to load high. Another workaround would be to install awget (Hobbes) and simply copy the URLs that you want to download to the clipboard or use the included plugin. Awget will call wget or curl to do the actual download.
The problem with downloading more than 3 files is not new, I believe its from before version 10. As far as I know it had to do with proper deleting of some internal cache which overflows. Getting other programs in place to do the job is in my vision not the right way to fix things.

Viewing PDFs in the included JavaScript PDF viewer does use a lot of shared memory.
Can't see that, there is no tool in OS/2 for viewing this alive, lets say a program in the X workplace or Ecs bar. The Javascript PDF viewer is working, but slow on my system. But as soon as it opens you get also a bar with the option of viewing it in a separate program, which is Lucide for me. Beyond that, the Javascript PDF viewer does have issues with pdf's if you want to magnify for a bigger character so you can read it. Didn't find a solution when you get two pages at the same time on screen. Those are very small on my screen (1024x768) and can't be read this way.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 01:59:32 pm by Joop »

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2015, 07:35:38 pm »
Hi Joop, not much time right now so a couple of quick comments.
Create a new profile by starting firefox.exe -profilemanager and test with new profile.
Here is a simple applet to measure shared memory. Run it and note if it gets low such as 10MBs (it varies when things get unstable, I currently have 187MBs free)

Joop

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2015, 03:04:55 pm »
Create a new profile by starting firefox.exe -profilemanager and test with new profile.
Makes only a new directory with a new name and some files which are the same. Have to copy my data in it which was a real pain with 17 and as stated no result in focus. If there is nothing below your cursor you will get the chosen new link. But if there is something below on the page it will get that link instead of the one in your list.

Here is a simple applet to measure shared memory. Run it and note if it gets low such as 10MBs (it varies when things get unstable, I currently have 187MBs free)
Thanks, I currently have 166Mbs free.